Disney names new parks leadership roles

doctornick

So, it's a different position, but it's kinda like Kalogridis is replacing Powell in terms of the hierarchy, right? Kinda like how Meg Crofton had a similar role a few years ago.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Great news. Josh brings more energy and enthusiasm. I guess that’s not saying too much
A sleeping bloodhound would bring more energy and enthusiasm to the post.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
"Powell’s sudden departure had many speculating that she was leaving the company after lackluster attendance at Disney’s new Star Wars-themed lands at Disneyland and Disney World. Chapek called the reports “erroneous.”

“I will tell you that Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge has exceeded every expectation we’ve had,” Chapek said. “There is no there there to this being anything but a runaway success.”

OK Bob, if you say so...
Sounds like Bob Cheapek is spinning faster than an EF-5 tornado.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
"Going forward, Disneyland Resort will be overseen by Rebecca Campbell, who most recently was president of Europe, Middle East and Africa for the company’s direct-to-consumer and international segment. She has more than 20 years of experience with the company."

Guessing she was hand-picked by Chapek for her merchandising background. Great...

And I'm not really buying that Powell wanted out. When someone in her position suddenly leaves, with all the bad publicity that SW:GE has gotten, and then both Bob's talk about how well SW:GE is doing and it's "exceeding every expectation we had"? Yeah, I'm calling B as in B, S as in S on that. It's not passing the smell test right now.
Smells like the area just outside Club Cool...

Animaniac93-98

To be fair, what else is he supposed to say? He's not going to say "yep, it's a failure and I got rid of my competition"

Not that, but not the opposite of "exceeding every expectation". Even something like "we see great potential in the next quarter/year as interest in Galaxies Edge continues to grow" would have been just as positive without sounding like a blatant lie.

Surfin' Tuna

George was out there to be fair, but Josh definitely seems to be more of a hands on guy.
I like George as a person. I don't know Josh at all, but I hear nothing but I hear great things. I have seen George quite a bit at restaurants on property, but I never saw him really just interacting with the guests or walking around the park. I think that's important to feel the energy of the parks, guage the crowds, and maybe see the trash. With Chapek rulings with his cheap, iron fist there is only so much local leadership can do, but they can advocate and push for what they want and need. This is not something George did enough of over the last few years as the parks were literally falling apart. Someone just out of DLR has to at least understand upkeep better than they do around here.

Magenta Panther

So Josh D'amaro used to run DAK - maybe he has some fondness for that park and it will get some attention in upcoming years. Pandora is great, but it could use some more additions.

DAK, IMO, doesn't need any more of off-studio dippy Pandora. It needs a Pride Lands. It needs the Jungle Book. It needs the fantasic-beast angle it was originally supposed to have. It needs dragons and unicorns and sea serpents, et al. THAT'S what it needs. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom