News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

beertiki

$1,000,000 is a joke for a company that has made billions on Bahamas tourism. Just to show how small of an impact that is, if the 97 employees on Castaway Cay have lost houses, cars, personal property, or family's with injuries, it works out to $10,300 a person. You can't even get half a roof fixed with that. $1,000,000 is less than 25% of the stateroom revenue on just one cruise to the Bahamas.

For those that think cruise ships bring a large portion of the tourist money to the islands, they don't. Here in Key West, it was estimated to be less than 10%. When the chance to vote to spend money on widening our channel to allow for larger ships, it was defeated by a large margin.

We do enjoy going on cruises, but I will always spend my money at the local places, and not book my excursion on the ship where the cruise company takes a large cut of local businesses profit.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
$1,000,000 is a joke for a company that has made billions on Bahamas tourism. Just to show how small of an impact that is, if the 97 employees on Castaway Cay have lost houses, cars, personal property, or family's with injuries, it works out to $10,300 a person. You can't even get half a roof fixed with that. $1,000,000 is less than 25% of the stateroom revenue on just one cruise to the Bahamas.

For those that think cruise ships bring a large portion of the tourist money to the islands, they don't. Here in Key West, it was estimated to be less than 10%. When the chance to vote to spend money on widening our channel to allow for larger ships, it was defeated by a large margin.

We do enjoy going on cruises, but I will always spend my money at the local places, and not book my excursion on the ship where the cruise company takes a large cut of local businesses profit.
Feel better now?

Captain Barbossa

Not an official NHC update, but still a cat 2, winds have dropped to 105mph, still moving north-northwest but now at a speed of 8mph.

By looking at the radar, Dorian appears to be exactly between Daytona and Jacksonville. Not saying that FL is completely in the clear, but FL is extremely lucky. Very worried about how Dorian will impact us here in S.C. The models keep showing the storm getting closer and closer to making landfall here.

seascape

Disney will take care of their cast members. Two years ago when they closed the parks, they paid all their cast members for the hours they lost. As for their making billions off the Bahamas, you are grossly over estimating their profits from the Bahamas. They do make money as does every other cruise line. As for their charitable contributions, in 2016 it was 400 million dollars. Disney is a good neighbor and I am sure the Bahamas are happy Disney now has 2 Islands and provides jobs and tax revenue.

BoarderPhreak

I'm very happy this turned out to be a nothing event for Orlando. Its nice to finally breathe a sigh of relief after worrying about it for what feels like a week.
Called it! 😝

tribbleorlfl

Projected winds tonight of 20-25 mph with rain between 1 and 2 inches.
About 15 minutes after I posted this last night, one of the bands came through. I forgot to close the door to my outdoor worshop and could hear it banging around outside. Like an idiot, I went out to secure it and got blown down by a gust. I would not have been wanting to drive on I-4 or the 417 during that.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
About 15 minutes after I posted this last night, one of the bands came through. I forgot to close the door to my outdoor worshop and could hear it banging around outside. Like an idiot, I went out to secure it and got blown down by a gust. I would not have been wanting to drive on I-4 or the 417 during that.

Buried20KLeague

I am sure the Bahamas are happy Disney now has 2 Islands and provides jobs and tax revenue.

Lol. Is that why this is at least their second attempt to build a second port and why the local residents are having screaming matches at town halls? :rolleyes:

Just to post a couple of the many...

Not everyone wants a Mouse in their house.

A million dollars is nothing, and I assume it's just immediate money to help triage. I would expect them to donate more relatively soon. If they don't... It's laughable.

Bocabear

Lol. Is that why this is at least their second attempt to build a second port and why the local residents are having screaming matches at town halls? :rolleyes:

Just to post a couple of the many...

Not everyone wants a Mouse in their house.

A million dollars is nothing, and I assume it's just immediate money to help triage. I would expect them to donate more relatively soon. If they don't... It's laughable.
I think at this point they would be happy for anyone coming to the Bahamas and building...adding jobs and infrastructure is a plus in any scenario...

Bocabear

Well sure, that's understandable NOW. I'm simply making the point that not all Bahamians have been throwing a party every time they hear a cruise ship sound "when you wish upon a star".
That is true! We have a place in Key West, and most of the locals don't care for the cruise ship crowds...Some appreciate the business I am sure...but the island was successful and popular without the Cruise Ship visitors.
What Disney is building in the Bahamas will not affect the populated islands...except by adding jobs to the area.

beertiki

That is true! We have a place in Key West, and most of the locals don't care for the cruise ship crowds...Some appreciate the business I am sure...but the island was successful and popular without the Cruise Ship visitors.
What Disney is building in the Bahamas will not affect the populated islands...except by adding jobs to the area.

Most local businesses do not benefit. Cruise lines set up their own businesses - jet ski tours, snorkel boats, bus tours, ECT. Those cruise owned businesses are sold on the ship, the non cruise owned have to pay a percentage of their sales to the cruise ship to be advertised. Now all the cruise lines have private islands, there are no local bars and restaurants, no local fishing charters, just a few locals working low paying jobs.

We do enjoy cruises, they really do make for a nice vacation. How do I justify the conflict inside me about how they affect local businesses and treat their employees? I tip really well, I tip early. When the bar is 4 people deep and you see the bartender hand me a beer over your head, it's cause he got $20 cash yesterday, and the day before. We go to Atlantis later this month. I will be tipping heavy, you never know if the cab driver has family that is now living under a tarp. An extra $20 can really help some people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom