Is Disneyland Paris better than the parks at WDW?

DreamalittleDisney

9 years since I visited DLP never had the urge to go back (we are from the UK) just doesn't give off the magic for me like WDW does.. also when we have compared prices although WDW is far from cheap we do seem to get up much more for our money going 10-14 days trips compared to what just a couple of days in DLP would cost

EOD K9

I have never been to Paris, my son when he was in high school his class took a trip to Paris and his only comment was the people of Paris were the most nasty people and he would never go back. Have others found this of Parisians? They went on to Barcelona and loved it.
I've been to Paris often to watch the Tour de France and also DLP. I think it is a very charming park. It seems more charming than the others. I also visit WDW frequently and have been to DL twice so I can make an informed comparison. As far as the rudeness goes, my French is passable and even though its obvious I am an American, because I can get by and understand the general culture and etiquette, I havent had a problem. Others' mileage may vary.

SpiteriFam

I really can’t look beyond the fact that when we went to Paris (albeit in February) it was bitterly cold. I’d take August heat in Orlando over that any day.

We also found there to be no comparison whatsoever in terms of friendliness of staff. The staff in Paris were nowhere near those in Orlando

Trekkie101

I would say DLP are moving the needle for sure, there’s a lot more positive here than there used to be.

I think once WDS 2.0 rolls out fully, the resort is going to be appreciated a lot more, it truly does double/triple the size of that park.

For me the food is a lot better in Paris, the rides are obviously a bit newer and that can mean better, I really enjoy getting two different parades a day fairly consistently. The season rotations are more “involved” and are fun.

There are definitely less rides and I’m sure more can be done fairly easily to fix that.

Waits often are not as high though so it’s a bonus.

WDW does a have a lot more to do though, it’s easier to occupy your time there.

LittleBuford

It’s a stunning park with wonderful attractions, but it lacks the Disney “feel” that distinguishes WDW and the original Disneyland (I can’t speak to the Asian parks). While the CMs are good at their job and perfectly friendly, few of them are as visibly enthusiastic as their American counterparts, which sort of dents the magic for me. And then there’s the ubiquitous smoking: guests light up wherever and whenever they wish, with never any intervention (that I’ve seen) from the CMs. It’s very difficult to enjoy the immersiveness of the theming when you’re surrounded by cigarette smoke!

LittleBuford

Smoking is a real turn off.

I prefer the CMs though, a lot of the enthusiasm in WDW comes across as fake. I would say it’s a cultural thing though, most Americans are perceived as over expressive in Europe, likewise were often seen lacking expressiveness.

I should add that I’m a Brit who now lives in the States. American friendliness can indeed come across as over-the-top to us Old Worlders, but if there’s any context in which a bit of excessive and even artificial joviality is welcome, it’s a Disney theme park. :)

LittleBuford

I’m going to Paris next summer for our honeymoon. We plan to do 1-3 days in DLP

If it’s your first time there and you’re not staying for very long, please don’t neglect Paris itself! Three days out of a week (for example) would be too much to devote to Disney, and I say that as a huge Disney fan.

Congratulations, by the way!

rk03221

If it’s your first time there and you’re not staying for very long, please don’t neglect Paris itself! Three days out of a week (for example) would be too much to devote to Disney, and I say that as a huge Disney fan.

Congratulations, by the way!

Thank you and we feel the same way. Probably only do one day, we aren’t sure. We are in Paris for a week so we want to focus on the city itself.

LittleBuford

Thank you and we feel the same way. Probably only do one day, we aren’t sure. We are in Paris for a week so we want to focus on the city itself.

You can get a lot done in a day, including hopping between the two parks (they’re right opposite each other). Enjoy!

cjkeating

Disneyland Paris is certainly a work in progress from it's lowest point at the beginning of the decade, my quick fire status of where things are as follows based on my visits over the past few years:
  • Disneyland Park - just about complete, I know people would like more rides but I'd be happy if the park just stayed as is for the foreseeable (except Hyperspace needs to go, stat)
  • Walt Disney Studio's Park - in progress, if all of the plans come together it should be in a really good place and a strong second park by 2024(?)
  • On sites hotels - nearly complete but once Disneyland Hotel is complete after Hotel New York they need to ensure they go back and revisit all of the hotels that have already been done, each hotel refurbishment has improved on the last so this needs to transfer through to the first hotels that were renovated such as Sequoia and Santa Fe.
  • Disney Village - urgently needs its remodelling announced, I spent some time in Disney Village in September and what is there isn't bad, it's just on the outside everything looks terrible. I am worried that this refurbishment has slipped until after the 30th.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I really can’t look beyond the fact that when we went to Paris (albeit in February) it was bitterly cold. I’d take August heat in Orlando over that any day.
Try Orlando in December. I was physically shivering on the ferry back to the TTC after a MVMCP.

And I had long pants on. And sleeves.

DLP in the summer is often akin to Anaheim.

seggerman

"
French people in general don't seem to like people who don't speak French, I've heard Montreal can be as bad as Paris for this.
I find that if I first try to communicate with my high school French the person I am speaking to realizes her English is better than my French and we switch languages. The assumption that American English is a lingua franca (especially in France!) is arrogant.

cheezbat

DLP, or more specifically Disneyland Parc, has a charm that has been mostly lost in Florida, but still exists at DL. And I don't think 3 days is too much to devote to DLP.
It isn’t too much. I spent roughly a week in Paris last year and 3 of the days were at Disney. The rest of the week we saw the sights in Paris. As a Disney fan, I think 3 out of 7 days is perfect.

I guess to each their own...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It isn’t too much. I spent roughly a week in Paris last year and 3 of the days were at Disney. The rest of the week we saw the sights in Paris. As a Disney fan, I think 3 out of 7 days is perfect.

I guess to each their own...

Exactly. It depends on what your goals are for visiting Paris. We were there for my wife running the DLP Half Marathon, so our focus was on DLP, but we had to take a day to spend in Paris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom