News Catherine Powell's position eliminated

Surfin' Tuna

Original Poster
I wonder if this is related to the dip in attendance numbers or unrelated. There have been rumors of changes happening, but I think many were hopeful it would be someone else...

Lilofan

I wonder if this is related to the dip in attendance numbers or unrelated. There have been rumors of changes happening, but I think many were hopeful it would be someone else...

One more level to be eliminated. Now the Pres of Disneyland and WDW now report directly to Chapek. Catherine Powell is not going to leave empty handed ( generous severance package). Can be a highly paid " consultant " like former exec Dan Cockerell who actually left on his own.

Last edited:

TP2000

What a hilariously blunt official statement on her sudden departure!

"The 15 year veteran is departing to do something different, Disney said Monday."

I guess the old standby "leaving to spend more time with family" has become a tad too cliche' for just meaning "fired".

"Departing to do something different." That about sums it up. :D

mickeyfan5534

Wow, shocked to see her out. I have heard nothing but good things about her from people on all tiers. I suspect there being more to this than her simply being “the fall guy.”
I can't think of another exec in the company who truly gets the parks like she did. I'm normally a head above the water guy most of the time (though I am not a fan of the void of charisma that is Bob Chapek in the least) but this was a decision that really sticks a middle finger to that entire segment of the company.

brb1006

I can't think of another exec in the company who truly gets the parks like she did. I'm normally a head above the water guy most of the time (though I am not a fan of the void of charisma that is Bob Chapek in the least) but this was a decision that really sticks a middle finger to that entire segment of the company.
I actually found footage of her giving a speech on Disneyland Paris's 25th Anniversary day. This video shows the entire Grand Celebration and is 50 minutes long.

She was also seen at the Disneyland Paris FanDaze event in this video.

TrojanUSC

The development that division Presidents didn't report directly to the Chairman (or head of the business unit pre-Chairman title) was relatively new. It was created when Al Weiss was promoted out of WDW and became President of WW Operations. Al then left suddenly under... unusual circumstances. Meg Crofton then took the job and I believe upon her departure it was split into the current "Eastern" and "Western" regions. This is just a return to what it was previously.

Lilofan

The development that division Presidents didn't report directly to the Chairman (or head of the business unit pre-Chairman title) was relatively new. It was created when Al Weiss was promoted out of WDW and became President of WW Operations. Al then left suddenly under... unusual circumstances. Meg Crofton then took the job and I believe upon her departure it was split into the current "Eastern" and "Western" regions. This is just a return to what it was previously.
Al Weiss, that's a known exec. Didn't he afterwards run that nail and beauty salon / Marliyn Monroe spa?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom