News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

thequeuelinelectures

We should discuss more on this, if they are going to break ground on this soon we should know if it’s a spinner by the building shape (unless it’s shaped like a normal building). Fingers crossed for something better then a spinner, I still believe the way they described it doesn’t scream “spinner” to me but, of course I’m probably wrong.

My money would still be on an elaborate spinner. My only hope is that it has multiple carousels to increase capacity. More like the double turntables on Smugglers Run though than dueling dumbo’s so you don’t even know the other exists

Kman101

Both movies are set in Cherry Tree Lane, both have Admiral Boom's house with a canon (you can see the canon going off in the preview video!) I don't think it's a big deal. If anything MPR is the reason it was greenlit. They've probably always wanted to add a Mary Poppins attraction but I could see it being a hard sell for a movie that came out in 1964. The new movie breathed life into the IP.

The original has retained it's popularity. I believe that was their reasoning but they didn't need a "reason" to greenlight a Mary Poppins attraction. The name alone is well known in pop culture. It didn't need a sequel to justify an attraction but under the current management mind-frame, you'd be correct.

Kinda interesting too how they don't say either way what "attraction" we're getting. If it were a ride, they'd say so.

Kman101

New Up!-themed restrooms, confirmed!

It seems like Kevin will be moving from AK to Epcot ;) LOL along with what looks like a Tea Party set from Alice. Wonder if instead of a beer garden we get some "character trail" type thing in "World Celebration"

I'd like to see a better look soon at the hub area, we just get glimpses and the big big piece of concept art.

Buffalo

Has anyone talked about this weird blob of horizontal lines in the concept art? It doesn't match the faux background with the clock tower or the building chimneys on the right hand side. And IMO, it's colored go-away-green.....which can only mean to me that it's a show building.

Also, have all of you seen Tony Baxter's original Mary Poppins concept? It predates his Imagineering days but still might give us good hints of what's to come!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Has anyone talked about this weird blob of horizontal lines in the concept art? It doesn't match the faux background with the clock tower or the building chimneys on the right hand side. And IMO, it's colored go-away-green.....which can only mean to me that it's a show building.

View attachment 418694

Also, have all of you seen Tony Baxter's original Mary Poppins concept? It predates his Imagineering days but still might give us good hints of what's to come!

The background blob is the showplace pavilion. The Baxter ride isn't happening. Both have been discussed in this thread already I believe.

Buffalo

I always go back to the 2017 D23 Epcot concept art and realize how many details we overlooked because they were obscure....only to realize they were legit pieces of the puzzle.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
But kind of seriously though, @MisterPenguin why would Disney feel the need to include it in the art? Even if the land expansion does butt up to the showplace pavilion, why would we care at this point so early in the process?

My thoughts are that the green blob IS* (or was) the Poppins show building and plans possibly changed. I still don't think it's a depiction of
Showplace. It appears as though this green building is joined to the Cherry Tree Lane facade with nary an inch between the two structures, at least that's how I perceive it. If it's Showplace the distance to/from Poppins would be a much larger gap. The painterly strokes used to camouflage this aspect of the concept art also do not match the shape of the Showplace building or it's vertical-striped exterior, IMO. Artistic license? Maybe. But I'm not sure. Why bother showing this at all if it's part of a different pavilion? Seems an odd "choice" to purposely add something that for all intents and purposes shouldn't be included in concept art.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Jim Hill stated on the very latest show with @lentesta that there is still internal debate regarding this attraction. That seems to run contrary to @marni1971 info that this is an indoor suped up carousel.
regardless, they better get started quickly if this is to be open at all in 2021.
I’ve purposely attempted to avoid the word “carousel”.

this project has been internally debated since its inception.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My thoughts are that the green blob IS* (or was) the Poppins show building and plans possibly changed. I still don't think it's a depiction of
Showplace. It appears as though this green building is joined to the Cherry Tree Lane facade with nary an inch between the two structures, at least that's how I perceive it. If it's Showplace the distance to/from Poppins would be a much larger gap. The painterly strokes used to camouflage this aspect of the concept art also do not match the shape of the Showplace building or it's vertical-striped exterior, IMO. Artistic license? Maybe. But I'm not sure. Why bother showing this at all if it's part of a different pavilion? Seems an odd "choice" to purposely add something that for all intents and purposes shouldn't be included in concept art.

I've already shown it's Showplace with actual evidence. At this point, you're going on belief.

Here's what's been posted before...

That go-away green building is part of the Millennial Showcase tent...

View attachment 402771

I doubt they'd actually paint it green, so, artist's liberty.

(See, @Buffalo, this is why you should read the whole thread.)

Here's a more top down look....

It doesn't matter what the artist's intentions are. The fact is that where that green blob is in the artist's concept is in fact, without any doubt, Showplace. And our Insider has said that Showplace wasn't and isn't going anyplace until they run out of pavilion pads, of which, there are plenty left.

There's a green blob on Disney's map where the Southwest quadrant of Innoventions used to be. Doesn't mean it's now a grassy knoll or that it was going to be a grassy knoll at some point.

nickys

Premium Member
I've already shown it's Showplace with actual evidence. At this point, you're going on belief.

Here's what's been posted before...

(See, @Buffalo, this is why you should read the whole thread.)

Here's a more top down look....

View attachment 418720

It doesn't matter what the artist's intentions are. The fact is that where that green blob is in the artist's concept is in fact, without any doubt, Showplace. And our Insider has said that Showplace wasn't and isn't going anyplace until they run out of pavilion pads, of which, there are plenty left.

There's a green blob on Disney's map where the Southwest quadrant of Innoventions used to be. Doesn't mean it's now a grassy knoll or that it was going to be a grassy knoll at some point.

I get the placement backs your explanation up.

But why show Elizabeth Tower (/Big Ben) as being behind it in the concept art? To my mind the go-away green could equally well represent roof tops of London.

So I can see this as being the concept art for the attraction where the artist is hedging his/her bets over a show building being there, whilst still being able to explain it as the Millenium Showplace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom