News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

prberk

I will be docking at Nassau 3 weeks from today and Castaway Cay 3 weeks from tomorrow...maybe. I'm apprehensive about what we'll see. Less concerned about impacts on my itinerary. More concerned about the residents of the Bahamas. They've been through hell.

If DCL decided to take the Dream offline for a few days whenever it's able to return to Port Canaveral and send it to the Bahamas to help in the rescue and recovery, even if it impacts my cruise, I will applaud them. And donate what I can to aid that recovery.
That's the response I would expect from any reasonable person. Life is simply too short.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The news today for the U.S. is much better than yesterday. It is down to a Category 3 and weakening. It should be a Category 2 by the 11AM update. That said it is still a strong storm but not the killer a 5 would have been. Those on the shore need to be concerned about flooding and some power outages but if everyone listens and follows EMS recommendations no one should be hurt.

My prayers still go out to the people of the Bahamas. They suffered tremendously from Dorian and need our help. Please make generous contributions to those in need.
Actually...the wind speed doesn’t directly correlate to the storm surges...and that is the destructive potential in a hurricane more than flying cows.

Water moving at 1 mph has the destructive capability of wind moving at 150 mph

The things Sandy taught me I never wanted to know 😎

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That's the response I would expect from any reasonable person. Life is simply too short.

I've been through a minor version of hell - called Hermine and Michael. Minor damage and inconvenience. I can't imagine what it's like to see the island you live on destroyed.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Actually...the wind speed doesn’t directly correlate to the storm surges...and that is the destructive potential in a hurricane more than flying cows.

Water moving at 1 mph has the destructive capability of wind moving at 150 mph

The things Sandy taught me I never wanted to know 😎

That's the fear we Floridians in the Panhandle have. A storm like Dorian hitting Apalachicola Bay at high tide and pushing all that water inland. The Bay is shallow.

BoarderPhreak

Flying what now?

twister-cow.png

LSLS

I will be docking at Nassau 3 weeks from today and Castaway Cay 3 weeks from tomorrow...maybe. I'm apprehensive about what we'll see. Less concerned about impacts on my itinerary. More concerned about the residents of the Bahamas. They've been through hell.

If DCL decided to take the Dream offline for a few days whenever it's able to return to Port Canaveral and send it to the Bahamas to help in the rescue and recovery, even if it impacts my cruise, I will applaud them. And donate what I can to aid that recovery.

I'll be on the Fantasy Saturday. I would be bummed to miss out, but I would survive, and certainly wouldn't be mad at Disney at all. Or course it's possible it could be too treacherous to get close to those islands anyways.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'll be on the Fantasy Saturday. I would be bummed to miss out, but I would survive, and certainly wouldn't be mad at Disney at all. Or course it's possible it could be too treacherous to get close to those islands anyways.

I would be disappointed. But compared to what Bahamians have gone through.....

John park hopper

Anyone who has no experienced with storm surge you can not begin to imagine what it is like. The sea water rises quickly brings with it all sorts of debris as well as sand, mud, sewage etc. you name it. Hate to keep bring up Hugo storm surge of 17' we had 5 feet of seawater along with pluff mud (anyone on the SE coast knows pluff mud) which got in behind the wet sheetrock. Had to spread lime on the ground because of sewage tanks overflowed. The Bahamians are in for a rough time after Dorian finally leaves and will need a lot of help.

Nubs70

Never said they were responsible, but imagine this, you're staying at Disney and supposed to check out, but your flight is cancelled. If you go to the front desk and say, "I was supposed to check out today but our flight has been cancelled due to the hurricane, could you help me find a room?" They will help you find a room either at the same resort or on property. I spoke with the Boardwalk manager about this on Saturday. It's good business for them. People who think otherwise are foolish. The members here who think it was implied that Disney or Delta are under obligation are obtuse and have low reading comprehension levels, or they're just trolls.
Years back, a hurricane was running up the east coast. An individual I met and had coffee with in the morning had a somewhat similar situation but was set to drive back to NYC.

Seeing 1-95 Could be shut and.every one would head for I-85, I suggested he look i into staying an additional day while the situation became clearer. He inquired at the front desk and was accommodated without hesitation.

starri42

From the news alert, even while weakening, it's gotten bigger.

I grew up in coastal VA, so I'm not unfamiliar with hurricanes, although I'm clearly not the expert our Floridians are. I can't ever remember a storm acting anything like this.

Da Bird is Da Word

I’m so confused right now, trying to figure out what this hurricane is doing. I want to drive to Orlando today or later in the evening to be there for my AKL booking that starts tomorrow. I’m driving though, and the route my GPS recommends is scary, especially where it takes me right up to Daytona beach...

Attachments

• 576109B8-960F-487F-9AE4-1D5FE6798815.jpeg
    576109B8-960F-487F-9AE4-1D5FE6798815.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 68

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom