2019 NCAA Football Thread - College Gameday is Live from Mainstreet Train Station!!

Captain Barbossa

So I've been doing some thinking, and I just want to gather the opinions of others. It's been made very clear by the CFP committee that a non P5 team won't ever make the playoffs, so my question is, what's the point of ranking non P5 teams then? Just so they can get a less crappy bowl bid?

21stamps

Nope, still not impressed. Sorry. Wisconsin was/is overrated, and we all know that. All they have is Jonathan Taylor and that's it. No QB or any skilled WRs, and their defense is pretty much average, if not below. Look, I'm not trying to constantly rip on your Buckeyes, but I'm just not impressed. I am interested to see how OSU fairs against PSU later in November though.

Have you watched them? Serious question

If the case against them is “who have they played?” Then why wouldn’t you ask the same of Alabama? (Who has a weaker schedule btw)
That’s why the Ohio State hate never makes sense to me.lol. I might not like certain teams, but I will admit when they have talent. I haven’t heard of anyone who has watched the 2019 Buckeyes and came away saying “I’m not impressed”.

I mean, OSU has 3 players in the Heisman running... Do you think the AP and coaches, and every sports publication/network in the USA is basing their rankings/opinions on Ohio State beating some weak teams?

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
So I've been doing some thinking, and I just want to gather the opinions of others. It's been made very clear by the CFP committee that a non P5 team won't ever make the playoffs, so my question is, what's the point of ranking non P5 teams then? Just so they can get a less crappy bowl bid?
Maybe to give hope....for all of the contemporary contenders to have three or more losses, and 3 of the P5 champs to have at least 2 losses?

TaoBoxer

Basically, to give them a "participant trophy" in the form of a NYE bowl. Which is rather lame. 2 years ago UCF should've received a shot.

Captain Barbossa

Good game last Saturday night against BC. Luckily the rain held off until late in the 4th quarter. Offense played very well. Trevor had a good night passing and Etienne had a good night rushing. Defense also played well and had Dillon’s number for the majority of the game. Overall, good game and a good win.

Should be a good one tomorrow afternoon against Wofford. It’s Military Appreciation Day and that always provides a very unique and special atmosphere. Wofford is very similar to GT at the moment. Their longtime head coach, Mike Ayers, who ran nothing but the triple option, just like Paul Johnson did at GT, has retired, so the Wofford offense is still trying to find their new identity. Just like going into the GT game, I’m interested to see if they’ll run the triple option any, or if they’ve gone in a new direction offensively. Anyways, our guys are ready to hit the field tomorrow. It’s the start of November, which means we’re entering the Championship Phase. Just need to stay focused and take care of business.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Here is what it should be:
1) LSU
2) OSU
3) Penn State
4 Clemson
5) Bama
6) Georgia

Here is my prediction:
1) LSU
2) OSU
3) Bama
4) Clemson
5) Penn State
6) Georgia

All of the above need only to win out to be in

4th Spot scenarios of note:

* Baylor - Win out and you're in
* Minnesota - Win out, BIG 12 champ is not undefeated and you're in
* Bama - 1 Loss Bama could make if the loss is NOT to LSU....MUST beat LSU (would win the West with additional win over Miss State) and then Bama could lose to Auburn and win the SEC Championship and are in. Could go to SEC Championship undefeated and lose, and still go with a weak BIG 12 Champion.
* Oklahoma - 1 Loss BIG 12 champ....would need Bama and OSU not to be 2nd Place in their conference(s)
* LSU - Can lose to Bama and still go with Undefeated Bama winning the SEC Championship....would need a weak BIG 12 Champion
* OSU - Could lose to Penn State and Still go with Undefeated Penn State winning the BIG Championship....would need a weak BIG 12
Champion AND a 2 Loss Pac 12 Champ. Could Also go Undefeated and lose the BIG Championship and go if Bama is Undefeated, and BIG 12 Champ is weak.

Captain Barbossa

Just in: Willie Taggart is out at FSU.

Not surprised at all. FSU is on the verge of not being bowl eligible for the 2nd year in a row. Not to mention the bad loss to Miami yesterday, a team they really should’ve beaten. His buyout was a little over $17million, and apparently FSU received around $20million in “private donations” to go towards his buyout in less than 24hrs following yesterday’s game.

As I’ve thought more about it, they didn’t really give him a chance. He was there for a little over a season and a half. You have to be patient when rebuilding a program like FSU. Championships just don’t happen overnight.

Last edited:

21stamps

Here is what it should be:
1) LSU
2) OSU
3) Penn State
4 Clemson
5) Bama
6) Georgia

Here is my prediction:
1) LSU
2) OSU
3) Bama
4) Clemson
5) Penn State
6) Georgia

All of the above need only to win out to be in

4th Spot scenarios of note:

* Baylor - Win out and you're in
* Minnesota - Win out, BIG 12 champ is not undefeated and you're in
* Bama - 1 Loss Bama could make if the loss is NOT to LSU....MUST beat LSU (would win the West with additional win over Miss State) and then Bama could lose to Auburn and win the SEC Championship and are in. Could go to SEC Championship undefeated and lose, and still go with a weak BIG 12 Champion.
* Oklahoma - 1 Loss BIG 12 champ....would need Bama and OSU not to be 2nd Place in their conference(s)
* LSU - Can lose to Bama and still go with Undefeated Bama winning the SEC Championship....would need a weak BIG 12 Champion
* OSU - Could lose to Penn State and Still go with Undefeated Penn State winning the BIG Championship....would need a weak BIG 12
Champion AND a 2 Loss Pac 12 Champ. Could Also go Undefeated and lose the BIG Championship and go if Bama is Undefeated, and BIG 12 Champ is weak.

I honestly don’t think Bama will be in the top 4.

I’m excited to see how this all plays out. College football has some great games coming up.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
I honestly don’t think Bama will be in the top 4.

I’m excited to see how this all plays out. College football has some great games coming up.
So what would your top 6 be?

And.....Bama could care less this week....they HAVE to beat LSU, and the rest will play out

21stamps

So what would your top 6 be?

And.....Bama could care less this week....they HAVE to beat LSU, and the rest will play out

I think your “ how it should be” is probably how it will be.

If Bama loses to LSU, they’re out of any playoff scenario imo. If LSU loses, this team should still and most likely will get in. But then does Bama go too?
Same thoughts on what will happen with OSU and Penn State when one loses to the other, and if then goes on to win out. I don’t see a scenario where they’ll all go to the playoffs, but there aren’t many better teams right now. I don’t know how it’s going to play out.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Intial CFP is out; here are the tams with a shot to make the final:
1) OSU
2) LSU
3) Bama
4) PSU
5) Clemson
6) Georgia
7) Oregon
8) Utah
9) Oklahoma
12) Baylor
17) Minnesota

Keep in mind it was to create drama

21stamps

Intial CFP is out; here are the tams with a shot to make the final:
1) OSU
2) LSU
3) Bama
4) PSU
5) Clemson
6) Georgia
7) Oregon
8) Utah
9) Oklahoma
12) Baylor
17) Minnesota

Keep in mind it was to create drama

I’m sorry to keep hounding on Alabama this year, but how are they above Penn State? That doesn’t make any sense at all.

Also, just based on the schedules to this point, I’d put LSU above OSU.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
A few things to consider of the CFP
I’m sorry to keep hounding on Alabama this year, but how are they above Penn State? That doesn’t make any sense at all.

Baesd on schedules, you could easily have PSU ahead of OSU as well......
Historical notes from the CFP:
- The #1 Team in the Final Regular Season rankings gets first choice of Bowls. The Peach is geographically desirable to the current Top 6.
- The Initial #1 Ranked Team, has NEVER won the CFP. 2014 Miss State, 2015 Clemson, 2016 Bama, 2017 Georgia, 2018 Bama
- The Final Regular Season Ranked #1 has Never won the CFP 2014 Bama, 2015 Clemson, 2016 Bama, 2017 Clemson, 2018 Bama
- The Peach Bowl Winner has NEVER won the CFP, nor has the Orange, or Rose
- The Cotton, Fiesta, and Sugar have produced ALL CFP Champs, as have the #2, or #4 ranked teams (No #1 or #3)
- The B1G has been outscored 72-0 in last two trips to CFP
- Oklahoma is 0-3 in the CFP, as is the Big 12
- Initial CFP Ranking Longshots made the CFP in 2014 (#16 OSU), and 2015 (#14 Oklahoma)
- The CFP Committee has gotten better at predicting the Final rankings as #6 Ohio State, and #5 Oklahoma were the "Longshots" the past two years

Last edited:

21stamps

A few things to consider of the CFP

Baesd on schedules, you could easily have PSU ahead of OSU as well......
Historical notes from the CFP:
- The #1 Team in the Final Regular Season rankings gets first choice of Bowls. The Peach is geographically desirable to the current Top 6.
- The Initial #1 Ranked Team, has NEVER won the CFP. 2014 Miss State, 2015 Clemson, 2016 Bama, 2017 Georgia, 2018 Bama
- The Final Regular Season Ranked #1 has Never won the CFP 2014 Bama, 2015 Clemson, 2016 Bama, 2017 Clemson, 2018 Bama
- The Peach Bowl Winner has NEVER won the CFP, nor has the Orange, or Rose
- The Cotton, Fiesta, and Sugar have produced ALL CFP Champs, as have the #2, or #4 ranked teams (No #1 or #3)
- The B1G has been outscored 72-0 in last two trips to CFP
- Oklahoma is 0-3 in the CFP, as is the Big 12

I just want to know the process. If they’re not allowed to factor in the previous year.. then how do these ranking make sense? What formula are they using?

There is a case for OSU as number one just based on their play, but adding in strength of schedule in the previous weeks, LSU should take the lead. PSU, LSU, OSU should be top 3 regardless, in any order... but they definitely look like the top 3 in the country based on the season so far.

A lot of football left and some season changing matches ahead.. I guess we’ll see how this plays out.

21stamps

I just went back and double checked the schedules in case I missed something. Nope. Alabama has the weakest schedule of the top 5.

Exciting times though.. now they’ll eat each other alive. I don’t want to be too overconfident about November. I need my Bucks to win against Penn State.

I love college football. Strange rankings and all..

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster

Where would you choose to go if you're #1 in the Final CFP?
IF
I just want to know the process. If they’re not allowed to factor in the previous year.. then how do these ranking make sense? What formula are they using?

There is a case for OSU as number one just based on their play, but adding in strength of schedule in the previous weeks, LSU should take the lead. PSU, LSU, OSU should be top 3 regardless, in any order... but they definitely look like the top 3 in the country based on the season so far.

A lot of football left and some season changing matches ahead.. I guess we’ll see how this plays out.
Another question is, did LSU and Oregon benefit from scheduling Texas and Auburn respectively? It seems Minnesota, Baylor, and Oklahoma were sent a message for NOT doing the same. If that IS the case, how did LSU NOT end up #1?

Following that thought.....Clemson #5? While I agree their schedule is soft, the DID schedule A&M, and A&M was thought to be a Top 5 Team this year. Clemson DID schedule a tough opponent...where is the CFP committee consistency there?

The Top 3 (I agree with you) are clearly LSU, OSU, and PSU, based on current resume, with Bama and Clemson trailing behind.

@Captain Barbossa .... you've made it! You are a Southern Powerhouse and the hate has began.......

21stamps

One more thing-

To the Ohio State haters here.. maybe now you’ll pay attention to them. You might just be impressed. :)

21stamps

Where would you choose to go if you're #1 in the Final CFP?
IF

Another question is, did LSU and Oregon benefit from scheduling Texas and Auburn respectively? It seems Minnesota, Baylor, and Oklahoma were sent a message for NOT doing the same. If that IS the case, how did LSU NOT end up #1?

Following that thought.....Clemson #5? While I agree their schedule is soft, the DID schedule A&M, and A&M was thought to be a Top 5 Team this year. Clemson DID schedule a tough opponent...where is the CFP committee consistency there?

The Top 3 (I agree with you) are clearly LSU, OSU, and PSU, based on current resume, with Bama and Clemson trailing behind.

@Captain Barbossa .... you've made it! You are a Southern Powerhouse and the hate has began.......

I definitely think Clemson should round out the top 4, in 4th. Their schedule is weaker than LSU OSU & PSU, but they have a played a couple of tougher opponents than Alabama has.

Alabama has a good offense. I want to see how that plays out when they play a team with a strong defense, and a strong offense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom