Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

MGMBoy

Remember the SGI virtual reality exhibit there back in the mid 90s? They had a droolworthy Onyx RealityEngine set up. It opened in 12/95, got "renovated" in 10/96 and finally closed in 10/97. I'm spacing the name offhand, but you could enter VR and fight a pterodactyl or some such. Another SGI VR exhibit let you ride Alladin's carpet (which may have been in 94).

I very clearly remember the Aladdin magic carpet one. Vaguely remember the other one. Old school CommuniCore was my jam!

MGMBoy

I would think the tunnel will stay, how else would you service the Wonder Table? It's too useful of a space to give up.

It'd make sense for it to go somewhere in and around where Colortopia was, while they renovate MouseGear and around Electric Umbrella. I think someone has said that whole northeast quadrant will eventually be dining? Probably where the new permanent Starbucks is going?

A part of me wonders if they might actually EXPAND the tunnel (or at least add a branch to it) to connect to the new festival center. Considering everything they plan to have going on in there, they will almost NEED tunnel access for support. Might be part of the reason they are pulling fountain of nations, to allow for tunnel expansion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Communicore died over 29 years ago.. I'm long past mourning that. I'm happy that Disney has finally gotten off their and is doing something with that disgrace they called Innoventions which should have been put out of it's misery over 15 years ago.

I'm just happy they are doing more than just plopping down another sponsor tradeshow booth... even if that only meant gardens.

*Q*

A part of me wonders if they might actually EXPAND the tunnel (or at least add a branch to it) to connect to the new festival center. Considering everything they plan to have going on in there, they will almost NEED tunnel access for support. Might be part of the reason they are pulling fountain of nations, to allow for tunnel expansion.
The tunnel already extends that far. The new Festival Center is going roughly where Club Cool is.

Kidblacksmith

Not sure. I was trying to be but I bolted out of there just before 10 because I knew the southeast hall would be closing then. Here’s the group photo of the last people in there. The center were the closing cast, and those surrounding were the last guests. I’m the guy front and center sporting the Innoventions Shirt
View attachment 407967
Was the close of the Communicore Hall very ceremonious? I waited around til about 9:30 but could tell there were some people determined to wait the duration and I had to get home. Was hoping some castmember acknowledgement or something would occur other than a silent shuttering of the place

World_Showcase_Lover007

Very, very true. Guest feedback has indicated that Epcot does not currently have enough bars, so that is why we are building a new one. Names being considered include "Chapek's Cantina" and "Bob's Booze Bonanza".

Hey Bob, any way we can get some more bars in Epcot that also have shade and an IP tie in? Oh an if you were required to present your Disney/Target Visa credit card to gain admittance that would be cool too. These things are truly what guests want so let’s give it to them!

DreamfinderGuy

Was the close of the Communicore Hall very ceremonious? I waited around til about 9:30 but could tell there were some people determined to wait the duration and I had to get home. Was hoping some castmember acknowledgement or something would occur other than a silent shuttering of the place
It was a quiet but emotional farewell. The only people in there were just my mom and I and a CM standing guard at the door, that’s all. The Innoventions loop playing softly over the speaker, as I softly say “Well, I guess that’s it.” My voice echoed the corridor as I looked back and headed for the exit.

“Do you guys have a lot memories in here?” the Cast Member had said.

I responded with something along the lines of
“Yeah, you could say that. She’s been walking this hall for over 30 years, me about ten.”

The Cast Member responded with “Yeah, I’m sad to see it go too. Have a good night”

And the doors opened for us to leave, and then shut once more, this time for good.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
It was a quiet but emotional farewell. The only people in there were just my mom and I and a CM standing guard at the door, that’s all. The Innoventions loop playing softly over the speaker, as I softly say “Well, I guess that’s it.” My voice echoed the corridor as I looked back and headed for the exit.

“Do you guys have a lot memories in here?” the Cast Member had said.

I responded with something along the lines of
“Yeah, you could say that. She’s been walking this hall for over 30 years, me about ten.”

The Cast Member responded with “Yeah, I’m sad to see it go too. Have a good night”

And the doors opened for us to leave, and then shut once more, this time for good.
DaAAAAANNNNNNNNNG, Who is Cutting Onions in my office?!?!?

Figments Friend

Very sad to see the Fountain of Nations go.
That fountain had a important role to play in EPCOT Center's opening.

Who here remembers the ceremony of representatives from many countries bringing a small decorative container filled with different waters collected from famous bodies of water from around the world?
And at the right moment, all of the representatives pore the waters into the fountain together, representing world unity?

How about the 're-enactment' of the ceremony for the Park's 25th Anniversary, where they did a similar thing but presided over by Marty Sklar?
That was quite meaningful as well.

I remember.
:)

The Fountain of Nations was far more then just a fountain.
And more then just a fountain that later had 'dancing' waters to choreographed music.

Yes, a bit more.

Goodbye, old friend.

:cry:

-

Cmdr_Crimson

Very sad to see the Fountain of Nations go.
That fountain had a important role to play in EPCOT Center's opening.

Who here remembers the ceremony of representatives from many countries bringing a small decorative container filled with different waters collected from famous bodies of water from around the world?
And at the right moment, all of the representatives pore the waters into the fountain together, representing world unity?

How about the 're-enactment' of the ceremony for the Park's 25th Anniversary, where they did a similar thing but presided over by Marty Sklar?
That was quite meaningful as well.

I remember.
:)

The Fountain of Nations was far more then just a fountain.
And more then just a fountain that later had 'dancing' waters to choreographed music.

Yes, a bit more.

Goodbye, old friend.

:cry:

-

Yeah, sadly I don't think there was any video documentation of the ceremony I've seen on Youtube...However the Disney Parks blog did show these 2 photos of the ceremony..
EEA991826SMALL.jpg
EEA991829SMALL.jpg

gustaftp

Perhaps one should explain better then? Sorry but if you're sad over the closing of a building that served no purpose in the last decade, I have to question why. You have failed to provide an adequate explanation. Do better, I know you can because of your vast knowledge of the parks history.

I keep seeing posts like this in other forums and areas I am interested in. This is a poorly-formed utilitarian argument.

For example, there was a beautiful de-consecrated church located near me in the Italianate Revival style, designed by a notable architect and more than met the criteria for being listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Not only was the architecture stunning, the architect notable, but people celebrated people's most important moments there - baptisms, first communions, funerals, weddings, etc.

The primary school that wound up purchasing the property decided 5 years after making lip-service to preserving it, that they would demolish the building the neighborhood considered a beloved landmark. This angered and upset a lot of people, including engineers and architects, who rightfully believed the church building could've been adaptively reused.

Instead, the school's leadership and their acosytes mocked the neighbors, stating things like "it's just a building", "it doesn't matter", "it wasn't used as a church anymore", "we can't use it as a gymnasium because we want regulation-sized basketball courts", "you shouldn't care about what we do with our property" etc etc etc. So, the building wound up being torn down despite the recommendations of historic preservation boards, engineers, the desires of the neighborhood, etc.

In many ways, the tearing down of both that church and Communicore/Innoventions shows that the towel had been thrown in, even though that outcome didn't need to happen if only the people in charge had used some possibility thinking.

Places like this are more than "just a building" to a lot of people. I mourn the loss of great places, even if I never got to experience them in their grandeur.

Grand Central Terminal in New York City was very nearly demolished to build a modernist skyscraper. Arguments similar to yours were mounted: "it's old, it's ugly, trains are outdated", etc. Now that it has been restored to its grandeur, I doubt anyone today would argue that New York City would be better off without Grand Central.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yeah, sadly I don't think there was any video documentation of the ceremony I've seen on Youtube...However the Disney Parks blog did show these 2 photos of the ceremony..
EEA991826SMALL.jpg
EEA991829SMALL.jpg

I think I've seen a still photo or two of Lillian Disney at the ceremony for the Fountain of Nations. And now it's gone. Sorry, getting a bit choked up at the moment...

Bender123

I keep seeing posts like this in other forums and areas I am interested in. This is a poorly-formed utilitarian argument.

For example, there was a beautiful de-consecrated church located near me in the Italianate Revival style, designed by a notable architect and more than met the criteria for being listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Not only was the architecture stunning, the architect notable, but people celebrated people's most important moments there - baptisms, first communions, funerals, weddings, etc.

The primary school that wound up purchasing the property decided 5 years after purchasing the property and making lip-service to preserving it, that they would demolish the building the neighborhood considered a beloved landmark. This angered and upset a lot of people, including engineers and architects, who rightfully believed the church building could've been adaptively reused.

Instead, the school's leadership and their acosytes mocked the neighbors, stating things like "it's just a building", "it doesn't matter", "it wasn't used as a church anymore", "we can't use it as a gymnasium because we want regulation-sized basketball courts", "you shouldn't care about what we do with our property" etc etc etc. So, the building wound up being torn down despite the recommendations of historic preservation boards, engineers, the desires of the neighborhood, etc.

In many ways, the tearing down of both that church and Communicore/Innoventions shows that the towel had been thrown in, even though that outcome didn't need to happen if only the people in charge had used some possibility thinking.

Places like this are more than "just a building" to a lot of people. I mourn the loss of great places, even if I never got to experience them in their grandeur.

Grand Central Terminal in New York City was very nearly demolished to build a modernist skyscraper. Arguments similar to yours were mounted: "it's old, it's ugly, trains are outdated", etc. Now that it has been restored to its grandeur, I doubt anyone today would argue that New York City would be better off without Grand Central.

To many, the old Communicore buildings are pretty boring, bland and meh...Me included...

I do like the other FW buildings and all were extremely unique, but those buildings? Nope...to me, they look like any other convention center. Sterile and basic.

Just google "Conference Center Lobby" and you will immediately understand why I feel that way. All they need is nametags and binders on the attractions you will see today.

The interesting thing about it is that they could have been great buildings, if only their phase 2 ever happened...Had they included the People Mover and expansions out to the monorail track, they would have been great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom