News Holiday decor and entertainment to expand to all lands at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2019

ThatMouse

I think AK has to be careful with Christmas, because it's not so much Christmas trees and Santa in these continents, and it would look like Kwansa threw-up if you just put American decorations in there. That's why it's white or "vintage" style instead of red/blue/green.

Jambo Joe

This is an outside stand, it isn't Joe and Mac's apartment in San Francisco. The humans are waving their holiday in the Na'vi's faces. I would have been perfectly alright with a Na'vi holiday being present instead. But it seems wrong to have the human's Christmas.
There are no Na’vi. Either in real life or (perhaps a controversial argument) in the world created in Dak.

raymusiccity

the decorations around the tree of life look very nice, combined with the puppet characters I think that will be a very special addition.

Everything else is just a big yawn and seems to just exaggerate what they have already done.
I'm sure that there's a lot more details that will be released as we get closer to the 'Holidays'. They've already ordered a boat load of unique Avatar merchandise !
Avatarpullover-mock-2-863x521.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney's Animal Kingdom to host New Year's Eve for the first time since the Millennium

The countdown is just on the Tree of Life and not also at the RoL arena? Yikes. The viewing area for Tree of Life is tiny compared to even DHS's hub viewing area.

They'd better quickly program a show at RoL. They don't need to create a story or new projections. Just have the floats circle around for a half hour before midnight cycling their SFX on and off in a low-key manner and then build up to the countdown. The projections can just be in psychedelic screen-saver mode.

TrainsOfDisney

It is a competition to see who has the lamer NYE festivities--DHS or DAK. I think I'd argue it's DHS, which phones it in and merely plays the Star Wars fireworks show you can see every other night. At least DAK will have something novel.

I used to love going to DHS for New Years.... my routine would be watch the last comedy warehouse shows, watch the fireworks which were really good and accompanied by a live band (mulch), and then go back and wander around osbourne lights pretty much by myself as the crowds dispersed. Those were the good days I guess.

I try to avoid Epcot on New Years because of all the drinking crowd... so it’s MK for me... which isn’t bad. I watch from behind the castle and then start the new year with 0 wait time for Snow White Mine train and other fantasyland classics.

Kevin_W

I try to avoid Epcot on New Years because of all the drinking crowd... so it’s MK for me... which isn’t bad. I watch from behind the castle and then start the new year with 0 wait time for Snow White Mine train and other fantasyland classics.

We went to Epcot in NYE once a few years ago. Never again! The fireworks were awesome, but it wasn't worth it.

Sonconato

About 6 months ago, we were very happy when we had heard about Animal Kingdom getting many more Christmas enhancements that included Christmas songs being performed by Burudika! Well…there goes that!!! We were really looking forward to hearing what Burudika could create! We certainly welcome what Disney is planning regarding the décor but not the fact that they are cutting Burudika. We’ll see how it goes but it looks like we’ll be going back to spending more of our Holiday Season at Sea World. My family and I are really having a hard time with this senseless decision in cutting Burudika.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I think AK has to be careful with Christmas, because it's not so much Christmas trees and Santa in these continents, and it would look like Kwansa threw-up if you just put American decorations in there. That's why it's white or "vintage" style instead of red/blue/green.

Not to be particularly insensitive, but Kwansaa is a made-up holiday by Ronald McKinley Everett (who changed his name to something else), who spent time in jail for felonious assault. He's an avowed separatist It is NOT a holiday in Africa.

Lilofan

The best NYE celebration ever at Disney in my opinion was when MGM Studios in 1999 when NYE was a real event. Cheap Trick at the end of NY Street with the Osborne Christmas lights. Boy band LFO at Sunset Market Ranch , Some other band and DJ in front of Great Movie Ride, a brass band at Indiana Jones theatre. I think the park closed at 3am. Great times. I think DAK had their first and only fireworks show on NYE. The guests viewed it standing in the parking lot.

Last edited:

ThatMouse

The tree is cool, but the animation looks like it was done on a 1990's computer. Sorry just have to call that one out on a company who does animation. They did greatly improve the Cinderella castle projections over time to the point where there is 5 million things going on at once, like watching a Transformers movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom