News Mizner's Lounge to be expanded at Disney's Grand Floridan Resort into a Beauty and the Beast inspired lounge

lazyboy97o

Where is the outdoor patio going to be?
The existing patio that was opposite the gift shop.

You consider this lounge revamp to be cartoon theming and an IP overlay? What concept art that you have seen points to that?
How is it not a franchise overlay? Even if the design elements are “subtle” they are pointless contradictions to the larger environment [for now].

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Sooo stupid question. But how does the whole Enchanted Rose Beauty and The Beast immersion stuff work with the Grand Floridian Orchestra Society dishing out Dixie Land, Ragtime, and Jazz melodies right next door?

They aren’t going to repeat “Be Our Guest” every 5 minutes?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The existing patio that was opposite the gift shop.

How is it not a franchise overlay? Even if the design elements are “subtle” they are pointless contradictions to the larger environment [for now].

Not going to consider a bit of inspiration a franchise overlay. It’s just not there based on the concept art.

And I have already said the revamp doesn’t seem to go with the GF environment...which is my problem with it.

SeaCastle

Sooo stupid question. But how does the whole Enchanted Rose Beauty and The Beast immersion stuff work with the Grand Floridian Orchestra Society dishing out Dixie Land, Ragtime, and Jazz melodies right next door?

Not a stupid question! They're thematically dissimilar. At the risk of sounding pedantic, the Grand Floridian has Victorian style-architecture common in UK and former British colonial holdings, and BatB is supposed to take place in France. The idea here with the IP is clearly "this stuff looks fancy and expensive, let's stick it in Grand Floridian because guests aren't going to know the difference"! And again, this is at a supposed flagship hotel where people can shell out close to a grand a night.

If you think that attention to detail doesn't matter, remember that this is the same company that spent a small fortune amassing yeti memorabilia for Expedition Everest, designed Harambe in DAK, and went out of their way to install a fake spring and backstory for downtown disney. They can do better. Shoehorning IP like this and charging the prices they do is a great way to demonstrate just how little respect they have for their customers these days.

rowrbazzle

There is a giant chandelier based on Belle’s dress right there in the middle of the space. It’s the focal design element.

I'd never get that connection unless I was told; it just looks like a cool chandelier to me. Either way, I think that still fits Andrew C's description of inspiration rather than a franchise overlay. If they'd shaped it vaguely like waves I wouldn't think it was The Little Mermaid. 🤷‍♂️

rkleinlein

I'd never get that connection unless I was told; it just looks like a cool chandelier to me. Either way, I think that still fits Andrew C's description of inspiration rather than a franchise overlay. If they'd shaped it vaguely like waves I wouldn't think it was The Little Mermaid. 🤷‍♂️
This is a very good point. Whether or not you think a Beauty and the Beast "inspired" bar in a high-end hotel with a turn-of-the-century Floridian theme is appropriate (I certainly don't), it seems tentatively executed and unclear. Why bother?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This is a very good point. Whether or not you think a Beauty and the Beast "inspired" bar in a high-end hotel with a turn-of-the-century Floridian theme is appropriate (I certainly don't), it seems tentatively executed and unclear. Why bother?
Nobody complained about a restaurant called Remy on a cruise ship...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I thought it was obvious and low brow but there's no cohesive theme to the venues on the ship. This is tonally out of place. Even the concept art looks nothing like the rest of the GF. It's like if they put a Marry Poppins "inspired" bar at DAK Lodge. It just... doesn't fit.
And I thought it was obvious that Disney's new philosophy is "All IP, All The Time."

Bocabear

And I thought it was obvious that Disney's new philosophy is "All IP, All The Time."
But this is not even IP... If you want to do Beauty and the Beast Bar, put it at the Riviera...which has a vaguely international feel... But not a turn of the century California Seaside Hotel...
The "Inspiration" is like saying the Top Of The World Chandelier is inspired by Cinderella's dress... There is nothing remotely similar between Belle's dress and that modern gold crystal and metal chandelier...

Epcot82Guy

That's the point I'm seeing here. If they want to say everything needs to be inspired by, that's fine. And, arguably, a really cool approach. Gran Destino shows how that can work. But, the point is - it totally stands on its own where it is without any knowledge of the IP. If this new venue used things like the chandelier inspired by her dress. Wall sconces inspired by Lumiere. A library as a lounge room that was inspired by Beast's library. But, in each case, where you wouldn't say "BATB" by just seeing it - that would be HIGHLY successful. But, it should also fit its surroundings. And, be named accordingly.

I was holding out hope on this until the name. "Enchanted Rose" tells me this is definitely an IP lift pure and simple. Not meant to have subtle references. But be a BATB bar plopped into the GF. We'll see how blatant it is in the end. But, I don't think "fit" is going to be present there.

dothebrdwalk

That's the point I'm seeing here. If they want to say everything needs to be inspired by, that's fine. And, arguably, a really cool approach. Gran Destino shows how that can work. But, the point is - it totally stands on its own where it is without any knowledge of the IP. If this new venue used things like the chandelier inspired by her dress. Wall sconces inspired by Lumiere. A library as a lounge room that was inspired by Beast's library. But, in each case, where you wouldn't say "BATB" by just seeing it - that would be HIGHLY successful. But, it should also fit its surroundings. And, be named accordingly.

I was holding out hope on this until the name. "Enchanted Rose" tells me this is definitely an IP lift pure and simple. Not meant to have subtle references. But be a BATB bar plopped into the GF. We'll see how blatant it is in the end. But, I don't think "fit" is going to be present there.
My issue isn't an IP bar in the Grand Floridian, my issue is this would have been perfect for the new Riviera where BatB fits the vibe and theme and is present in the in room art, they could have done a bar here based on the movies they associate with the GF, Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, etc. and it would have fit a bit better in my opinion.

**I will say isn't there a marble Mrs. Potts on the 2nd floor of the GF lobby though?

Epcot82Guy

My issue isn't an IP bar in the Grand Floridian, my issue is this would have been perfect for the new Riviera where BatB fits the vibe and theme and is present in the in room art, they could have done a bar here based on the movies they associate with the GF, Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, etc. and it would have fit a bit better in my opinion.

**I will say isn't there a marble Mrs. Potts on the 2nd floor of the GF lobby though?

I can agree with that as well. Just like Guardians if it had been in Studios or even Tomorrowland. I think the idea they have here is great. It just feels like it was dropped into the wrong spot.

For example, do an updated Mizner's and add the Doorknob Lounge. Much like Trader Sams, have it be an Alice-themed room with Drink Me potions as the drinks. Of course, you access it through a special door with secret door that looks like that in the film. Thisway, you are at least intentionally being transported to another world from within the GF-themed Mizners.

I say that just as one example of how storytelling can fix a multitude of current IP sins. Not sayiny my solution is great. It's that the lack of any desire to have the stories be cohesive is very frustrating.

Kman101

It's a Disney Hotel silly ;) That's all that matters

The Uncle Bobs swear guests want "More Disney"

Voila.

Beauty and the Beast inspired bar

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom