Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

planodisney

The “I love original ToT” sentiment by the DL loyalists now is pretty funny.
I don’t know how many of you were on park forums when ToT DCA opened but the loyalists/traditionalists have always been the majority on these fan sites and have always bashed WDI, corporate Disney and very negative to most new additions in general, particularly anything IP based. You know, the please build Western River Expedition crowd and nothing else will do.
Anyway, they absolutely torched DCA ToT when it opened with so many of the same arguments used for other additions now.
1. Quick fix
2. Plopped down in a weird spot
3. Built a vastly inferior version.
4. Courtyard and exterior are awful.
it was absolutely blasted and disliked very similarly to how GOTG is disliked by the online community now.

Just funny to see how time changes things/opinions.

Mac Tonight

I love that recently this thread has been about any and everything BUT Marvel Land (can't bring myself to call it the Avengers Campus quite yet).

Don't stop now guys! SWL is still mediocre!!

Professortango1

I don’t know how many of you were on park forums when ToT DCA opened but the loyalists/traditionalists have always been the majority on these fan sites and have always bashed WDI, corporate Disney and very negative to most new additions in general, particularly anything IP based. You know, the please build Western River Expedition crowd and nothing else will do.
Anyway, they absolutely torched DCA ToT when it opened with so many of the same arguments used for other additions now.
1. Quick fix
it was absolutely blasted and disliked very similarly to how GOTG is disliked by the online community now.

Most would still agree is was a quick fix to DCA, it was placed badly, and the Facade and Queue don't hold a candle to the original version. Vastly inferior is subjective. Does it have the 5th Dimension Room? No. Does it have a faster paced narrative that focuses more on the ghost story and less on TV show elements? Yep. Does it contain new effects and thrills? Yep.

If the 5th Dimension room was well utilized and the transition to the drop shaft was less awkward at DHS, I might agree that DCA's improvements doesn't outweigh what it lost, but DHS's 5th Dimension Room is not well executed. Aside from moving horizontally and the star-field effect at the end, its really clunky. The transition into the drop shaft is also problematic with it taking a good 5-10 seconds while the car bumps and jostles itself into position, the temperature change lets us know we exited the show area, and the lack of dynamic audio while all this occurs. Having been on the DCA version, I was surprised how much that 5th Dimension Room sequence kills the momentum when revisiting the original Tower. That, the breaking window, and the unload sequence take the attraction down a few notches for me. DCA fixed those issues.

D

Deleted member 107043

1. Quick fix

I remember all of this well. A similar thing happened with the Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier transformation. The general sentiment originally was that Walt Disney was likely rolling in his grave over the boardwalk theme and all the "off the shelf" rides "evil" Michael Eisner had built next to Disneyland. As soon as the Pixarization of the land was announced the community suddenly became nostalgic for what it had been calling trash for years. 🙄

These wild overreactions are a big reason why I can't take the general opinions of the online Disneyland fan community seriously.

flynnibus

Premium Member
1. Quick fix

All of those things were true... and the problem was the result was being compared to another superior version.

Yearning for that prior solution now does not invalidate any of the prior points... it simply means A > B > C instead of the world only being binary.

Mac Tonight

They're making a Marvel land?
tenor.gif

planodisney

I remember all of this well. A similar thing happened with the Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier transformation. The general sentiment originally was that Walt Disney was likely rolling in his grave over the boardwalk theme and all the "off the shelf" rides "evil" Michael Eisner had built next to Disneyland. As soon as the Pixarization of the land was announced the community suddenly became nostalgic for what it had been calling trash for years. 🙄

These wild overreactions are a big reason why I can't take the general opinions of the online Disneyland fan community seriously.
I remember even up until 30-60 days prior to the opening that there were still only rumors that it might not have the 5th dimension room and panic set in. When it was finally confirmed the reaction from the backseat Imagineering intelligencia was very similar to the reaction of the lack of droids and characters in GE, but even stronger.
Then once it opened the GA loved it but the loyalists crucified it as quick fix, way to short with the lack of the 5th dimension room and evidence that Disney had no idea what they were doing anymore.
I will say that while I liked the DCA version, I did think they should have added one more show scene to make up for the lack of 5th dimension room.
I don’t feel that with GOTG.

mickEblu

Wait... so if I only give you something half-assed... and then give you something completely junk... you can't ask to at least get back what you had?

Fascinating....

Right. And this doesn’t even address the large number of people who haven’t been on any other version of TOT and are only comparing TOT at DCA to GOTG.

With that said I guess it would be kind of fascinating to see the same people that condemn GOTG:MB today defend it in the future no matter the scenario

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Wait... so if I only give you something half-assed... and then give you something completely junk... you can't ask to at least get back what you had?

Maybe. Your assessment makes the claim that Pixar Pier is "half-assed", which is a sentiment I happen to agree with. However, viewpoints like these are frequently stated here and elsewhere as if they are fact, and gain traction as "truth" within the online community echo chamber, yet they are merely opinions.

Anyway, apologies to all for sidetracking the conversation. Carry on.

mickEblu

Maybe. Your assessment makes the claim that Pixar Pier is "half-assed", which is a sentiment I happen to agree with. However, viewpoints like these are frequently stated here and elsewhere as if they are fact, and gain traction as "truth" within the online community echo chamber, yet they are merely opinions.

Anyway, apologies to all for sidetracking the conversation. Carry on.

No apology necessary. When are we not sidetracking?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom