Opinions on Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (Poll)

What would you want Disney to do with Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 234 62.6%
  • Re-theme it with a new band

Votes: 46 12.3%
  • Re-theme it with an IP

Votes: 71 19.0%
  • Don’t care/Not ever riding it anyway

Votes: 23 6.1%

• Total voters

Kate F

Original Poster
Based on some conversations I’ve seen here, people seem to have vastly different opinions when it comes to Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster: Starring Aerosmith. Some people want to see it be re-themed to properties such as Monster’s Inc. or The Incredibles. Others want to see it redone with a new band in the spotlight. Finally, others think it is fine as it is and is not in any major need of getting an upgrade.

Personally, I think the ride is fine as it is, and especially considering the shortage of rides at DHS, I don’t think an update should be a priority at the moment. Some years down the line, my opinion may change.

What are your opinions on RNRC? Do you think it should be changed or are you content with how it is now?

Moka

Well, it isn't in a state where it needs a major update. I think it's fine just the way it is. But at the same time, I would not mind if they decided to try something else with it. But if I had to choose, I'd just say leave it as it is for a couple more years.

Tom Morrow

I wouldn't have said this a couple years ago, but now I would place it fairly high on the list of WDW attractions that need a refresh. I believe Aerosmith was the perfect band choice and were just fine for quite a while. They were even slightly edge for Disney in 1999. But, Aerosmith has largely dropped out of the collective public consciousness. Do they even tour anymore? More than everything else though, I think the idea of rockstars and celebrities in general being larger than life, mysterious, glamorous figures is long dead, as are the carefree rock n roll lifestyle aesthetics. Today we can follow celebrities on social media where they openly share the mundane aspects of their lives, reply to us, etc. Modern music celebrities outside of pop stars go out of their way to show how they live relatively normal lives. So this whole "ooh, lucky you! You get to party with some mega rock stars! How glamorous!" point of view is, unfortunately, a bit dated. Similar to how we don't really have "behind the scenes" attractions anymore because everyone can see all the behind the scenes info they could ever want online.

Beyond that, the attraction just feels tired in general. The trains are rough and rattly and the ride would seriously benefit from newer trains with more modern, comfortable restraints. The plywood cutout visuals were always a bit tacky and very early DCA-ish. I don't think a new band is the answer. This is a rare instance where I would not be sad to see a non-IP experience replaced with one because I think there's lots of room for improvement, but ultimately I'd rather see a fresh, original concept.

Lilofan

Despite my better judgement I've got a soft spot for this ride. It's got plenty of mileage left in it yet!
My family and I were there several years ago when Steven Tyler and his group rode. We were all at the gift shop at the exit of the ride with all the other guests when Steven exited the ride and he said hi to everyone. It was quite the scene.

Marc Davis Fan

The problem is that it’s not immersive. Riding past 2-D cartoon-style images in an obvious roller coaster train that’s lightly decorated as a limo does not a quality theme park attraction make.

Interestingly, the Paris version solved that problem by making the story “a roller coaster built by the recording studio and the band” - not particularly aspirational, but at least immersive.

As long as a re-theme fixes the current lack of immersion - and doesn’t negatively impact the perfection of Sunset Blvd’s incredibly cohesive theming - I’d almost certainly be for it, regardless of whether it’s a band or an IP.

Epcot82Guy

I think it's great and the cross-LA story is fun. I wouldn't mind the flats in the ride being updated and a new band if they wanted. But I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

RScottyL

I rode it the last time I was there in 2013 and enjoyed it!

Not sure if Aerosmith has a "contract" on it and how long it will last, but I am fine keeping it the way it is. I would also be okay if it goes to another band.

Moka

Not sure if Aerosmith has a "contract" on it and how long it will last,
I believe there is a contract on it, I remember there being rumors about it like a year ago.. but I literally have not been able to find any sources that talks about any changes in their contract - or it going away anytime soon.

The Empress Lilly

Sunset Blvd’s incredibly cohesive theming
They did to Sunset Blvd's incredibly cohesive theming what r'n'r living did to Steven Tyler's good looks.

The left is the Toy Story gift shop. Followed by a crass open air hard liquor store. The right is the incredibly bland Pandora shop, portraying all the elegance of a bygone era of run-down 80s shopping mall in Baltimore. Followed by the generic BatB store.

Gone with the wind are all Heyday Hollywood references, most notably the car.

Sunset blvd and its shopping now has all the charm of the main hall of MCO: a few Disney souvenirs, tax-free jewelry and a drink to bide your time.

KRW101

That ride encompasses three of my favorite things; Roller coasters, Aerosmith and Disney. :)

When we were last there in August 2018, I noticed they were not playing Aerosmith in the courtyard, I think it's days are numbered.

I have come to terms with eventually the theme will be changed, so I ride as many times as I can when I am there. Sadly my favorite things don't last forever.

Marc Davis Fan

They did to Sunset Blvd's incredibly cohesive theming what r'n'r living did to Steven Tyler's good looks.

The left is the Toy Story gift shop. Followed by a crass open air hard liquor store. The right is the incredibly bland Pandora shop, portraying all the elegance of a bygone era of run-down 80s shopping mall in Baltimore. Followed by the generic BatB store.

Gone with the wind are all Heyday Hollywood references, most notably the car.

Sunset blvd and its shopping now has all the charm of the main hall of MCO: a few Disney souvenirs, tax-free jewelry and a drink to bide your time.

Declining by degrees :(

The Empress Lilly

Declining by degrees :(
Even this decade, as everybody and his brother on here said that DHS was just a half day park, there were trips where DHS was my favourite park. I loved the atmosphere that much. Plus the rides may have been few, but they were all awesome.

But now...

Between the loss of the GMR, the new music of Disney songs and big band background music, and the removal of so much classic Hollywood stuff, the park has declined by degrees into an often empty experience.

GE is awesome though - dissenting opinion here. Toy Story sucks. Both however feel like separate areas removed from DHS. (Which I understand is the idea. But the effect remains)

Tom Morrow

When we were last there in August 2018, I noticed they were not playing Aerosmith in the courtyard, I think it's days are numbered.
When the ride originally opened it didn't play Aerosmith anywhere except on the ride. This changed sometime in the early 00's. They changed the music back to a wider mix with the 2018 overhaul of all of the park's BGM. I actually like all of the new music loops - it gives the park a fresh, upscale feel.

stratman50th

I wouldn't have said this a couple years ago, but now I would place it fairly high on the list of WDW attractions that need a refresh. I believe Aerosmith was the perfect band choice and were just fine for quite a while. They were even slightly edge for Disney in 1999. But, Aerosmith has largely dropped out of the collective public consciousness. Do they even tour anymore? More than everything else though, I think the idea of rockstars and celebrities in general being larger than life, mysterious, glamorous figures is long dead, as are the carefree rock n roll lifestyle aesthetics. Today we can follow celebrities on social media where they openly share the mundane aspects of their lives, reply to us, etc. Modern music celebrities outside of pop stars go out of their way to show how they live relatively normal lives. So this whole "ooh, lucky you! You get to party with some mega rock stars! How glamorous!" point of view is, unfortunately, a bit dated. Similar to how we don't really have "behind the scenes" attractions anymore because everyone can see all the behind the scenes info they could ever want online.

Beyond that, the attraction just feels tired in general. The trains are rough and rattly and the ride would seriously benefit from newer trains with more modern, comfortable restraints. The plywood cutout visuals were always a bit tacky and very early DCA-ish. I don't think a new band is the answer. This is a rare instance where I would not be sad to see a non-IP experience replaced with one because I think there's lots of room for improvement, but ultimately I'd rather see a fresh, original concept.
I completely agree that celebrities aren't a big deal any longer.
They could re-theme it as DME from Orlando airport to Disney property! Of course if they put you onto I-4 (Thunder Road) the ride might last four hours! Think of the possibilities!!! Oh, and play It's a small world in a loop the entire time.
Just a suggestion....

JIMINYCR

Leave it alone... theres no real need to change things up. Aerosmith's music still fits the attraction and no one Ive heard coming off the ride is complaining that their experience would have been better with another bands tunes in place. And no one has complained about the studio routine or questioned.. Who are those guys. They are still relevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom