Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

The good news for Steven is that in the forthcoming zombie apocalypse, he will be able to exist among the zombies without them noticing. Imagine being that secure. Hot people like me are in trouble.

Kate F

How about 'no' says anyone running a business. Rides get updated, changed, overlaid, or completely replaced for a number of reasons. Otherwise, we'd still have Superstar Limo and The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Whether IP synergy is a good enough reason to change a particular attraction is debatable. But the idea of not touching anything and just adding more and more can be financial suicide as each attraction has a continued cost and a theme park business needs to decide if it's worth it to shoulder that cost. Especially if it's promoting not just a non-IP (like Figment) but some other IP your brand has nothing to do with (like Aerosmith).

The park is no longer about the business of Hollywood and getting behind the scenes (a limo ride to a gig), but enjoying the content of what Hollywood produces. In the end, all attractions will bend to that theme. RnRC will be rethemed at some point, especially if WDW adds something next to it and makes it part of a new Land.
Would you want to put RNRC down for several months with the small number of attractions DHS currently has?

Monorail_Orange

I agree on both counts. RnRC will need a retheme within 10 years.
For better or worse, I agree. However, in the grand scheme of that, I don't think anyone can legitimately argue (not that anyone is, but I'm thinking out loud here) that Aerosmith was a bad choice in the first place. It's been with this theme for 20 years, give or take, and for the time being, is still strong. (It's already outlasted California Screamin's original theme.) And a retheme, in the form of a good overlay in the next 5-10 years, is likely warranted.

Boo Birds

For better or worse, I agree. However, in the grand scheme of that, I don't think anyone can legitimately argue (not that anyone is, but I'm thinking out loud here) that Aerosmith was a bad choice in the first place. It's been with this theme for 20 years, give or take, and for the time being, is still strong. (It's already outlasted California Screamin's original theme.) And a retheme, in the form of a good overlay in the next 5-10 years, is likely warranted.
I disagree. Not many bands can stand the test of time and appeal to a large variety of people. Aerosmith has hits that pretty much everyone know and they have been around for decades. Everyone from adults to kids know at least some of their songs. Almost any other artist would not be as widely recognized for an attraction like this. Rock music also appeals to a wider audience than other genres.

ToTBellHop

I disagree. Not many bands can stand the test of time and appeal to a large variety of people. Aerosmith has hits that pretty much everyone know and they have been around for decades. Everyone from adults to kids know at least some of their songs. Almost any other artist would not be as widely recognized for an attraction like this. Rock music also appeals to a wider audience than other genres.
I would bet most under 20 don’t know Aerosmith songs, and they will only become less culturally relevant in the next 10 years. It’s done fine for 20 years, but its time is coming to an end.

Movielover

I would bet most under 20 don’t know Aerosmith songs, and they will only become less culturally relevant in the next 10 years. It’s done fine for 20 years, but its time is coming to an end.

All they need to do is add a couple of Areosmith songs to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 and they will be at the top of the charts again. ;)

Monorail_Orange

You seem to be misunderstanding my point. We evidently both agree that Aerosmith was an excellent choice. We also evidently both agree that RnRC is still good as it stands today. Where we seem to disagree is that you seem to believe the ride will never warrant a retheme, whereas I am saying that in 5-10 years it will be time for one. Also, you appear to be jumping to the conclusion that they would simply change out the band. I think when a retheme happens it will be a new premise (no longer will you be travelling through LA traffic to get to your concert with backstage passes), along with new "props" trackside.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

I rather it be torn down and something new be put in that place. Disney’s track record of rethemed attractions is atrocious. RNRC is too good to ruin with whatever garbage movie tie-in they have in mind. Either plus it with enhancements or leave it alone and focus on the parts of the park that needed to be addressed decades ago.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I rather it be torn down and something new be put in that place. Disney’s track record of rethemed attractions is atrocious. RNRC is too good to ruin with whatever garbage movie tie-in they have in mind. Either plus it with enhancements or leave it alone and focus on the parts of the park that needed to be addressed decades ago.
Is the Aerosmith tie-in really what makes the ride? Its a backstory, but not a really strong one IMHO. Would removing Aerosmith really ruin the ride? I’m all for plussing things too, but a simple retheme to something that ties into a larger area makes more sense to me than tearing it down.

The_Jobu

Is the Aerosmith tie-in really what makes the ride? Its a backstory, but not a really strong one IMHO. Would removing Aerosmith really ruin the ride? I’m all for plussing things too, but a simple retheme to something that ties into a larger area makes more sense to me than tearing it down.

It's just that Disney hasen't had the best track record lately with rebranding.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's just that Disney hasen't had the best track record lately with rebranding.
I hear that.

For me it would be replacing an average themed ride anyway so not a huge loss. In contrast to Tower of Terror where the current theme fits perfectly with the ride and the Hollywood Blvd area. Changing that to GoTG would have been a crime and not because I don’t like GoTG or think it’s a bad fit (I actually thought the one in DCA was decent) but because it would destroy the land itself. If for example they crammed in an Incredibles theme to RnRC and also built an Incredibles mini-land around it then the sum of the whole would be greater than keeping RnRC as is even if the ride itself is no better.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom