News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So you’re saying your mind isn’t made up as to it being fun or not?

I didn’t make any indication of how you personally felt about it, just that trying to convince someone on the subjective topic of fun is fruitless.
I’m saying I’ve been to it a couple times and I can recognize some of the good things and agree with some criticisms.

Everyone has an opinion on subjective matters. However - that doesn’t mean their opinion is right. This is a big problem that has emerged in the era of web and social media. It’s not a “right” to believe you’re “right”...as confusing as that case may be.

It’s a high quality build, but the attachment to IP is a problem and the design is flawed. Doesn’t mean it’s a disaster or offensive as some have said for effect...but very much flawed for the cost and what Disney wants out of their builds: which is longterm appeal first and foremost

And do you realize you said I made up my opinion??

I’ll give you a mulligan on that. This tiff would go badly anyway

Movielover

So you're comparing a different demographic of people in a foreign country at a different park (and clearly a failure of the CMs)... But beyond that, there's a difference between landscaping and a prop. Set up a sacrificial one that people can have their way with and take selfies next to.

Markiewong

Currently, it is. The shows are wonderful. The Golden Horseshoe was bursting with energy. The animatronics in pirates actually moved their lips. I was just there babe!
Just wanna jump in here. Paris is definitely not the top notch example of how Disney should run the park. Half of the attractions keep breaking down or is closed for refurbishment (again). And to put the cherry on top, we are not even getting Batuu as it looks now. Rather a smaller version of Galaxy's Edge with only Rise of the Resistance. I feel that European Disney fans are jealous of the stateside parks and vice versa.

Timmay

I’m saying I’ve been to it a couple times and I can recognize some of the good things and agree with some criticisms.

Everyone has an opinion on subjective matters. However - that doesn’t mean their opinion is right. This is a big problem that has emerged in the era of web and social media. It’s not a “right” to believe you’re “right”...as confusing as that case may be.

It’s a high quality build, but the attachment to IP is a problem and the design is flawed. Doesn’t mean it’s a disaster or offensive as some have said for effect...but very much flawed for the cost and what Disney wants out of their builds: which is longterm appeal first and foremost

And do you realize you said I made up my opinion??

I’ll give you a mulligan on that. This tiff would go badly anyway

Again, and then you can have the last word...you do or do not have an opinion on if you had fun or not? If you don’t have an opinion on that yet then I apologize. I just thought you said you had the same “take.”

Mickeyboof

Just wanna jump in here. Paris is definitely not the top notch example of how Disney should run the park. Half of the attractions keep breaking down or is closed for refurbishment (again). And to put the cherry on top, we are not even getting Batuu as it looks now. Rather a smaller version of Galaxy's Edge with only Rise of the Resistance. I feel that European Disney fans are jealous of the stateside parks and vice versa.

The stateside parks also break down frequently.

Refurbishments are usually a good thing.

Batuu isn’t really worth building again. Do we really need three full Batuu’s on the planet? I can’t even IMAGINE how the French CMs would handle “bright suns!!” And “what is a Star Tours ;) ;) ;)

When I went this year, I found the quality of the rides and the showmanship to be top notch. Again, the animatronics actually moved their lips. That’s something that doesn’t even well enough happen much at Disneyland.

The Halloween season right now has so much entertainment in a single day included in daily park admission! It’s wonderful.

Piebald

The Potter lands do have live entertainment and Ollivanders, the wand store, has a type of show that doesn’t involve an upcharge. The money exchange in Diagon is a kind of additional interaction for guests.

The shop windows in the Potter lands have always seemed like the most underrated part of the lands. I remember hearing that Tony Baxter was photographing each of them when he visited.

I’m surprised that Disney didn’t come up with something comparable for Star Wars. Imagine windows looking in on droid shops with an alien shopkeeper asleep behind the counter. That’s the sort of thing I really thought would equal or surpass the Potter atmosphere.
Hell, even something as simple as the creepy AA that occasionally opens the window and looks out at guests in Harry Potter land.

I like GE and am not as hyper critical as some but they really need some aliens walking around. Or at least some minimal movement AAs people can spend their time looking at.

Mickeyboof

How can anyone be convinced about something being fun...which is completely subjective in nature? Also, given your opinion is clearly made up, what point is there to it.

The comparison to the HP areas is always going to fail for a clearly defined and fundamental reason. The HP series has less than a handful of locations, and each are very carefully and painstakingly detailed in the books. They become as alive and intricate as the characters themselves. Diagon Alley, Hogwarts and Hogsmeade then become iconic because of this. It’s easy to reproduce three or four places that have had such attention to descriptive detail. There is no imagination involved for the visitor. The details have already been set for them.

The same can’t be said for the SW locations. First, they dwarf the HP locations is size and number, and second the movies do not go into nearly the descriptive detail of these locations. How is it possible to include all of these in a single land in a single park. I enjoyed SWGE a lot...but remember it is all completely subjective. It’s not objective at all. Let’s stop making out that it is.

...yet Pandora in it’s massive impossible scale still charmed the world.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Again, and then you can have the last word...you do or do not have an opinion on if you had fun or not? If you don’t have an opinion on that yet then I apologize. I just thought you said you had the same “take.”

I don’t know if I’d call it “fun”...but it’s not “boring” either.

I’d say maybe “enjoyable...but dull”? I wish I could be more eloquent with it but that’s what keeps coming back to me.

I do think that Disney needs to seriously recalculate/change directions with all its Star Wars material...including this in the not too distant future. They do seem to be moving that way on at least the production side and I hope it comes to parks and resorts too.

Better change that hotel concept...like now

Last edited:

TalkingHead

Hell, even something as simple as the creepy AA that occasionally opens the window and looks out at guests in Harry Potter land.

I like GE and am not as hyper critical as some but they really need some aliens walking around. Or at least some minimal movement AAs people can spend their time looking at.

I think of how classic WDI (well, Marc Davis) was so adept at making tableaus — think of the little scenes along the Rivers of America.

Why isn’t Galaxy’s Edge stuffed with that kind of thing? It gives guests a chance to explore the area, discover whimsical things, and be entertained and surprised.

ImperfectPixie

Ok...the idiots climbing the structures are not common occurrences.

I have no problem with the kids...or again...any of the 100 “managers” dressed in resort wear or business casual politely solving those blip issues
I do have an issue with the kids...if you don't teach them to respect other people's property when they're little, they won't when they're older. Reaching out to touch the robot is totally understandable and more than likely okay...but putting feet on it, etc.? NO WAY.

mergatroid

Ok...the idiots climbing the structures are not common occurrences.

I have no problem with the kids...or again...any of the 100 “managers” dressed in resort wear or business casual politely solving those blip issues

I don't believe he or she said they were? He was merely replying to your post when you said something like "I've yet to see riff raff in 30 years" which could be read as you trying to imply that it doesn't often happen, or never happens, otherwise why would you say it? I think they were just showing that it does happen, frequently enough for there to be photographs online showing that.

Last edited:

Timmay

I don’t know if I’d call it “fun”...but it’s not “boring” either.

I’d say maybe “enjoyable...but dull”? I wish I could be more eloquent with it but that’s what keeps coming back to me.

I do think that Disney needs to seriously recalculate/change directions with all its Star Wars material...including this in the not too distant future. They do seem to be moving that way on at least the production side and I hope it comes to parks and resorts too.

Better change that hotel concept...like now
Fair enough.
See, it didn’t end badly at all. ;-)

The Lochness Monsta

I do have an issue with the kids...if you don't teach them to respect other people's property when they're little, they won't when they're older. Reaching out to touch the robot is totally understandable and more than likely okay...but putting feet on it, etc.? NO WAY.

Yeah, I can't stand the parents that let there kids run wild. I understand you don't want to use a belt on your kid. But these parents nowadays have gone too much the other way. The kids are running the households.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
There hasn't been a visit to WDW when we haven't witnessed kids kicking walls, benches, etc., ripping leaves and flowers, trying to stomp on birds, rabbits, lizzards, etc. And what about their parents? They find this cute and funny, I guess. Some even act defiant if anyone notices or says something about their kids behaving this way!

If parents don't teach respect to their kids towards living beings, imagine how some would treat elements like ships and robots at SW:GE.

Sadly, the rest of us pay the price and get a less exciting experience. Just my opinion. 💁‍♀️

RobWDW1971

). And to put the cherry on top, we are not even getting Batuu as it looks now. Rather a smaller version of Galaxy's Edge with only Rise of the Resistance.

That means they're smarter. That would have been the better play domestically - just build a (hopefully) great attraction and save the money on the underwhelming MFSR and the terrible disappointment of Batuu. Park the Falcon out in front of the attraction like the X Wing in front of Star Tours in Paris and you have a winner.

But how will the French deal with not hearing "Soleils brillants!!!"?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Have you ever been around a kid? Just curious. Not condoning bad behavior...just not expecting WDI to design based on it.

Let’s face it: putting it behind fences is for ONE big reason in this discussion...so that it requires less money to maintain it.

Can we cut the bull?
I don't believe he or she said they were? He was merely replying to your post when you said something like "I've yet to see riff raff in 30 years" which could be read as you trying to imply that it doesn't often happen, or never happens, otherwise why would you say it? I think they were just showing that it does happen, frequently enough for there to be photographs online showing that.
Yeah...in my hundreds of days of parks...I’ve never seen anyone scale spaceship earth, the Mexico pavilion, Cinderella’s castle of the main lodge at grand Floridian...

So I don’t believe WDI has to design around that occurrence.

Those types of actual safety issues are not frequent or in that ballpark.

And again...simple staffing/management can take care of kids in fountains. If they are US women’s national team soccer players...then you’ve sold too much liquor and the Florida control board needs to take a look at the policies.

Just asking Disney To earn what they charge. Such is life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom