AP Simba magnets all gone at AK

Cmdr_Crimson

The person on eBay who has sold 40/50/60+ of the Simba magnets is making them themselves and selling them. The description says, “These are not park original magnets”.
giphy.gif

AndyS2992

Because they want you to come to the park.

The more you come the more you spend
It's a promotion to get people to go to the parks.

In addition to the visit required magnets for the past several years they have been mailing out one when you renew your pass.
Obviously but if you've spent hundreds, if not over a thousand dollars on an annual pass(es) you'd be going to the parks all the time anyway.

dreamfinder

*shrug* Why not? Amazon sells a 5pack of 8.5x11 magnet sheets for like $8. I figure you can fit 3 or 4 of these on a page. So that works out to what, 40 cents in materials? If you sell them for $5, pretty decent profit markup, even after fees. Stay at home mom/dad can easily make enough for a night at an All Stars if they can sell 50-60 of them. Better than holding yet another yard sale to pay for the next trip........ Other than that whole copyright infringement thing.

rodserling27

I wish they would sell these online or have some sort of AP online store. That would be cool.

The lines were insane all weekend for the Simba magnet (while the lines for actual attractions were not!). I did get the Minnie Mouse one over at Epcot, but some jerk stole it off of my car while I was at breakfast at the Contemporary. I would be happy to pay $5 or so to buy it online if they offered it...hey Disney, take my money!!!

Last edited:

JohnD

I don't know why other Passholders go crazy about them, either. I suspect it's so they can show off their conspicuous consumption to the peasants that can't afford passes.

I don't put mine on my car because they just get stolen, and I don't put them on the fridge because I had one that left a rust stain behind. The only reason I even bother is because I figure my money is going to pay for this "freebie" so I might as well. But as someone else said, they just go in a drawer.

It's a bummer, because I remember when they used to give out things like art prints, lanyards, etc instead of these things.

Yeah. They used to give out wine glasses and tumblers. Now it's magnets. Don't get me wrong. I like collecting them. I scheduled a last minute MLK weekend trip this year partially to get the Figment magnet. When I went over this Spring, I thought I was only going to get Daisy because that was the only one they they were giving out while I was there. It turns out they had many leftover Pluto magnets so I scored both Daisy and Pluto at Mouse Gear. I do keep them on my car at home. I have to confess, though, that I remove them at WDW. And I certainly don't put the ones I just got from a park immediately on my car while at WDW. Why should someone else be tempted to get them off my car when I had to enter a park to get them?

tissandtully

Honestly this is the first time I've heard of them running out of the magnets. You can usually get F&W magnets waaayy into the season. I feel like they really cheaped out this time. Also, the plan was to have people come to AK during the busy Labor Day holiday and most APs were coming to get their magnet and going somewhere else, lol. So that's probably another reason why.

tissandtully

Yeah. They used to give out wine glasses and tumblers. Now it's magnets. Don't get me wrong. I like collecting them. I scheduled a last minute MLK weekend trip this year partially to get the Figment magnet. When I went over the Spring, I thought I was only going to get Daisy because that was the timeframe they were only going to give that out. I scored both Daisy and Pluto at Mouse Gear. I do keep them on my car at home. I have to confess, though, that I remove them at WDW. And I certainly don't put the ones I just got from a park immediately on my car while at WDW. Why should someone else be tempted to get them off my car when I had to enter a park to get them?
I've definitely had magnets stolen from our car while parked at WDW. People are terrible. I take them off now after we park.

tissandtully

I’m just wondering how they got so many to sell on eBay. They always ask us to see our pass and ID when we pick them up which I assume is to make sure we only get one. Cast member gone to the Dark Side maybe?
Every pass holder gets one, so, a family of four prob has 2-3 extra magnets.

tissandtully

In our experience, only one came to a household with multiple passholders. Not sayin' that's the rule, but that's certainly our experience.
Ah, I'm speaking of specifically the other character magnets like Simba. The regular AP one, yes, one per household usually. Also some people don't even get those due to the messed up nature of Disney's mailing system.

bclane

In our experience, only one came to a household with multiple passholders. Not sayin' that's the rule, but that's certainly our experience.
One year we got like six or eight renewal magnets. We just kept getting that welcome back kit for whatever reason. Some kinda glitch I guess. Lately we’ve been getting one per person though. I feel like Mickey loves me more than you...which isn’t surprising all things considered. 😎😂

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
The magnets don't stick to our cars, we instead stick them to our metal trashcan which my toddler then rearranges every couple of days. We aren't also hardcore about collecting them either. If I'm in the park and I happen to remember if they are handing them out, I'll grab one, otherwise I'm not waiting in a line to get one. That being said, if I happened to be at DAK while they were giving them out I wouldn't have minded a Simba one :)

tissandtully

FWIW, the lines for these move really fast, the DAK line was switchbacked a few times and then around the gift shop and still only took 5 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom