All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Rich T

Basically this is what Rocket Rods should have been. It's a similar ride mechanic to Test Track or Indy but on a hidden rollercoaster track and much lighter. The ride mechanic could add a robot arm to it instead of a car for something really crazy.
Or, even simpler, Rocket Rods could have been a simple, gentle launch coaster using magnets or booster wheels. But, nooooo....

Phroobar

At Universal Studios Hollywood I had the 2pm combo pass so I could do some of the rides before the mazes open at 6pm for me. This is an hour earlier than the general public. My sister has an annual pass so she let me use her pass to use the express pass entrances.

I rode Jurassic World in about five minutes with a posted hour long stand by wait. I think you get the wettest during the first scene. They literally have a waterfall hit the boat as you enter the aquarium. The scene were the dino hits the glass the water comes from the upper left corner not were the glass was breaking. The next three dinos were ok but it had a lot of dead time until you are inside the building. I miss all the little dinos and squirting ones. Once at the top, we seem to be back outside but dark. Blue was pretty cool but the second dino was missing. The t-rex was just flying in the air. Why is this ride already broken?

The Kung Fu Panda show was pretty good. It was very similar to Sherk 4D with the moving seats. I liked the wrap around screen. Harry Potter was still a lot of fun. I didn't care to go on much else. I bought a butter beer. We got talking to the guy selling butterbeer. He though the blue milk at Disneyland tastes like dishwashing detergent. I also hung around Krusty Burger and watched the Simpsons. That place is starting to look run down.

At 6pm we were on the lower lot walking through the Toxic Tunnel for Ghostbusters, Creepshow and Frankenstein vs Wolfman. To the left was Stranger Things which already had hour wait. Ghostbusters was exactly like the movie. The slimer puppet was cool as was the marshmallow man at the end. Creepshow wasn't as good as I hoped. It was lax on scenes and relied on dark jumpscares instead. Frankenstein vs the Wolfman was the best of the three down there. It had lots of great sets and some good scenes were the two monsters are on opposite sides of you. They get really close to you.

Killer Klowns was next. It was in the Mummy queue and had a fifty minute wait while were there there. It pretty much went all the way around the building. The maze was very fast and fun. The Klowns had water guns and I got sprayed in the face. It was a very good maze.

We went to the upper lot and did Holidays in Hell. This one turned out better than I thought. It had lots of good creepy scenes and up close monsters. It didn't have a lot of black jump scares so good job there. We avoided the Jabbawockeez show since we weren't into that kind of thing. I saw it last year and was pretty board. It is the only show in the park at night. Next we did Us and Pandora's box. Us was pretty incredible and possibly the best maze of the park. It was down in the tram loading area. It had lots of good mirror effects and the people were incredible looking. Good makeup. Pandora was a original maze with a lot of day glow skeletons and not much story. It was ok but not worth the hour wait. House of a thousand corpses was last that night. It rarely got over thirty minutes. It was a good retelling of the movie but not much else.

We didn't go back to Stranger Things but insteaded watched the youtube video. It was mostly the second season and didn't seem worth braving the two hour wait for it. Stranger Things and Us where the most popular mazes of the night. Us and Frankenstein meets the Wolfman were the best of the night. The crowd was mostly 20 to 30 year old couples. No families or teenagers for the most part. The smell of vape and pot was pretty heavy at times in line. Otherwise good show. I wish Universal's employees were more knowledgeable about their own event. The info person had no idea what time the mazes opened. Most of the employees seemed pretty grouchy and unenthusiastic and that was during the day time.

Disney Analyst

At Universal Studios Hollywood I had the 2pm combo pass so I could do some of the rides before the mazes open at 6pm for me. This is an hour earlier than the general public. My sister has an annual pass so she let me use her pass to use the express pass entrances.

I rode Jurassic World in about five minutes with a posted hour long stand by wait. I think you get the wettest during the first scene. They literally have a waterfall hit the boat as you enter the aquarium. The scene were the dino hits the glass the water comes from the upper left corner not were the glass was breaking. The next three dinos were ok but it had a lot of dead time until you are inside the building. I miss all the little dinos and squirting ones. Once at the top, we seem to be back outside but dark. Blue was pretty cool but the second dino was missing. The t-rex was just flying in the air. Why is this ride already broken?

The Kung Fu Panda show was pretty good. It was very similar to Sherk 4D with the moving seats. I liked the wrap around screen. Harry Potter was still a lot of fun. I didn't care to go on much else. I bought a butter beer. We got talking to the guy selling butterbeer. He though the blue milk at Disneyland tastes like dishwashing detergent. I also hung around Krusty Burger and watched the Simpsons. That place is starting to look run down.

At 6pm we were on the lower lot walking through the Toxic Tunnel for Ghostbusters, Creepshow and Frankenstein vs Wolfman. To the left was Stranger Things which already had hour wait. Ghostbusters was exactly like the movie. The slimer puppet was cool as was the marshmallow man at the end. Creepshow wasn't as good as I hoped. It was lax on scenes and relied on dark jumpscares instead. Frankenstein vs the Wolfman was the best of the three down there. It had lots of great sets and some good scenes were the two monsters are on opposite sides of you. They get really close to you.

Killer Klowns was next. It was in the Mummy queue and had a fifty minute wait while were there there. It pretty much went all the way around the building. The maze was very fast and fun. The Klowns had water guns and I got sprayed in the face. It was a very good maze.

We went to the upper lot and did Holidays in Hell. This one turned out better than I thought. It had lots of good creepy scenes and up close monsters. It didn't have a lot of black jump scares so good job there. We avoided the Jabbawockeez show since we weren't into that kind of thing. I saw it last year and was pretty board. It is the only show in the park at night. Next we did Us and Pandora's box. Us was pretty incredible and possibly the best maze of the park. It was down in the tram loading area. It had lots of good mirror effects and the people were incredible looking. Good makeup. Pandora was a original maze with a lot of day glow skeletons and not much story. It was ok but not worth the hour wait. House of a thousand corpses was last that night. It rarely got over thirty minutes. It was a good retelling of the movie but not much else.

We didn't go back to Stranger Things but insteaded watched the youtube video. It was mostly the second season and didn't seem worth braving the two hour wait for it. Stranger Things and Us where the most popular mazes of the night. Us and Frankenstein meets the Wolfman were the best of the night. The crowd was mostly 20 to 30 year old couples. No families or teenagers for the most part. The smell of vape and pot was pretty heavy at times in line. Otherwise good show. I wish Universal's employees were more knowledgeable about their own event. The info person had no idea what time the mazes opened. Most of the employees seemed pretty grouchy and unenthusiastic and that was during the day time.

Just a note. It’s somewhat known that the finale doesn’t have the official I-Rex installed yet. It’s believed the placeholder has just been removed so they can install the final AA and program the scene.

Phroobar

Just a note. It’s widely known that the finale doesn’t have the official I-Rex installed yet. It’s believed the placeholder has just been removed so they can install the final AA and program the scene.
So they took out the whole point of the ride because it's not officially installed yet? I guess the flying T-Rex is saving us from the invisible I-Rex since Blue didn't do anything?

truecoat

Just a note. It’s somewhat known that the finale doesn’t have the official I-Rex installed yet. It’s believed the placeholder has just been removed so they can install the final AA and program the scene.

So they opened the something without it being finished? Taking a page from Disneyland.

truecoat

Nintendoland is coming along in Japan.

Super Nintendo.jpg

Phroobar

Half my brain is squealing with joy at the sight of this. The other half is wondering if maybe taking such a literal approach to designing a Mario land has its drawbacks... Oh, what the heck-- SQUEEEEEEEEALLLLL!!!!!!!! :D Not a fan of the visible slots for the moving clouds, though.
To bad we are getting Secret Life of Pets instead of that. It's suppose to be the same ride vehicle just reskinned.

BubbaQuest

Half my brain is squealing with joy at the sight of this. The other half is wondering if maybe taking such a literal approach to designing a Mario land has its drawbacks... Oh, what the heck-- SQUEEEEEEEEALLLLL!!!!!!!! :D Not a fan of the visible slots for the moving clouds, though.

Ya, I kinda feel the same way. However, if you can find the photo before that one, they just craned the top of the building onto the other half. What we are seeing was prefabbed somewhere else. I'm assuming any fine detail was left off and there is still some fine detail work to do.

Phroobar

Hiding in shame.
When I rode it last week at HHN, it felt cheaper than the original. There were less dinos and more dead space. The jungle room was cool but it makes no sense without the I-Rex. Even when he is there, you really don't see him because he is mostly hidden and too high up. We also don't need a waterfall on us at the beginning of the ride. I hope the spitters are there at the end of the ride after you go down the drop. It is just missing stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom