Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

lazyboy97o

Why is demoing and rebuilding cheaper than just reusing CC in this scenario?
My brain doesn't comprehend that part

I was under the impression they only demo'd half of CC because they didn't get the budget approved to demo the whole thing
It’s cheaper because they’re rebuilding less. Much of the space is being replaced with landscape. Operating costs of maintaining the structures is also removed from ongoing costs.

UNCgolf

Why is demoing and rebuilding cheaper than just reusing CC in this scenario?
My brain doesn't comprehend that part

I was under the impression they only demo'd half of CC because they didn't get the budget approved to demo the whole thing

It's actually often cheaper to demolish and rebuild than it is to renovate an existing building. It depends on how extensive the planned changes are.

Of course, in this case, they aren't even rebuilding a new structure (at least not of the same size), so I'm sure it was much cheaper.

Sir_Cliff

Yes but lack of ideas wasn’t what held this space back for nearly 25 years... just because there was alternatives I don’t think that dooms all other paths.

And frankly the sketch isn’t that appealing to me either. Feels like much of the same. I for one am bored out of skull with the attempts and ideas floated trying to fit within those walls for the last 30 yrs.
I kind of feel the same way. Those buildings were beginning to feel like a straitjacket, and any smart project leader would have told the design team not to feel constrained to work with the existing spaces. As others have finally also mentioned, keeping the buildings was likely more expensive than demolishing them and building something new. So even on that level it didn't make sense.

On the other hand, I also tend to agree with everyone that another bar and a festival center doesn't inspire. Aesthetically, I do like the look of the festival center, though, and, while I'm indifferent about the Moana water experience, I also suspect that will also at least look nice. That's the other thing for me in all this: I don't think the Communicore buildings are all that attractive or interesting architecturally. I understand people have warm nostalgic feelings attached to them, but it seems that it's that (perfectly valid) nostalgia that is driving the argument for why the buildings should have been preserved more than the buildings' intrinsic qualities.

So, while all of this is far from inspiring, it does seem like a better outcome than just continuing to shuffle things around inside these convention center-style buildings for all eternity.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

It's actually often cheaper to demolish and rebuild than it is to renovate an existing building. It depends on how extensive the planned changes are.

Of course, in this case, they aren't even rebuilding a new structure (at least not of the same size), so I'm sure it was much cheaper.
Which is why I'm so confused why they didn't go with the cheapest plan of all then?

Demo both sides of CC.

It's cheaper AND would look more cohesive

lazyboy97o

Which is why I'm so confused why they didn't go with the cheapest plan of all then?

Demo both sides of CC.

It's cheaper AND would look more cohesive
There are no hard and fast rules of whether or not it is cheaper to reuse or build new. The East building already has the infrastructure for dining and shopping and keeping them as is doesn’t trigger the same sort of code updates as would changing the use of the space.

Timothy_Q

There are no hard and fast rules of whether or not it is cheaper to reuse or build new. The East building already has the infrastructure for dining and shopping and keeping them as is doesn’t trigger the same sort of code updates as would changing the use of the space.
Martin already said demoing both sides was the cheapest option

DanielBB8

They should have reused the buildings for attractions instead of food and fair space. Start with the real problem, which was always lack of attractions. Then work down to landscaping, gardens and fountains. Instead, they limited the space to be food, alcohol, gardens, and fountains. I would rather be inside due to the horrid Orlando humidity. I also dislike the long walks to attractions. Disney wanted Epcot to look pretty, but they limited the park use and didn’t address its actual problems.

DisneyDreamerxyz

They should have reused the buildings for attractions instead of food and fair space. Start with the real problem, which was always lack of attractions. Then work down to landscaping, gardens and fountains. Instead, they limited the space to be food, alcohol, gardens, and fountains. I would rather be inside due to the horrid Orlando humidity. I also dislike the long walks to attractions. Disney wanted Epcot to look pretty, but they limited the park use and didn’t address its actual problems.
but they are not trying to rework Future World, they are getting rid of Future World. This area will become "World Celebration" uniting it more with World Showcase.

DanielBB8

but they are not trying to rework Future World, they are getting rid of Future World. This area will become "World Celebration" uniting it more with World Showcase.
I don’t want them to continue to support Future World either. I want Epcot to evolve into a traditional theme park. Changing it into World Celebration makes sense, but do it with attractions instead of food, drink, and festivals.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

I don’t want them to continue to support Future World either. I want Epcot to evolve into a traditional theme park. Changing it into World Celebration makes sense, but do it with attractions instead of food, drink, and festivals.
It can’t be just rides too. You need variety. This isn’t Six Flags. Plus a lot of the guest might like the different festivals and want less rides. What you like could be totally opposite of what is important to them. I like a nice variety. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom