New Rule: For orders placed after 10/1, guests must be present to meet mobility vendor deliverypersons

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Did we ever establish who the allowed stroller/ECV vendors are? It might be helpful for people on this thread to know which two they can use if they don’t want to meet their provider.

Bronson55

Arriving at your resort during normal business hours is not a reasonable option?
I arrive between 10am and noon is that reasonable enough for you? You just don't get it or selectively read what you want to argue. I guess in your view me waiting in whatever weather with or without a seat for perhaps quite a long time before I can even make it to the registration desk or my room is an abuse. You,re right, I'm wrong thanks for you input.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you rent from Disney's preferred vendor, a conveyance will be waiting for you.

If you want a cheaper option, but absolutely need the conveyance there, then rent at the higher price for just the first day, and meet the cheaper conveyance the next morning and use it for the rest of the trip.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I arrive between 10am and noon is that reasonable enough for you? You just don't get it or selectively read what you want to argue. I guess in your view me waiting in whatever weather with or without a seat for perhaps quite a long time before I can even make it to the registration desk or my room is an abuse. You,re right, I'm wrong thanks for you input.
Don't pop off at me -- Disney is setting the terms here. If you arrive during those hours, I don't see what your issue is... you'll need to get off the bus and wait somewhere no matter who you rent your scooter from.

Look, I'm sorry you're unable to walk more than a few feet at a time. But my two questions have been met with blatant hostility when all I was trying to do is ascertain what's reasonable. You say you need a mobility device, yet you don't travel with one. To my mind, that means (a) changing the mode of travel so you have one with you, (b) adapting your travel regimen so you can be as comfortable as possible, or (c) not traveling.

Since you've chosen to fly, looks to me like you'll have to adapt to the circumstances available to you at Disney resorts, or pick option (a) or (c).

Communicora

Premium Member
I wish there was an easy solution for guests who require mobility assistance devices. I would imagine more guests will want to travel with their own devices and Disney will need to figure out how to accommodate that on the DME.

LSLS

None of these justifications seem to make sense to me as if these were the case (i.e. DIsney doesn't want the responsibility of inspecting them, it's taking employees away from other jobs, etc.) they would not make the exception for a certain vendor. Seems the easy answer to me is they just worked out a better deal with one company and are going to try and force the hand of the others.

unmitigated disaster

None of these justifications seem to make sense to me as if these were the case (i.e. DIsney doesn't want the responsibility of inspecting them, it's taking employees away from other jobs, etc.) they would not make the exception for a certain vendor. Seems the easy answer to me is they just worked out a better deal with one company and are going to try and force the hand of the others.
I don't have a problem with that, either, as long as they're a good, reliable firm.

rowrbazzle

Don't pop off at me -- Disney is setting the terms here. If you arrive during those hours, I don't see what your issue is... you'll need to get off the bus and wait somewhere no matter who you rent your scooter from.

Look, I'm sorry you're unable to walk more than a few feet at a time. But my two questions have been met with blatant hostility when all I was trying to do is ascertain what's reasonable. You say you need a mobility device, yet you don't travel with one. To my mind, that means (a) changing the mode of travel so you have one with you, (b) adapting your travel regimen so you can be as comfortable as possible, or (c) not traveling.

Since you've chosen to fly, looks to me like you'll have to adapt to the circumstances available to you at Disney resorts, or pick option (a) or (c).

Indeed. I've not done it, but evidently airlines check wheelchairs (and ECVs) free of charge. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/special-needs/disabilities/customer-wheelchair.html If it's necessary to have a chair at all times and waiting for a delivery is a massive inconvenience, then one should bring one's own chair. I don't see Disney as being unreasonable here.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Indeed. I've not done it, but evidently airlines check wheelchairs (and ECVs) free of charge. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/special-needs/disabilities/customer-wheelchair.html If it's necessary to have a chair at all times and waiting for a delivery is a massive inconvenience, then one should bring one's own chair. I don't see Disney as being unreasonable here.
The risk of damaging your own property in transit is not always worth it and thus renting is easier. See previous post on Airline wheelchair assistance btw.

PrincessNelly_NJ

That is crazy. Surprised it's not some type of violation actually.
I talked to Guest services about it and they said they'd pass my concerns on to the appropriate person. She mentioned they may be planning to add them later but given the current design of the door way, they would need to remove the bottom plate & possibly change out the doors entirely. The plate is quite high so my fiance couldn't roll over it without help. Luckily other guest held the doors for us each time and I was able to push him through.

nickys

Premium Member
I wish there was an easy solution for guests who require mobility assistance devices. I would imagine more guests will want to travel with their own devices and Disney will need to figure out how to accommodate that on the DME.

You can take them on DME. When you book DME you can notify them you will be using an ECV.

I imagine that if you arrive at a busy time you may need to wait a bit longer for a bus if they fill up with their quota of ECVs.

Kingtut

What I don't understand is why Disney doesn't increase their own rental offerings to what people staying at the resorts actually need. If the onsite offering provided by Disney were "comparable ( even if slightly more expensive) then people would use them. Disney wants me to schedule my vacation 6 months out but won't guarantee that I can rent a ECV at the parks or have wheelchairs at the hotel lobbies to get to my room. So people have to use offsite companies to provide a necessary service which the mouse will not provide and then they make it more difficult to access these services. Before everyone jumps on me - I understand Disney is a business but not providing these services they are forcing people out of the "bubble" therefore spending money which the Mouse could have if they wanted it and making it more difficult for their "guests"

To me a more concerning issue is the return of the rentals. Coordinating returns is expected but stuff happens and Joe's scooters is late because of an accident on I4 and I have to leave because Southwest isn't going to hold that plane for me. What do you do waste a day because you returned something a day before you were really done with it? Watch your plane fly away? Decisions, decisions.....

Full disclosure here - we drive to Orlando now with both a wheelchair and an ECV in the back of the full size van required to carry them. This way we know we will have what we need when we get there.

carolina_yankee

rowrbazzle

The risk of damaging your own property in transit is not always worth it and thus renting is easier. See previous post on Airline wheelchair assistance btw.

Sure. And it's the same reason why we considered renting a stroller on our last trip. However, the convenience of having our own device outweighed the potential damage. If you decide the opposite, no biggie. As others have said, there is a vendor that Disney will allow to do drop-offs so that is still an option. I don't see an issue with what Disney did here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom