Cruise employees left at Castaway Cay during Dorian?

ChuckElias

They have a storm shelter (I've also seen it called a "bunker") that's equipped with food, water, and restrooms which was built for exactly this purpose. They are safe.

It's only a bad look if Disney promised to evacuate them and then didn't. But that claim is second-hand from one of the CM's family member.

jme

This is standard procedure. See the thread on Hurricane Matthew that went directly over Castaway Cay, which had a crew of 80 stay on the island in the storm shelter.

HouCuseChickie

While Disney is operating according to their standards, I don't think it helps their image in this when this was RCL's statement concerning their actions and plans for the evacuation of CocoCay.

Our CocoCay Team is made up of over 400 Bahamian locals on the island and it’s important that they evacuate to care for their families and secure their homes, as soon as possible. We evaluated all options, and this is the best decision, as there is no room for error when it comes to the safety and security of our guests, crew, and employees. This is our top priority.

I know...different companies, islands, structures, etc., and I'm sure Disney's people are ready to spin it in their favor. Still, having your team ride out a cat 5 (now 4) when other cruise lines evacuated...essentially saying people were their priority...well, it looks bad. Sure, you can argue that staff were told they'd be staying and they're safe, but did that make it the right choice? Still, I'm sure they won't lose any $ or business over it.

KeithVH

me_stitch

Premium Member
I'm assuming most of the employees are from the Bahamas, do u think maybe they were given the option and I don't know chose to stay South of the hurricane?

lazyboy97o

While Disney is operating according to their standards, I don't think it helps their image in this when this was RCL's statement concerning their actions and plans for the evacuation of CocoCay.

Our CocoCay Team is made up of over 400 Bahamian locals on the island and it’s important that they evacuate to care for their families and secure their homes, as soon as possible. We evaluated all options, and this is the best decision, as there is no room for error when it comes to the safety and security of our guests, crew, and employees. This is our top priority.

I know...different companies, islands, structures, etc., and I'm sure Disney's people are ready to spin it in their favor. Still, having your team ride out a cat 5 (now 4) when other cruise lines evacuated...essentially saying people were their priority...well, it looks bad. Sure, you can argue that staff were told they'd be staying and they're safe, but did that make it the right choice? Still, I'm sure they won't lose any $ or business over it.
The cycnical view could easily be that Royal Caribbean sent people home so that they were not the company’s responsibility.

ChuckElias

Our CocoCay Team is made up of over 400 Bahamian locals on the island and it’s important that they evacuate to care for their families and secure their homes, as soon as possible.

The cycnical view could easily be that Royal Caribbean sent people home so that they were not the company’s responsibility.
Another view would be that Royal Caribbean's staff is made up of locals and DCL's crew is not. I have NO idea if that's true, but it might help to explain why the DCL staff don't need to get to their homes and families?

HouCuseChickie

Another view would be that Royal Caribbean's staff is made up of locals and DCL's crew is not. I have NO idea if that's true, but it might help to explain why the DCL staff don't need to get to their homes and families?

Oh yeah...I'm sure there are a multitude of angles and factors to add into the decisions. I just could see someone using it since many of the major media sources posted the Disney story. Ultimately, with the storm just sitting there, who knows what the right decision was for all of this.

Phonedave

Or, maybe they had the option, and they decided to stay.

I work for a large telecom company that has it's roots in the original bell system and it's "culture of service". It is still very much part of the company culture. Our employees make sure their families are safe, but after that, we go to work and do what needs to be done. We have dozens of people heading to impacted areas (or already staged there). It's not something special, it is part of the culture of most utility companies.

If I worked on Castaway Cay, and my family is outside of any danger, and I have a facility to stay safe in on the island, I would be there too.

Last edited:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Latest update from Disney:

Castaway Cay - UPDATED

Many of our Guests have asked questions about Castaway Cay. Some of our Crew remained on the island and their care and safety is our highest priority. As forecasted, sustained winds on the island did not extend beyond tropical force strength and our Crew has returned to their living quarters after spending a few hours in our storm shelter yesterday.

KeithVH

While I'm very glad everyone is safe, what we don't know is how many of them are locals and have family that WERE affected by the storm. For Disney to say “Our Crew Members are in their living quarters and are, of course, concerned about their families, friends and homes in the areas that have been significantly impacted . . .” basically means the corporation before your family.

Maybe they WERE offered to be evac'd and chose not to go. Don't know. But current info and logic tells me potentially otherwise, especially considering the above wording. For what it would have cost them (and not just the $$$), Disney scr_w_d the pooch on this one.

KeithVH

I think you are trying to make a mountain out of mole hill.

True. 50/50 chance of either of us being right, I guess. Trying not to be a hater but also realizing there were better options here for Disney. Even if that were just a better way of them handling messaging around this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Trying not to be a hater but also realizing there were better options here for Disney

I think that's a big assumption... we don't even know what their requirements are.. so how can we judge their conclusions?

As for messaging.. its not like DIsney was promoting this, they were responding to inquiries.

The notion of people being 'forced' to stay or not.. is not addressed in any of the statements.

These people live on the island for their job... there was no safety reason to leave the island. So the only question is.. was there reason (and safe means) for these people to leave their jobs and go elsewhere. I don't know how anyone can make that conclusion without any knowledge of the people involved.

Phonedave

While I'm very glad everyone is safe, what we don't know is how many of them are locals and have family that WERE affected by the storm. For Disney to say “Our Crew Members are in their living quarters and are, of course, concerned about their families, friends and homes in the areas that have been significantly impacted . . .” basically means the corporation before your family.

Maybe they WERE offered to be evac'd and chose not to go. Don't know. But current info and logic tells me potentially otherwise, especially considering the above wording. For what it would have cost them (and not just the $$$), Disney scr_w_d the pooch on this one.

Just to play devils advocate here.

It is very possible to have family, friends, and home in the areas and not actually live there. A single person with no kids or significant other, who has an apartment in Alabama but has an aunt in Florida has family in the impacted area. Many people have friends in the impacted areas (I do) but I am not flying down there to help them. Heck the people on Castaway Cay may even live in Florida, as a single person. Given the choice of "you can return to your apartment, which may be destroyed, or you can stay in the bunker at Castaway Cay where there are plenty of emergency supplies" I would stay.

As I said, you may be right as well, I just don't think you can read to much into that statement.

KeithVH

Just to play devils advocate here.

It is very possible to have family, friends, and home in the areas and not actually live there. A single person with no kids or significant other, who has an apartment in Alabama but has an aunt in Florida has family in the impacted area. Many people have friends in the impacted areas (I do) but I am not flying down there to help them. Heck the people on Castaway Cay may even live in Florida, as a single person. Given the choice of "you can return to your apartment, which may be destroyed, or you can stay in the bunker at Castaway Cay where there are plenty of emergency supplies" I would stay.

As I said, you may be right as well, I just don't think you can read to much into that statement.

Very possible. Being a glass half empty person right now I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom