Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a new parade, I'm just not sure I want it every single night. I'm torn really...

I love MK at night and the last thing I want is people lining the sidewalks for hours every time we're there. The parades can cause such a nightmare getting around Main Street and the central area.
People curb sitting waiting for parades and fireworks is a phenomenon I will never understand...my brain is just to up to snuff to get 🤯

LSLS

So for the 50th we have confirmed:
* Tron
* Guardians
* Possibly Poppins

We have rumored:
* New fireworks
* New nighttime parade
* Plussing of MK attractions (e.g. adding of effects from BTM, Hatbox ghost to HM, etc.)
* Sprucing up of Tomorrowland

That's just the current announced/rumors. What else is necessary for you to consider them going "all out"?

Didn't they say a few years back they were doing 50 things for the 50th? I could have sworn I remembered that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Didn't they say a few years back they were doing 50 things for the 50th? I could have sworn I remembered that.

Only Spirit said that. It's very likely that that was a plan. It is unknown if that plan continues to exist because... Disney.

Anyway, we're still too far out for Disney to lay out their 50th plans... especially if they keep yanking things that were going to be on that list.

LSLS

Only Spirit said that. It's very likely that that was a plan. It is unknown if that plan continues to exist because... Disney.

Anyway, we're still too far out for Disney to lay out their 50th plans... especially if they keep yanking things that were going to be on that list.

Ah ok. For some reason I thought that was part of the official announcement. Too long ago for my memory.

rowrbazzle

So for the 50th we have confirmed:
* Tron
* Guardians
* Possibly Poppins

We have rumored:
* New fireworks
* New nighttime parade
* Plussing of MK attractions (e.g. adding of effects from BTM, Hatbox ghost to HM, etc.)
* Sprucing up of Tomorrowland

That's just the current announced/rumors. What else is necessary for you to consider them going "all out"?

I dunno. Taking four years to build those first two rides doesn't get me excited for the 50th. It seems more like they're just drawing it out to get excitement now and then they can also say it's for the 50th. The rest is fine, but it doesn't really move the needle for me. I mean, they just got new fireworks and the sprucing and adding effects seem long overdue. I guess it's just that none of it seems very special or specifically getting at a grand celebration. I really hope they have a lot more planned.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I dunno. Taking four years to build those first two rides doesn't get me excited for the 50th. It seems more like they're just drawing it out to get excitement now and then they can also say it's for the 50th. The rest is fine, but it doesn't really move the needle for me. I mean, they just got new fireworks and the sprucing and adding effects seem long overdue. I guess it's just that none of it seems very special or specifically getting at a grand celebration. I really hope they have a lot more planned.
You get the prize.

One key differentiation from the “Wall Street leadership” era as opposed to the “family leadership” era is that these timelines appear (at least) to be set independent of construction process.

That could be for structuring expenditures, PR multi use (here) or most likely both.

I can see 4 years on guardians...new show, new engineering...but on clones (2 of which fit this bill)?

Seems rather deliberate...even with groundwork.

mikejs78

Premium Member
You get the prize.

One key differentiation from the “Wall Street leadership” era as opposed to the “family leadership” era is that these timelines appear (at least) to be set independent of construction process.

That could be for structuring expenditures, PR multi use (here) or most likely both.

I can see 4 years on guardians...new show, new engineering...but on clones (2 of which fit this bill)?

Seems rather deliberate...even with groundwork.
Ok, so what did they do for previous anniversary celebrations that they won't do now (castle cake doesn't count).

solidyne

It can be taken a few ways.

Here's the quote: "we’ll welcome the first attraction inspired by Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane, which will join the United Kingdom pavilion as an entirely new neighborhood!"

In re-reading it, you could take it to mean Cherry Tree Lane is the 'attraction' but I took it to mean the first attraction IN Cherry Tree Lane as 'inspired by'. A carousel would fit that bill. Sorry. I want to believe it's more but it's not. PLEASE let me be wrong @marni1971
What a difference a comma would make.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok, so what did they do for previous anniversary celebrations that they won't do now (castle cake doesn't count).

Sorry I forgot about this

They’ll do some stuff for sure...merely from a PR perspective.

But take into account that Iger has never authorized a “15 month celebration” with a hefty budget in Disney World.

Eisner did four...the last greenlit while he was there and took place after he left

brb1006

Walt-Disney-World-50th-Anniversary-Logo-1440x807.jpg

MouseBrayden

A LOT is riding on this Q4 earnings report and the board's reaction to it. If revenues aren't good and management does not change, we might kiss a decent chunk of the awesome stuff Imagineering has planned for the 50th goodbye. It'll be budget cut right out of existence, trimmed down to bare bones.

There were things I believed to be lock that now are on the bubble, things that aren't even that big of an expense and obvious home runs with the fans and high guest revenue types. Lately, there seems to be a contempt for creativity to a degree that is not healthy and definitely not good for us as the end consumers.

My biggest fear is that all we'll end up getting for the 50th is the stuff marketing can run with, aesthetic stuff they can put on merchandise & advertisements rather than anything memorable, meaningful, or worthy of such a huge milestone.

The 50th anniversary should be more than 4 short-term increase guest revenue reports, it should be something that makes memories and keeps families coming back for the next 32+ revenue reports, but alas I fear they don't think about the long term.

MouseBrayden

Anyone who believed we were getting more than this to begin with was living in fantasyland tbh. There has been zero indication WDW was planning to celebrate the 50th with "bells on".
Not much has been set in stone yet, hence why we saw very little at D23. There is a lot of awesome stuff planned that hasn't gotten the axe yet, my point is that I fear it will, should revenues go south in Q4.

Setting your expectations where they're already at is actually pretty good because you'll likely be impressed by what we do end up getting rather than disappointed by expecting the world.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Not much has been set in stone yet, hence why we saw very little at D23. There is a lot of awesome stuff planned that hasn't gotten the axe yet, my point is that I fear it will, should revenues go south in Q4.

Setting your expectations where they're already at is actually pretty good because you'll likely be impressed by what we do end up getting rather than disappointed by expecting the world.
Agree on all counts. People should stop gleefully proclaiming that SWGE is terrible all over the Internet. It’s not and we will regret all this in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom