News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Mike S

No, you are absolutely right, $40.00-$200.00 is very reasonable for a cup of tea and finger sandwiches... It is foolish of me to think otherwise. I was completely wrong...Now, out of my way, I need to get a $69.00 hamburger.
You're thinking about the prices in the context of people like us.

To the snooty rich people that this stuff caters to it’s pocket change/couch money.

Bocabear

I just looked up the menu at Harrods tea room...Which is a beautiful room and a lovely experience. One might even say lavish,(about $39.00) though I prefer the old Criterion myself...,all still well under the prices that Disney charges...
Tea at Fortnum and Mason's Diamond Jubilee Tea Room is $73.00 US but the Grand Floridian Tea is nowhere close to the quality and experience you would get there...I mean, not even in the same stratosphere...
So just because some restaurants in Boston overcharge for an afternoon Tea does not mean Disney should then charge 30-50% higher for an inferior product...

Bocabear

Or alternatively, build a Buzz Lightyear-style dark ride based on Bedknobs and Broomsticks with a flying Angela Lansbury robot where you fire lazer guns at Nazis.
What a great idea! Both of them! I guess by that notion we should also then have a Spanish Tapas restaurant in Morocco since Morocco was once under Spain....and France at some point too, so Morocco could get a nice Crepe restaurant... they have enough Moroccan influences there already....right?

Animaniac93-98

What a great idea! Both of them! I guess by that notion we should also then have a Spanish Tapas restaurant in Morocco since Morocco was once under Spain....and France at some point too, so Morocco could get a nice Crepe restaurant... they have enough Moroccan influences there already....right?

The Chateau in the Canada pavilion is based on Chateau Laurier which, like all Fairmont chateau hotels, has an afternoon tea. It's a staple of their service and experience. You can see what's on the menu for Laurier's afternoon tea here: http://m.fairmont.com/laurier-ottawa/pdf/clh-afternoon-tea-august-2019-en/

It's hardly a cultural stretch to suggest turning the former gift shop space into a small dining room for this use.

Timothy_Q

Here's a little secret, tea is not a British thing either, it's from China.

Cultures spread / are stolen throughout history.

Bocabear

Here's a little secret, tea is not a British thing either, it's from China.

Cultures spread / are stolen throughout history.
The tradition of Afternoon Tea...which is what we are talking about, was introduced in 1840 by the Duchess of Bedford. It is considered a British custom to take Tea in the afternoon... Yes, Tea comes from China... Thanks for pointing that out...but that adds absolutely nothing to the discussion about having a tearoom in the United Kingdom Pavilion... While we are talking about China, it would also be amazing to have a Dim Sum restaurant in that pavilion, but I am sure other cultures have dumplings....so, um yeah.

Timothy_Q

The tradition of Afternoon Tea...which is what we are talking about, was introduced in 1840 by the Duchess of Bedford. It is considered a British custom to take Tea in the afternoon... Yes, Tea comes from China... Thanks for pointing that out...but that adds absolutely nothing to the discussion about having a tearoom in the United Kingdom Pavilion... While we are talking about China, it would also be amazing to have a Dim Sum restaurant in that pavilion, but I am sure other cultures have dumplings....so, um yeah.
You just made a post making fun of the idea that things "from one country" could be in another one.

That's my point.

Bocabear

You just made a post making fun of the idea that things "from one country" could be in another one.

That's my point.
When you are representing nations in the small footprint of a national pavilion, One wants to use iconic pieces of their culture... Things that are easily understandable and internationally recognized. While I know that Tea comes from China, The United Kingdom is internationally known for their cultural embracement of tea and specifically in the ritual of Afternoon Tea. The discussion was about how great it would be to have an example of that internationally known and understood British tradition of Afternoon Tea... The post I remarked on was stating that there were already too many British/London references in the United Kingdom Pavilion... And that a British Tearoom should instead be in the Canada Pavilion...(as it was once under British Rule, but is no longer)...
Which seemed to me to be off the point of the UK Pavilion which we were discussing...
The United States was also once a colony of Britain, and there are many fine hotels around the country that serve Afternoon Tea, but within the context of the World Showcase, an Afternoon Tearoom would not seem appropriate in the American Pavilion either... Though, again, I do know that the tea traditionally came from China....

Animaniac93-98

The United States was also once a colony of Britain, and there are many fine hotels around the country that serve Afternoon Tea, but within the context of the World Showcase, an Afternoon Tearoom would not seem appropriate in the American Pavilion either...

But none of those fine hotels are referenced in the World Showcase American Adventure.

Canada at Epcot since day one has had a recreation of a Railroad Gothic hotel, one that is a part of Canadian iconography. It used to be guest accessible, but now just sits empty. There was once a plan to put a service elevator inside for CM use. They could finally add one with access to the kitchen below and maybe storage above.

It's not just about cultural relevance/reference, which there is both past and present, it's also about making use of what's already there.

Rich Brownn

It hardly made a profit and performed below expectations. Seems like you’re the one who wanted it to be a success.

I never saw it.
It'll still be making money after you and I are gone. Also it pleased the family, so it leaves the franchise possible for other adoptions (In fact a stage production has already been proposed.) But you're the one who has been going on endless so since you have nothing productive to say.....

DiscoveryTank

Officially announced at the 2019 D23 Parks, Resorts, and Products Panel.

Original Post:
I've seen a rumor on Facebook that a Loch Ness monster inspired attraction may be coming to the UK Pavilion. Seems a little far fetched and I haven't seen it posted about in here. But the group I'm referencing has a pretty good track record about posting information.

Has anyone heard anything about this? @marni1971 @Magic Feather ?
I do wonder what it will be as it is just a land,
Will there even be a ride?
Will it possibly open by 2021?
I wonder what Disney will do.
I bet it will be finished by the 50th but not the ride if it is coming.

wannabeBelle

The prices at the Grand Floridian for afternoon tea are criminal... High end $150 pp, Moderate end $50.00
That's just nuts!
The whole UK pavilion to me is such a letdown...a Pub with a restaurant, and a couple tiny shops... It hardly represents what the United Kingdom is all about. Adding a Mary Poppins attraction is a start, but yeah...it REALLY needs a tea room, and like Japan has Mitsukoshi, The UK pavilion needs a mini Harrods... and a good British quick serve that is in addition to the Fish and Chip shoppe with a lovely covered seating area ...Tea, Pasties and meat pies.. Like this...View attachment 407217
Agreed on the pricing for sure. I used to do this once a trip. Now at most it is once every few trips, just due the cost increase. For a while there TiW wasn't even being accepted for a discount although I heard that had changed. Id love a bakery style option for that in the UK. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom