DVC members. 2nd class citizens???

Bpmorley

So I read an interesting post on another thread and the poster said that they always felt like DVC members were treated like 2nd class citizens.

My question is: what did you expect upon purchasing your dvc and do you feel that we are treated "less than"?

Maybe it's because I had experience with timeshares prior to purchasing my membership (a family member has a marriott membership) I did not have an expectation of "extras". I knew that basically what we were buying is our future accommodations at today's lower rate. that's it.
Absolutely 100% feel that way anymore. Just this past week we had to jump thru hoops spend almost 20 hours on the phone because we booked a cruise thru DVC. Cash customers, no question asked refunds extra discounts. Not us.
had a room without electric once. Asked to change rooms, told no more studios available and 1 bdrs are more points. 2 days later meet a couple that paid $59/ night to stay in all star, had room issue, upgraded to 2 bdr in SSR, money refunded and meal voucher.
And you wonder why I feel like a second class citizen? There were at least 5 other members around the quiet pool at BW last weekend and we all agreed.

Phonedave

Absolutely 100% feel that way anymore. Just this past week we had to jump thru hoops spend almost 20 hours on the phone because we booked a cruise thru DVC. Cash customers, no question asked refunds extra discounts. Not us.
had a room without electric once. Asked to change rooms, told no more studios available and 1 bdrs are more points. 2 days later meet a couple that paid $59/ night to stay in all star, had room issue, upgraded to 2 bdr in SSR, money refunded and meal voucher.
And you wonder why I feel like a second class citizen? There were at least 5 other members around the quiet pool at BW last weekend and we all agreed.

Not to make excuses, but you should have known about the cruise when you booked it with points. Refunding points is not as easy as cash. The points are traded into a timeshare system, and the may have already been used. It clearly says so right in the documentation concerning booking a cruise on points. Not that it makes you feel any better, but there is a legitimate reason for it.

As for the rooms, you should have been moved. Not sure what happened there, I would have talked with member services.

Bpmorley

Not to make excuses, but you should have known about the cruise when you booked it with points. Refunding points is not as easy as cash. The points are traded into a timeshare system, and the may have already been used. It clearly says so right in the documentation concerning booking a cruise on points. Not that it makes you feel any better, but there is a legitimate reason for it.

As for the rooms, you should have been moved. Not sure what happened there, I would have talked with member services.
I think I may have missed a few points. They originally didn't want to give us any points back and cut the cruise to 2 days. But still no on board credit, that was for cash only. Only after the cruise was cancelled completely did they say they would give us all our points back, but only as reservation points to be used for a cruise or Disney collection, not DVC. They offered the cash customers 20% off their next booking, not us. They also said, at first, that we had to sail by October 2nd. Every DVC rep we talked to gave us a different answer. So as of yesterday we have until Dec 2020 to sail again, but must book before the end of this month. I don't know about anybody else, but I don't get to pick all my vacations, I get assigned ones. So we may wind up losing 234 points due to Dorian. I will never do that again. Actually this may just be the push I needed to dump all my points and never go back.

And I did talk to member services, and they told me exactly what the front desk did. That there were no studios available at any DVC resort and 1 bdrs would require more points. Absolute disgrace. Even better, at 3am they finally sent someone to our room to fix the issue. The circuit box was in the 1 bdr lockoff part of our studio. They had to wake the people up to get in the room and the breakers were all switched off for our studio. They gave those people free meals because they were staying on cash. I saw the guy at the pool yesterday and I went up to apologize about it, but to be honest, disney had 14 hours to send someone to fix it. I reported it at noon, so obviously nobody every even looked. I told the guy what happened and he said not to worry that they picked up all his food for his stay. I'm glad it worked out for 1 of us.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Original Poster

Wow, I've never had that experience. let me add though I don't use my points anywhere but at the resorts because any other trade is so much more expensive.
let me ask though, did you know about the refund policy with dvc? I do know that many prospective buyers don't research how the points work and assume that just like cash they are refunded the same way. that is not the case.

Sorry you had that experience. I hate dealing with most customer service places nowadays so I can understand the frustration.

correcaminos

I think I may have missed a few points. They originally didn't want to give us any points back and cut the cruise to 2 days. But still no on board credit, that was for cash only. Only after the cruise was cancelled completely did they say they would give us all our points back, but only as reservation points to be used for a cruise or Disney collection, not DVC. They offered the cash customers 20% off their next booking, not us. They also said, at first, that we had to sail by October 2nd. Every DVC rep we talked to gave us a different answer. So as of yesterday we have until Dec 2020 to sail again, but must book before the end of this month. I don't know about anybody else, but I don't get to pick all my vacations, I get assigned ones. So we may wind up losing 234 points due to Dorian. I will never do that again. Actually this may just be the push I needed to dump all my points and never go back.

And I did talk to member services, and they told me exactly what the front desk did. That there were no studios available at any DVC resort and 1 bdrs would require more points. Absolute disgrace. Even better, at 3am they finally sent someone to our room to fix the issue. The circuit box was in the 1 bdr lockoff part of our studio. They had to wake the people up to get in the room and the breakers were all switched off for our studio. They gave those people free meals because they were staying on cash. I saw the guy at the pool yesterday and I went up to apologize about it, but to be honest, disney had 14 hours to send someone to fix it. I reported it at noon, so obviously nobody every even looked. I told the guy what happened and he said not to worry that they picked up all his food for his stay. I'm glad it worked out for 1 of us.
Okay I am confused. You talk about how you will get the points and now you say you may lose them? You'll get them back, relax honestly. I know it's crappy but that's what happens during hurricane season. It goes through an exceptions group to get points changed around and with all those displaced due to the storm, it might just take a while.

The room thing is something I'd have talked to the front desk about. That's not okay.

You do sound very disgruntled and partially understandably. I would be writing in to the GM of where you stayed and DVC member satisfaction. They really should have moved you but with the craziness with the storm and parts of FL sheltering in WDW for safety, you might not have had many options to pick from.

Bpmorley

And I did talk to member services, and they told me exactly what the front desk did. That there were no studios available at any DVC resort and 1 bdrs would require more points.
Okay I am confused. You talk about how you will get the points and now you say you may lose them? You'll get them back, relax honestly. I know it's crappy but that's what happens during hurricane season. It goes through an exceptions group to get points changed around and with all those displaced due to the storm, it might just take a while.

The room thing is something I'd have talked to the front desk about. That's not okay.

You do sound very disgruntled and partially understandably. I would be writing in to the GM of where you stayed and DVC member satisfaction. They really should have moved you but with the craziness with the storm and parts of FL sheltering in WDW for safety, you might not have had many options to pick from.
Yes, we got our points back, but at first they only gave us a month to sail again. I dont know about anyone else, but I cant just get off of work like that. Me and my wife are up to about 30 hours of phone calls. A cm will tell us something then the follow up email will say something different. It's absolutely frustrating. And yes I know about hurricanes but treating cash and dvc point customers 2 different ways makes us feel like 2nd class citizens. So as of this morning, they rebooked us for June 4th 2020, I'm not off. Nor can i get off. So now i guess we start over.

I'm sure we will be on phone again today and something else will change.

Club Cooloholic

And I did talk to member services, and they told me exactly what the front desk did. That there were no studios available at any DVC resort and 1 bdrs would require more points.

Yes, we got our points back, but at first they only gave us a month to sail again. I dont know about anyone else, but I cant just get off of work like that. Me and my wife are up to about 30 hours of phone calls. A cm will tell us something then the follow up email will say something different. It's absolutely frustrating. And yes I know about hurricanes but treating cash and dvc point customers 2 different ways makes us feel like 2nd class citizens. So as of this morning, they rebooked us for June 4th 2020, I'm not off. Nor can i get off. So now i guess we start over.

I'm sure we will be on phone again today and something else will change.
The sailing thing is terrible. Whether you think using points on a cruise is a good value or not is irrelevant to Disney failing to provide for a customer a reasonable compensation for failing to deliver on what you bought. Yes it's the risk a cruiser takes sailing in hurricane season but it's also the risk Disney takes scheduling cruises during that time.
As for the room, are you telling me that you were forced to stay in a room that had no electricity? That seems illegal.

Bpmorley

The sailing thing is terrible. Whether you think using points on a cruise is a good value or not is irrelevant to Disney failing to provide for a customer a reasonable compensation for failing to deliver on what you bought. Yes it's the risk a cruiser takes sailing in hurricane season but it's also the risk Disney takes scheduling cruises during that time.
As for the room, are you telling me that you were forced to stay in a room that had no electricity? That seems illegal.
About the room. We got to our room about 11am, wife went to use the bathroom and I went to put the TV on. It wouldn't go on. So I called the front desk and told them. They said they would send someone within an hour. I asked if I had to stay, they said no. We were out till about 1 am. Got in the room and nothing worked. I realized then that the electric must have also been out that morning, but with all the sunlight I never tried a light switch. Called the front desk, only to be told that they didnt have anyone available to come over. So I asked for another room, that's when they said that they only had 1 bdrs and those were more points. So now I walk to the front desk and get the guy in charge. He says the same thing. Now I have get loud and cause a scene, which means nothing cause there is nobody there. After about a half hour they call someone who comes over and figures out the problem. We had breakfast reservations at 7, its 3 when we finally get electric.

Club Cooloholic

About the room. We got to our room about 11am, wife went to use the bathroom and I went to put the TV on. It wouldn't go on. So I called the front desk and told them. They said they would send someone within an hour. I asked if I had to stay, they said no. We were out till about 1 am. Got in the room and nothing worked. I realized then that the electric must have also been out that morning, but with all the sunlight I never tried a light switch. Called the front desk, only to be told that they didnt have anyone available to come over. So I asked for another room, that's when they said that they only had 1 bdrs and those were more points. So now I walk to the front desk and get the guy in charge. He says the same thing. Now I have get loud and cause a scene, which means nothing cause there is nobody there. After about a half hour they call someone who comes over and figures out the problem. We had breakfast reservations at 7, its 3 when we finally get electric.
Yikes, yeah seems pretty cut and dry, they should have known the issue and tried to call you and offer to move you that day. At 1am..not a fun thing to go through and something even a Motel 6 would handle better. I agree with you here, as a paying customer vs DVC you have much more leverage. You can document and tell your credit card company to dispute the charges etc, honestly it's why I prefer to book the hotel separately instead of a package.

Bpmorley

Yikes, yeah seems pretty cut and dry, they should have known the issue and tried to call you and offer to move you that day. At 1am..not a fun thing to go through and something even a Motel 6 would handle better. I agree with you here, as a paying customer vs DVC you have much more leverage. You can document and tell your credit card company to dispute the charges etc, honestly it's why I prefer to book the hotel separately instead of a package.
That's not the only dvc room issue we ever had either. And I dont think we get treated right because we've already bought in. I was given a room under construction, 1 that was destroyed, 1 never cleaned, and best was checking in at 11am and being told at 7pm that they are out of rooms. Every single time we were told the same thing, they only have 1bdrs and those are more points. I always say I just want the room I paid for.

correcaminos

That's not the only dvc room issue we ever had either. And I dont think we get treated right because we've already bought in. I was given a room under construction, 1 that was destroyed, 1 never cleaned, and best was checking in at 11am and being told at 7pm that they are out of rooms. Every single time we were told the same thing, they only have 1bdrs and those are more points. I always say I just want the room I paid for.

I'll be blunt here. You're unhappy, why not just sell as you mentioned above? I admit I have a hard time believing this happens so much too and that you get the *exact same response* every single time. Sounds like DVC isn't really your thing anymore and everything makes you unhappy. I'm not trying to be mean here, but it's so negative and it sounds like it's not a good thing for you.

Bpmorley

I'll be blunt here. You're unhappy, why not just sell as you mentioned above? I admit I have a hard time believing this happens so much too and that you get the *exact same response* every single time. Sounds like DVC isn't really your thing anymore and everything makes you unhappy. I'm not trying to be mean here, but it's so negative and it sounds like it's not a good thing for you.
How do you get that everything makes me unhappy? Of course it's negative I just had a terrible experience. And yes that the response you get when you are there. I keep on them with phone calls and letters. I'm gonna make them pay me in the end.

correcaminos

How do you get that everything makes me unhappy? Of course it's negative I just had a terrible experience. And yes that the response you get when you are there. I keep on them with phone calls and letters. I'm gonna make them pay me in the end.
Sorry, by reading your posts you seem unhappy. You mentioned even dumping your points above. Maybe I'm wrong but that sounds like you are unhappy. As does your last phrase. Though making someone pay you for what? All so negative sounding.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sorry, by reading your posts you seem unhappy. You mentioned even dumping your points above. Maybe I'm wrong but that sounds like you are unhappy. As does your last phrase. Though making someone pay you for what? All so negative sounding.
I'm still having a bit of trouble believing that he has had all the bad luck. In over 30 DVC trips, we have never encountered anything like he has experienced. If he has the last studio, and there is a maintenance issue, and there are no more left at any DVC resort, but 1 bedrooms are available, I cannot believe that Disney would not put them up in the 1 bedroom for no extra fee until a studio could be made available. I just have a hard time believing that all they said was that it was more points - especially when it looks like it was Disney's fault.

Bpmorley

I'm still having a bit of trouble believing that he has had all the bad luck. In over 30 DVC trips, we have never encountered anything like he has experienced. If he has the last studio, and there is a maintenance issue, and there are no more left at any DVC resort, but 1 bedrooms are available, I cannot believe that Disney would not put them up in the 1 bedroom for no extra fee until a studio could be made available. I just have a hard time believing that all they said was that it was more points - especially when it looks like it was Disney's fault.
I am dead serious. I don't know how many trips though. Members since 04 and I know twice we went 8 times in a year. We end alot of other trips with at least 1 day on property. technically this year, we've been there 4 times, for a total of 7 days. Also, if we do more than a week, we split the stay. We've had tons of stays without issues, this isn't what this thread is about though. These are reasons to feel like second class, when cash customers get better service with an issue than a DVC member. I hope you never never have the experience. But if it does, remember they will not upgrade you with you spending more points. Even if it's a studio for studio trade. There were 5 members sitting around the pool last week, none of us ever met and we all had similar stories. So at least I know I'm not alone.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I am dead serious. I don't know how many trips though. Members since 04 and I know twice we went 8 times in a year. We end alot of other trips with at least 1 day on property. technically this year, we've been there 4 times, for a total of 7 days. Also, if we do more than a week, we split the stay. We've had tons of stays without issues, this isn't what this thread is about though. These are reasons to feel like second class, when cash customers get better service with an issue than a DVC member. I hope you never never have the experience. But if it does, remember they will not upgrade you with you spending more points. Even if it's a studio for studio trade. There were 5 members sitting around the pool last week, none of us ever met and we all had similar stories. So at least I know I'm not alone.
The thing is, I've had issues in recent years even and were treated great. An egg broke on my balcony and we got free housekeeping for the week. The door didn't close right and we got chocolates. It needed a second fix and we got cookies and milk.

I had to be reassigned at BWV and I was upgraded free of charge. So that's why there is doubt. I've never heard so many stories where people weren't taken care of.

Bpmorley

The thing is, I've had issues in recent years even and were treated great. An egg broke on my balcony and we got free housekeeping for the week. The door didn't close right and we got chocolates. It needed a second fix and we got cookies and milk.

I had to be reassigned at BWV and I was upgraded free of charge. So that's why there is doubt. I've never heard so many stories where people weren't taken care of.
Well last week I heard dozens. And there are threads here and other forum sites with plenty of horror stories.

correcaminos

Well last week I heard dozens. And there are threads here and other forum sites with plenty of horror stories.
I don't do a certain site beginning with DIS but I haven't seen them elsewhere. Truly my last few years have had better, not worse, service for DVC. Sorry you had issues though.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well, I checked here in this forum all the way back to January, and there are hardly any threads complaining about the service from CMs related to DVC. About the only complaint seems to be that their room wasn't ready by 4pm. I know there was a certain now banned poster that constantly complained about bad service from DVC, but I think that was a direct reflection of how he treated the CMs. You do know that Disney puts any and all complaints that you make into their system, along with the attitude you had about it, right?

As an example of the type of service we always receive - we were at the Treehouses, and noticed a large scratch on the TV in the living room. We didn't want Disney to think that we did it, so we called to let them know, and also told them that a replacement could wait until after our trip. Well, there was a maintenance person there in less than 30 minutes with a brand new TV. We told him it wasn't necessary, but he said we shouldn't have to look at the TV with a big scratch in it during our stay. To us, that's above and beyond, since we told them it could wait, and just one example of the many times that they have gone above and beyond.

I am sorry that you have had so many issues, and you do seem quite bitter about them, so maybe it is time to throw in the DVC towel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom