News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MiddKid

How many US scream machines, that invert, don't have over the top restraints?

@Coaster Lover Has a good list going a few posts ago. Riders and engineers will tell you not only are the restraints not needed, but they can actually hinder the experience by ruining comfort. It's the lawyers and regulations that make them still show up. A few specific thoughts:
  • One of the most insane (and my current favorite) coasters is Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point. Not only does it go upside down but it actually takes a high speed right hand turn while banking left. All rules of physics are trying to physically launch you out of the train...lap bars only.
  • Another Cedar Point example...Top Thrill Dragster. 120 MPH, over 420 feet tall, 270 degree twist facing straight down. Lap bars only.
  • I often consider California Screamin' (Incredicoaster) one of the world's best family coasters. Launch, loop, drops, bunny hops, and a long ride time. It always killed me that the trains were coffins with OTSRs while a year later Intamin opens Xcelerator down the street going 82MPH and up 205ft in the air with only lap bars. It would be such a huge upgrade to replace the trains with a more modern design...you could actually enjoy the bunny hops with lap bars and people could actually see in the second rows due to the more open design!
  • This is not a new development either. The Schwarzkopf loopers from the 70s were lap bar only. Magic Mountain retrofitted Revolution with OTSRs only to bring lap bars back with the New Revolution.

trainplane3

@Coaster Lover Has a good list going a few posts ago. Riders and engineers will tell you not only are the restraints not needed, but they can actually hinder the experience by ruining comfort. It's the lawyers and regulations that make them still show up. A few specific thoughts:
  • One of the most insane (and my current favorite) coasters is Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point. Not only does it go upside down but it actually takes a high speed right hand turn while banking left. All rules of physics are trying to physically launch you out of the train...lap bars only.
  • Another Cedar Point example...Top Thrill Dragster. 120 MPH, over 420 feet tall, 270 degree twist facing straight down. Lap bars only.
  • I often consider California Screamin' (Incredicoaster) one of the world's best family coasters. Launch, loop, drops, bunny hops, and a long ride time. It always killed me that the trains were coffins with OTSRs while a year later Intamin opens Xcelerator down the street going 82MPH and up 205ft in the air with only lap bars. It would be such a huge upgrade to replace the trains with a more modern design...you could actually enjoy the bunny hops with lap bars and people could actually see in the second rows due to the more open design!
  • This is not a new development either. The Schwarzkopf loopers from the 70s were lap bar only. Magic Mountain retrofitted Revolution with OTSRs only to bring lap bars back with the New Revolution.
And something fun with TTD. It got lapbars but Kingda Ka got OTSRs even though it's only a bit bigger. Both stratas but two different experiences.

Steel Vengeance is pure insanity and I love every second of it. Now imagine Maverick with lapbars. That would be an experience. At least it has vests and dumped the old hard restraints.

DreamfinderGuy

If Drax doesn’t show up in this, I can’t wait for every single guest and cast member to say he’s just standing still
E379CB2E-3BFA-42E8-8456-77D5C29D0E48.jpeg

IMDREW

I'm guessing they'll have the same system as Slinky as in even and uneven numbers in two rows and filling the trains up with one or the other to not miss any empty seats. It works quite effectively. So I'm guessing no single riders..

DCLcruiser

Jokers Jinx, both Flight of Fears, Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Twisted Colossus, Wicked Cyclone, Steel Curtain, Superman (SFDK), SooperDooperLooper, Iron Rattler, Joker (SFDK), Mind Bender, New Revolution, I'm 100% certain I'm missing a bunch, but if you need me to continue the list, please let me know!
What random parks are these all from!?
Every RMC
Fiiine

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
What random parks are these all from!?

Six Flags America, Kings Dominion/Kings Island, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Six Flags New England, Kennywood, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Hershey Park, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Magic Mountain (Respectively)

DCLcruiser

Six Flags America, Kings Dominion/Kings Island, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Six Flags New England, Kennywood, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Hershey Park, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Magic Mountain (Respectively)
Ah, Six Flags outside of Great Adventure, didn't realize they had so much stuff.

I loved Cedar Point as a kid. Thanks!

Touchdown

I’m also guessing Drax isn’t a meet and great because of how hard it would be to replicate the makeup over an entire torso (a shirt would look incredibly cheap,) also as they learned from Capt Jack and Tarzan, sexual harassment isn’t just something men do.

I’m guessing that it’s a combination of this that has blocked Drax as a M&G. The question is if Dave Batista actually agreed and filmed ride segments for this which I assume occurred during the time when James Gunn was fired. If Drax doesn’t appear in cosmic rewind, I’m going to assume it’s because Batista refused to film an appearance.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’m also guessing Drax isn’t a meet and great because of how hard it would be to replicate the makeup over an entire torso (a shirt would look incredibly cheap,) also as they learned from Capt Jack and Tarzan, sexual harassment isn’t just something men do.

I’m guessing that it’s a combination of this that has blocked Drax as a M&G. The question is if Dave Batista actually agreed and filmed ride segments for this which I assume occurred during the time when James Gunn was fired. If Drax doesn’t appear in cosmic rewind, I’m going to assume it’s because Batista refused to film an appearance.
The character of Drax has an association with the Avengers, so his use is not allowed in Orlando due to the Universal contract.

Mike S

*insert sarcastic shocked face*
guy-shocked-face-emotion.gif

In Orlando?
The Great Movie Ride. He was in the montage at the end.

If Uni had a stink about a monorail wrap they would’ve gone for that too.

tribbleorlfl

*insert sarcastic shocked face*
guy-shocked-face-emotion.gif

The Great Movie Ride. He was in the montage at the end.

If Uni had a stink about a monorail wrap they would’ve gone for that too.
Also, the Vol 2 preview in the Sounds Dangerous theater.

I'd have to dust off my copy of the Marvel contract, but I'm reasonably sure there was a provision in there that in order for a character to be exclusive to UO east of the MS river, not only do they have to be associated with one of the protected families named in the contract, but also have to be used (and continue to be used) in the park. Even if one could argue Drax is in the Avengers family (that's extremely debatable), I don't believe he has ever been utilized in MSI (even in a mural).

lazyboy97o

Also, the Vol 2 preview in the Sounds Dangerous theater.

I'd have to dust off my copy of the Marvel contract, but I'm reasonably sure there was a provision in there that in order for a character to be exclusive to UO east of the MS river, not only do they have to be associated with one of the protected families named in the contract, but also have to be used (and continue to be used) in the park. Even if one could argue Drax is in the Avengers family (that's extremely debatable), I don't believe he has ever been utilized in MSI (even in a mural).
The families are not named, just examples given. They are claimed if a character is used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom