Concerns about the Matterhorn...

TP2000

If someone ever makes a feature length dramatized Walt Disney film bio, they had better include:

Foreign Dignitary: "Why is your Matterhorn full of holes?"
Walt: "Because it's a SWISS Mountain." (ba-dum tss!)

I don't care if Walt actually said it or if Marty Sklar made it up for the DL book or whatever. It needs to be immortalized on film. :D

It was reportedly the King of Belgium who asked Walt that during a visit in 1959.

planodisney

If Matterhorn needs rebuilding, there's no possible way Disney doesn't make it a Frozen ride. They have stated they will only be making IP rides from here on out and Frozen actually fits Fantasyland and the concept of a snow coaster. I don't like it, but it seems inevitable. I mean, if they can look at the recently redone Buena Vista street and say "that 1930's hotel should be an oil refinery from space," its clear they don't mind shoving IP in when it isn't wanted.
They didn’t do that. They remade ToT into GOTG with the plan to incorporate it into the future Marvel land. That’s very different than just retheming it with plans to just leave it as part of Hollywood.
Whether that was a good idea or not is debatable, but your characterization of what occurred isn’t really accurate.

Professortango1

They didn’t do that. They remade ToT into GOTG with the plan to incorporate it into the future Marvel land. That’s very different than just retheming it with plans to just leave it as part of Hollywood.
Whether that was a good idea or not is debatable, but your characterization of what occurred isn’t really accurate.

They did it with that idea, but they knew that Marvel Campus wasn't a certainty. Mission BO was the experiment. Given that Marvel plans fell through previously, they knew that this could likely be a stand alone attraction for quite awhile. They had also just incorporated TOT into a lot of the history and lore of Buena Vista street only 4 years earlier.

D.Silentu

Perhaps internally they weren't sure of Marvel's future, but they did publicly intimate that Guardians was only the beginning.

planodisney

They did it with that idea, but they knew that Marvel Campus wasn't a certainty. Mission BO was the experiment. Given that Marvel plans fell through previously, they knew that this could likely be a stand alone attraction for quite awhile. They had also just incorporated TOT into a lot of the history and lore of Buena Vista street only 4 years earlier.
Well come on, you could say “it wasn’t” certain about anything ever in the planning stage. They announced that GOTG was phase 1 of more Marvel additions to come when they first announced the attraction. It was the plan all along.

AJFireman

Here is the Disneyparks blog announcement saying it was new attraction that will anchor a broader universe of Super Heroes that will grow over time at Disney California Adventure park. This was with their first announcement before they even closed TOT. Also at the grand opening they had a manhole with the Avengers symbol next to the Collectors Fortress as a type of foreshadowing.

SirWillow

We were grateful that we took a ride on it this last trip. But wow is it a rough ride now. Not unbearable by any means, but nowhere near as smooth or enjoyable as it used to be. But then when you remember that it's the oldest tubular steel roller coaster in existence, and realize how many others in other parks have been removed because of how rough they've gotten... It's very possible that it's just that it's time has about run it's course.

Then the problem becomes, is there even a way to pull out and replace the track like they did with Space Mountain without removing the whole entire mountain? Is that even possible? Or does it mean that in trying to do so that the mountain itself is going to have to go? I hate that thought, as I love the Matterhorn, it's place in the park, it's history, and the whole thing. But I'm not sure it's going to be possible to do what needs to be done with it without a full removal and replacement.

Perhaps there is someone who knows better. It would be great if they could keep the mountain and give it a good refreshing and fix/ replace the track

SuddenStorm

We were grateful that we took a ride on it this last trip. But wow is it a rough ride now. Not unbearable by any means, but nowhere near as smooth or enjoyable as it used to be. But then when you remember that it's the oldest tubular steel roller coaster in existence, and realize how many others in other parks have been removed because of how rough they've gotten... It's very possible that it's just that it's time has about run it's course.

Then the problem becomes, is there even a way to pull out and replace the track like they did with Space Mountain without removing the whole entire mountain? Is that even possible? Or does it mean that in trying to do so that the mountain itself is going to have to go? I hate that thought, as I love the Matterhorn, it's place in the park, it's history, and the whole thing. But I'm not sure it's going to be possible to do what needs to be done with it without a full removal and replacement.

Perhaps there is someone who knows better. It would be great if they could keep the mountain and give it a good refreshing and fix/ replace the track

I recall hearing somewhere that the track was replaced by arrow in the '90s.... The track there now certainly doesn't resemble the one from '59.

I imagine a rebuild is possible.... But I don't trust modern Disney to not somehow botch the rebuild somehow.

mickEblu

I recall hearing somewhere that the track was replaced by arrow in the '90s.... The track there now certainly doesn't resemble the one from '59.

I imagine a rebuild is possible.... But I don't trust modern Disney to not somehow botch the rebuild somehow.

Its certainly a scary proposition. I’d give it the green light under the right management. In other words, not now.

Phroobar

For a series of parks that made $4.1 billion this year, pieces of cement falling off a fifty year old mountain should never occur. It makes you question what other cuts in maintenance are going on behind the scenes. Remember a guest died on BTMRR and another died at the Mark Twain because of cuts in maintenance so the parks could show huge profits. Executives never learn from their predecessors.

mickEblu

For a series of parks that made $4.1 billion this year, pieces of cement falling off a fifty year old mountain should never occur. It makes you question what other cuts in maintenance are going on behind the scenes. Remember a guest died on BTMRR and another died at the Mark Twain because of cuts in maintenance so the parks could show huge profits. Executives never learn from their predecessors.

Agree. It was the Columbia though

lazyboy97o

The 90s is when they considered a complete replacement but opted to go with the coaster of Theseus that has seen parts incrementally replaced over the years.

Agree. It was the Columbia though
And it was a cleat from the dock ripped off by the Columbia.

NateD1226

Seeing where the parks is headed, I don't think it will be rebuilt. Disney will probably just use some glue and tape and call it a day.

Darkbeer1

Over the last couple of decades, the Matterhorn track was replaced in sections. Extended refurb periods were required to do the work. One key safety feature in tubular steel track is a pressure system, where the track center is pressurized to detect leaks. If there is a leak, the track needs to be inspected.

So it is about time to start the process over...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom