New enhancements coming to WDW's Haunted Mansion for the 50th anniversary?

180º

Thought so... for a disorienting effect? I guess it works. I find it more annoying than scary.
I think WDW’s Mansion from the beginning was meant to have a more aggressive Corridor of Doors as it comes a little later in the ride than at Disneyland. That’s how Florida got its louder sounds, prying hands, and red covers over the lights. Over the years all of those things were reduced or removed, making it resemble Disneyland’s scene. Glad to hear about the sound effects. I say bring back the hands and red color scheme next! :)

Speedy71

I think WDW’s Mansion from the beginning was meant to have a more aggressive Corridor of Doors as it comes a little later in the ride than at Disneyland. That’s how Florida got its louder sounds, prying hands, and red covers over the lights. Over the years all of those things were reduced or removed, making it resemble Disneyland’s scene. Glad to hear about the sound effects. I say bring back the hands and red color scheme next! :)

0d78dfc16b20a64210413a92c8a32247--haunted-mansion-disney-death-certificate.jpg

tmk_93.JPG

Honestly don't know why they would get rid of it. Tokyo has something similar at 2:53.

Dragonman

So I’ve been doing some more research about the web man and I came across this on another forum:

So unless he’s in storage somewhere now I don’t know if he’ll ever return.

MattFrees71

I don't know if Louder is technically better. I always thought it was audio overload to begin with... But maybe that was the idea. Good to hear though!
It's still definitely not as loud as pre-2006 refurb. But I'm glad they intensified it a little bit at least to add more of a creep factor (without being too much).

MattFrees71

I think I'd actually like it better if it were mostly quiet so I can better hear the ticking/chiming of the clock or the "breathing" door. Being loud doesn't equate to disorienting or creepy for me unless it's a singular jump scare sound effect. It's one of the only areas in the mansion where what they're going for doesn't work, IMO. Wasn't this one of the areas in the Mansion where WED had competing ideas?
I maybe should have used the word "intensity" instead of "loud." There needs to be an adequate level of intensity with the sound effects to add a creep factor- which in this case is to let the rider know there are powerful beings trapped behind the doors trying to break out. If the sound effects are quiet, the whole connotation and desired effect is not made very clear. Before this recent update, IMO, the sound effects in the Corridor of Doors was quiet enough that it was kind of anti-climatic and even a little boring.

Although as you mention, maybe you have a different idea/expectation of what connotation/desired effect is supposed to be in that section of the ride.

As far as competing ideas in the HM, I know that Claude Coates wanted it to be genuinely scary and Marc Davis more funny and lighthearted. What I heard is that Coate's influence was more in the first half of the ride (especially the Corridor of Doors)- so it makes sense it would have more of a scare/creep factor here.

Janir

It didn’t even last a year without the canopy. Turns out it’s hot and rainy in Florida, who knew?

But you can tell the house was designed without it. The forced perspective works so much better.

And unfortunately they got rid of those lampposts along the outer wall of the queue when the awning was widened in 2007.
Wish they would have considered needing a canopy for the queue line when building. All that would have been needed was to have the queue area a bit lower to accommodate the awnings and the sight-lines would have been great. I really like those awning-less view.

Janir

Apparently the spirit portraits in Momento Mori are no longer available. Real shame, one of the coolest souvenirs available in the parks.
the spirits in a jar is nor available. Got two of them but sadly the audio chip is the same between all the jars, even though there are plenty of different jar styles to choose from.

Janir

It seems that they've recently enhanced some of the audio in the Corridor of Doors. Louder, more realistic knocking sounds, screams/shrieks a little more prevalent, and the last door which used to have the skeleton hands prying it open has the growling goul sound effect behind it again. I'm very pleased with these changes!
Now that you mention it I remember thinking the same thing last month when going through the Corridor of Doors. Made it stand out more and I have to say I liked it as well.

amazza

I have a love/hate relationship with the HM. I feel compelled to ride every time I am at the park, yet still see so much potential. I agree that the hallway of doors and the sounds seem to have been modified and improve the experience. I feel like the lighting in this area was also adjusted as I have become more apparent of all of the ghost pictures here. It makes me laugh to think that these are the random/odd relatives of some of the ghosts and they are just natural snapshots, although they all look ghastly and startled.

The piano scene and silhouette could be so much better. I honestly believe that most people do not even look down to see the moving shape on the floor, and the movements are choppy and making a clicking noise. It would be cool if as you approach the scene, you are looking through one doorway and see the shape actually sitting at the piano playing, then as you pass another doorway opening, there is nobody there but you can see the keys moving. Kind of like the butterfly effect in JIYI. The armored suit does not move at all anymore and should as it could be much more scary. I do not find the long hallway with the floating candelabra interesting, maybe the candelabra could move slowly then quickly approach you. I'm glad they removed the fluorescent footprints from the staircase room.

My favorite space is the seance room, but I would love it if the instruments could move from the walls and swirl around each Doombuggie. Maybe add more unique items to the room, or random spirits, that Madame Leota has summoned. I don't like the raven sitting on the back of the chair as it does not look realistic at all. I always think the red eyes are cameras or lasers. The last few times I have rode, the birthday cake girl has been missing, although some of the other ghosts in the dining room are now much brighter. I think it would be awesome if your Doombuggie could move around the dining room floor in between the dancing couples or up to the table for a close up look of the guests.

The attic is missing the Hatbox Ghost and Constance is just weird. She would be better as an animatronic, like Elsa, with moving arms and a projected face, and she should be out more where you can see her and she reaches out to your Doombuggie with her axe. The singing busts are great. All of the ghosts in the graveyard are barely visible. I'm not sure if there is a dirty scrim in front of them or if the lighting is poor but they are pretty difficult to decipher what they are doing. I think the popup ghoul heads are a cheap carnival trick.

After you leave the graveyard, what is the idea? Are you supposed to be passing back through the house to exit, or are you inside of a mausoleum? There should be an end to the story as if you made it through and are now leaving the mansion, you decided not to become ghost 1000. Little Leota should fly above you, inviting you to hurry back.

I know I have a lot of complaints but I still love the ride. I appreciate all of the original vision and imagination in creating this attraction but it has been 50 years and could be so much better.

Dragonman

Somebody needs to do their research...

Even 50 years of technical advances cannot make most of those happen. The piano shadow is a mechanical puppet in front of spotlight hence why it moves like that. The doors are no where near there and won’t ever be. The floating candelabra involves a scrim and mirrors so there’s no room to move it closer and that would ruin the illusion as would moving around Little Leota. The instruments would be a safety hazard. You obviously don’t understand the ballroom and how it’s built and works if you think the doom buggies can even go down there. The ravens and pop ups are never going anywhere. The mansion’s remaining day one effects are fine the way they are currently and should stay that way. 🙄🙄🙄

Only changes I would make are revert the attic back to its scary mode with the pop ups, bats, and a new fully animatronic bride that’s not chatty Connie, restore the original graveyard vocals and pop up screams, add the lighted moving eyes back to the sinister 11, red lighting in the hallway, and hands to the doorway, and ditch the cgi hitchhikers.

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

I have a love/hate relationship with the HM. I feel compelled to ride every time I am at the park, yet still see so much potential. I agree that the hallway of doors and the sounds seem to have been modified and improve the experience. I feel like the lighting in this area was also adjusted as I have become more apparent of all of the ghost pictures here. It makes me laugh to think that these are the random/odd relatives of some of the ghosts and they are just natural snapshots, although they all look ghastly and startled.

The piano scene and silhouette could be so much better. I honestly believe that most people do not even look down to see the moving shape on the floor, and the movements are choppy and making a clicking noise. It would be cool if as you approach the scene, you are looking through one doorway and see the shape actually sitting at the piano playing, then as you pass another doorway opening, there is nobody there but you can see the keys moving. Kind of like the butterfly effect in JIYI. The armored suit does not move at all anymore and should as it could be much more scary. I do not find the long hallway with the floating candelabra interesting, maybe the candelabra could move slowly then quickly approach you. I'm glad they removed the fluorescent footprints from the staircase room.

My favorite space is the seance room, but I would love it if the instruments could move from the walls and swirl around each Doombuggie. Maybe add more unique items to the room, or random spirits, that Madame Leota has summoned. I don't like the raven sitting on the back of the chair as it does not look realistic at all. I always think the red eyes are cameras or lasers. The last few times I have rode, the birthday cake girl has been missing, although some of the other ghosts in the dining room are now much brighter. I think it would be awesome if your Doombuggie could move around the dining room floor in between the dancing couples or up to the table for a close up look of the guests.

The attic is missing the Hatbox Ghost and Constance is just weird. She would be better as an animatronic, like Elsa, with moving arms and a projected face, and she should be out more where you can see her and she reaches out to your Doombuggie with her axe. The singing busts are great. All of the ghosts in the graveyard are barely visible. I'm not sure if there is a dirty scrim in front of them or if the lighting is poor but they are pretty difficult to decipher what they are doing. I think the popup ghoul heads are a cheap carnival trick.

After you leave the graveyard, what is the idea? Are you supposed to be passing back through the house to exit, or are you inside of a mausoleum? There should be an end to the story as if you made it through and are now leaving the mansion, you decided not to become ghost 1000. Little Leota should fly above you, inviting you to hurry back.

I know I have a lot of complaints but I still love the ride. I appreciate all of the original vision and imagination in creating this attraction but it has been 50 years and could be so much better.
Welcome to the Boards, amazza! I believe the Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion to currently be a better experience than the one at Disneyland.

amazza

Even 50 years of technical advances cannot make most of those happen. The piano shadow is a mechanical puppet in front of spotlight hence why it moves like that. The doors are no where near there and won’t ever be. The floating candelabra involves a scrim and mirrors so there’s no room to move it closer and that would ruin the illusion as would moving around Little Leota. The instruments would be a safety hazard. You obviously don’t understand the ballroom and how it’s built and works if you think the doom buggies can even go down there. The ravens and pop ups are never going anywhere. The mansion’s remaining day one effects are fine the way they are currently and should stay that way. 🙄🙄🙄

Only changes I would make are revert the attic back to its scary mode with the pop ups, bats, and a new fully animatronic bride that’s not chatty Connie, restore the original graveyard vocals and pop up screams, add the lighted moving eyes back to the sinister 11, red lighting in the hallway, and hands to the doorway, and ditch the cgi hitchhikers.

I have been following the forums for years and always hesitate to post anything as I see how everyone jumps on someone else's comments. With all due respect, I don't need to do any additional research. I know exactly how the Pepper's Ghost effect works. Some of the other effects I suggested do already exist in other parks. What about Mystic Manor? It seems that you prefer the original concept which is fine, however, I don't think my comments deserved to be shot down so easily.

I'm not interested in entertaining a debate. Thanks for the welcome!

Bocabear

The Haunted Mansion in California has or had a shadow figure playing the broken piano, but it was actually a film loop, so the movement was not the jerky puppet and it did look much better...I am always curious why they did not change that out when we got the Escher staircase...
I always think about that scene in Crimson Peak with the ghost of Lucille playing the piano in the moonlight... If only they could do something like that!

Dragonman

Yes that would look neat. The shadow player in California was added in 1995 when the attic became more wedding themed (“I Do !” pop ups dressed as groomsmen, Bridal March playing, wedding decorations, etc)

Touchdown

They can’t port the CA piano player for two reasons:
-Hes playing “here comes the bride” not grim grinning ghosts
-He’s seen in side profile not head on

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom