MFSR 40 minutes; Slinky Dog 50

FettFan

Falcons and Star Wars Lands on both coasts as a whole are not performing anywhere near the galactic expectations and I'm not sure why.

I have an idea.

It rhymes with “Buy Long Johns, Son”

Fact of the matter is, this land wasn’t built for old school Star Wars fans; it was made to advertise Disney’s version of Star Wars, and there’s been a growing rift between Disney/Lucasfilm and original fans ever since they canned the original Expanded Universe.

758617.jpg

NickMaio

On any given day I might drop into a park and sit back and absorb the atmosphere. On Tues afternoon I spontaneously decided to go over to Studios to drink some coffee, walk around and chat with some CM's.

Something is not right.

Considering the project scope, hype, and budget I'm getting the impression Star Wars Land is not getting the type love Disney expected.

It happened in Anaheim and now it's happening in WDW.

How in the world is Slinky more coveted than Falcon? 40 minute wait for a new E-ish ride in a billion dollar land??? Even after factoring in FP or lackthereof it just confounds.
There is a serious disturbance in the force.

Janir

Same experience on Monday for us. SR said wait time was 45 minutes-it was easily not more than 30 minutes.

SDD had a posted 50 minute wait and it was every bit of it.

But, the SR line never stopped moving.
SDD, on the other hand, was a constants stop and go.

Seems like SR had more throughput than SDD. Perhaps it was because there was not a FP line slowing the standby line down.

BTW, SR left me feeling, "Was that it?"
SDD doesn't have a great rider throughput, and that's been discussed on these forums before. And only 18 ppl per train (4 trains total) not a great attraction guest throughput.
And the fact of SR not having any FP system at all means 100% rider capacity is dedicated to standby as you noted.

Glasgow

My two cents: Having waited in an only-25-minute-line for Millennium Falcon at DL a couple of weeks ago, I can testify that the attraction moves people through surprisingly quickly (the line was almost to the entrance, but it moved constantly, and the queue was so well-done and full of details that it was a pleasure to move through), which reflects both a respectable capacity, AND the lack of Fastpass. At Slinky, the wait is going to be longer because its capacity is tiny, and the vast majority of people riding it have FP, so those in standby can't avoid a long wait even when the standby line is short. It's not that Slinky is any better or more popular. In fact, having experienced MFSR without Fastpass bogging down the line, my personal wish is that it never starts distributing Fastpasses.

While I think Disney shot itself in the foot by opening Galaxy's Edge without its main attraction, and by cutting out a table-service restaurant and other elements that would have made it more of a draw to guests of all ages, I don't necessarily think the lack of crowds is reflective of a lack of interest or an indication that MFSR isn't a good attraction. I suspect that many guests are simply waiting to visit until the land is "complete," and don't like the idea of walking all the way out to a far-flung section of the park when the only thing you can do there (without spending additional money) is just one attraction.
Whoa whoa whoa - don't cloud this conversation with facts. Its much easier to just be angry and speculate. Shame on you.

twilight mitsuk

I have an idea.

It rhymes with “Buy Long Johns, Son”

Fact of the matter is, this land wasn’t built for old school Star Wars fans; it was made to advertise Disney’s version of Star Wars, and there’s been a growing rift between Disney/Lucasfilm and original fans ever since they canned the original Expanded Universe.

758617.jpg

Unlike wwohp

HongKongFu

Original Poster
SDD doesn't have a great rider throughput, and that's been discussed on these forums before. And only 18 ppl per train (4 trains total) not a great attraction guest throughput.
And the fact of SR not having any FP system at all means 100% rider capacity is dedicated to standby as you noted.

I'm not buying it even though what you wrote above appears accurate.

Considering a billion dollar setup for the land and the one and only E- ish caliber ride in this billion dollar Batuu turnout has been extremely underwhelming.

Again, Space mnt, IJ, Splash Mnt **without FP** hosted multi hour waits well after opening, too.

( Perhaps Star Tours should be on that list also but I can't confirm it)

ppet

I am hoping that MFSR is the Navi, while RotR becomes the next FoP. I guess we'll know in a few months.

Jon81uk

Again, Space mnt, IJ, Splash Mnt **without FP** hosted multi hour waits well after opening, too.

Magic Kingdom as an entity does not conform to the same rules as any other theme park on the planet. MK and Disneyland are the most attended theme parks in the world, not matter what is on offer there, the crowds will come. Its very hard to compare what happens in the castle parks to the other parks.

Mickeyboof

My two cents: Having waited in an only-25-minute-line for Millennium Falcon at DL a couple of weeks ago, I can testify that the attraction moves people through surprisingly quickly (the line was almost to the entrance, but it moved constantly, and the queue was so well-done and full of details that it was a pleasure to move through), which reflects both a respectable capacity, AND the lack of Fastpass. At Slinky, the wait is going to be longer because its capacity is tiny, and the vast majority of people riding it have FP, so those in standby can't avoid a long wait even when the standby line is short. It's not that Slinky is any better or more popular. In fact, having experienced MFSR without Fastpass bogging down the line, my personal wish is that it never starts distributing Fastpasses.

While I think Disney shot itself in the foot by opening Galaxy's Edge without its main attraction, and by cutting out a table-service restaurant and other elements that would have made it more of a draw to guests of all ages, I don't necessarily think the lack of crowds is reflective of a lack of interest or an indication that MFSR isn't a good attraction. I suspect that many guests are simply waiting to visit until the land is "complete," and don't like the idea of walking all the way out to a far-flung section of the park when the only thing you can do there (without spending additional money) is just one attraction.

So full of details?

Yawn. I found the queue to be shockingly pathetic. Dumb actor voices yelling at each other, an engine that would sometimes make noise, and a bunch of switches that did NOTHING. How can a queue that should set us up for this interactive ride have dead features in the queue.

The queue for Alien Swirling Saucers is more entertaining and interactive.

A good queue would have set us up for a flight, not taken us through a maintenance shed that has been frozen in time.

Thank god the Flight of Passage queue isn’t completely static (and thank god there aren’t annoying voices coming from a radio the whole time).

I believe it’s the LACK of “details” that aren’t bringing anyone to this land PLUS disney’s own marketing confusions.

Weather_Lady

So full of details?

Yawn. I found the queue to be shockingly pathetic.

Sorry you found it boring and were annoyed by the audio components. Maybe I enjoyed it more because I'd read up on the Easter Eggs ahead of time, and for me personally, the audio was more immersive than intrusive. I also wasn't disappointed that it wasn't interactive, particularly since the line was constantly moving, so interactive elements would have created annoying bottlenecks when people stopped to play with things.

Wendy Pleakley

Honestly, how many fans really care that that a bunch of novels are no longer canon? And really, with any major franchise like Star Wars or Star Trek that have a book division, the main films & shows are never beholden to what happens elsewhere. The books are canon until they're not.

cslafferty

Considering the fact they opened SWGE just as kids were headed back to school, I’m not surprised it’s not that crowded. If I was a parent of school-aged kids, I would plan to go down during winter break or spring break so we could enjoy SR and RotR. My husband and I are going Dec8-14 which was planned over a year ago to AVOID big crowds. Now that RotR is opening on Dec 5, I’m hoping it won’t be too crowded, but I expect the last two weeks in Dec will be extra crowded.

drizgirl

Considering the fact they opened SWGE just as kids were headed back to school, I’m not surprised it’s not that crowded. If I was a parent of school-aged kids, I would plan to go down during winter break or spring break so we could enjoy SR and RotR. My husband and I are going Dec8-14 which was planned over a year ago to AVOID big crowds. Now that RotR is opening on Dec 5, I’m hoping it won’t be too crowded, but I expect the last two weeks in Dec will be extra crowded.
Many people do not hesitate to take kids out of school for trips to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom