Insider info/ AMA on WDW's 50th Ann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiterallyNobody

Whoa! Now we KNOW you're a phony!

Believe what you want. In the next few days I am sure others will prove what I said positive.

That is actually one the reasons I have hesitated from posting real things on this forum for years. Doesn't matter what you say, if you have real info, hell you could be Walt Disney's ghost himself, people will always doubt you.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
@Disnerd2003 all I really wanna know is what REALLY went down to cause them to close Pleasure Island? Who ultimately made that decision? Was the island as a whole still profitable? Was it REALLY due to guest feedback? And why didn't they build the bypass, parking garages, and pedestrian bridge and still keep the concept? Lastly, is there any plan at all for bringing back a night time district only for adults?

I have extensively researched this since its closure. Curious to hear your thoughts and insight. Thank you!

justintheharris

I can actually answer this one.

Logistics wise, it was a terrible place for it. Cost wise, unless there was an upcharge it would lose money. Since upcharging after you pay a ton to get into the park is frowned upon in WDW (not so much in DL) it was cancelled.

The idea isn't TOTALLY dead, just not gonna happen in a park.
I don't know if I, an individual with an opinion against a corporation who probably sent out a team of scientists to determine it, would agree that the location wasn't very logistical BUT I can see the upcharge being an issue. But with that being said, running any of the rides results in a loss of money. But it's done to bring people in and to spread out crowds. Wouldn't the theater be not very much different?

LiterallyNobody

@Disnerd2003 all I really wanna know is what REALLY went down to cause them to close Pleasure Island? Who ultimately made that decision? Was the island as a whole still profitable? Was it REALLY due to guest feedback? And why didn't they build the bypass, parking garages, and pedestrian bridge and still keep the concept? Lastly, is there any plan at all for bringing back a night time district only for adults?

I have extensively researched this since its closure. Curious to hear your thoughts and insight. Thank you!

The Adventurers Club is the only chance to come back in one shape or form.. Lots of outcry there, but no real good location for it to come back.

LiterallyNobody

I don't know if I, an individual with an opinion against a corporation who probably sent out a team of scientists to determine it, would agree that the location wasn't very logistical BUT I can see the upcharge being an issue. But with that being said, running any of the rides results in a loss of money. But it's done to bring people in and to spread out crowds. Wouldn't the theater be not very much different?

Have you been in the entrance hub right after the night time show ended? It's chaos. Most "broadway" style shows don't happen until the evening. Per surveys that is when people would want then, to end the evening, to relax after a long day of walking around. Having both the evening shows AND the broadway style shows ending at the same time would be absurd.

As I said, the idea isn't completely dead (it's close), but it won't happen in a park. Look Disney Springs or "the pink bird" in 5 years..

justintheharris

Have you been in the entrance hub right after the night time show ended? It's chaos. Most "broadway" style shows don't happen until the evening. Per surveys that is when people would want then, to end the evening, to relax after a long day of walking around. Having both the evening shows AND the broadway style shows ending at the same time would be absurd.

As I said, the idea isn't completely dead (it's close), but it won't happen in a park. Look Disney Springs or "the pink bird" in 5 years..
Well hold up, who said they needed to end at the same time? They should both start at the same time and while Happily Ever After is over in about 17 minutes, the broadway style show is still going for another hour or possibly more.

Disneyson

If the fear is that it will cannibalize Cirque offerings, I wouldn’t worry. So many international guests make INCREDIBLY long trips out of Disney, and if you’re doing a week at the parks, it would be an excellent evening out, paired with a fancy meal. While attendance seems kinda flat in Shanghai’s Disneytown, I feel like the people visiting the US parks have more of an affinity and respect for Broadway-style shows. Just plop a similar concept into the tree trail spot and I feel like you have a winner. It’d have to be a brand-new show, though, so people who visit NY and WDW on their “United States” trips have an urge to visit it.

Disneyson

Are we really living in a world where people will spend $79 on a desert party but not a broadway show? Maybe throw in a cupcake to sweeten the deal for the show.

Perhaps, but they MAY be willing to pay $150 for a glass of champagne, an exclusive new-and-greet with one of the members of the cast, “priority seating”, a small box of chocolate you can bring to your seat, and a “collectible” playbill...

I feel like people will pay out the nose when alcohol is mentioned after a long day. Especially considering the false connotations that Disney experiences are not alcohol friendly.

TiggerDad

Well hold up, who said they needed to end at the same time? They should both start at the same time and while Happily Ever After is over in about 17 minutes, the broadway style show is still going for another hour or possibly more.
Also the shows at MGM run all day not just once at night. That would be a waste of a theater to sit empty all day. The value of this was to eat crowds to reduce lines at other attractions. Putting a theater at Flamingo Crossing (pink bird) isn't going to help with that.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
If the fear is that it will cannibalize Cirque offerings, I wouldn’t worry. So many international guests make INCREDIBLY long trips out of Disney, and if you’re doing a week at the parks, it would be an excellent evening out, paired with a fancy meal. While attendance seems kinda flat in Shanghai’s Disneytown, I feel like the people visiting the US parks have more of an affinity and respect for Broadway-style shows. Just plop a similar concept into the tree trail spot and I feel like you have a winner. It’d have to be a brand-new show, though, so people who visit NY and WDW on their “United States” trips have an urge to visit it.

Would the MK theatre have been so much bigger than the Hyperion theatre in DCA? The Frozen show there is performed during the day and multiple times per day. Would the MK theatre have been so much different? I don’t remember reading that this was supposed to be a night time only show.

justintheharris

Also the shows at MGM run all day not just once at night. That would be a waste of a theater to sit empty all day. The value of this was to eat crowds to reduce lines at other attractions. Putting a theater at Flamingo Crossing (pink bird) isn't going to help with that.
Hmm perhaps it could have run smaller shows throughout the day similar to the ones in Hollywood Studios but at 8:30, one big production that is a fully fleshed out show?

RSoxNo1

I will drop one more tidbit, while not WDW related, it's still cool.

On the most recent cruise on the Disney Fantasy, they tested "projection mapping" of a show off the sides of the ship onto the ocean. Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else before, ask another insider to verify.
That sounds amazing. Ariel, Nemo, Mona, and Pirates? Was it a success?
This worked so well with the mermaids in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom