News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I know. That is terribly sad.

I know they likely will say that they can't do it, but wouldn't it be nice if one of those cruising cities from Disney or Royal Caribbean or the others takes a week off (reschedule someone's Bahamas cruise) and instead takes the ship down to the Bahamas when the storm is over and becomes a temporary shelter for at least a week while those who lost everything begin to pick up the pieces? They would be "giving back" to a community that normally provides them a great attraction for tourist stops.

Agree 1000 percent. If not to temporarily shelter people who most likely have lost everything, at least bring supplies of food, water and other needed items.

The Royal Navy is sending a ship to the Bahamas to help with recovery.

Timmay

According to The National Hurricane Center web site (NOAA) the storm in the Gulf is moving west and will go into Mexico. The storm coming off Africa is the next one to worry about.
Yep. Looks like the formation of a depression later today, but that wave behind it right off the western coast of Africa looks to have a good chance of forming up into something. Initially, the track for the wave looks concerning, but it’s early still.

Nubs70

I know. That is terribly sad.

I know they likely will say that they can't do it, but wouldn't it be nice if one of those cruising cities from Disney or Royal Caribbean or the others takes a week off (reschedule someone's Bahamas cruise) and instead takes the ship down to the Bahamas when the storm is over and becomes a temporary shelter for at least a week while those who lost everything begin to pick up the pieces? They would be "giving back" to a community that normally provides them a great attraction for tourist stops.
You pay the airfare for a family of 4 and put them up in you.houae for a week too. That would also be a great way to give back.

WDW862

update from TBO

The tropics early Tuesday appear a shell game of convection.

A total of five areas, including the category 3 Hurricane Dorian, are being monitored across the Atlantic, with most headed in different directions.

Welcome to peak season

BoarderPhreak

Grand Bahama island... After (top) and before (bottom). As you can see, most of it's underwater. 😥

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 9.18.30 AM.png

BoarderPhreak

About 91% of flights out of and into Orlando International Airport have been canceled: That's 356 flights out of and 348 flights into the airport.

Another 166 flights out of and 119 flights into Fort Lauderdale International Airport have been canceled.

JohnD

Seen earlier... 😆

"This is the worst hurricane ever! We’ve been waiting for it to arrive for like a month now!

First, we were told its nothing to worry about, then they said pay attention as it could be something. Then we were told it’s coming, not coming, could be coming, probably coming, definitely coming, not coming, small chance it’s coming, it shifted, shifted back, shifted again, it’s totally coming, not coming....and then they said we just don’t know.

We were told to evacuate, don’t evacuate. Your gonna flood, might get some rain, might not get any rain, you might get nothing. We just don’t know.

It’s a tropical storm, cat 1, cat 2, cat 3, cat 4, cat 5 and now it’s a turbo cat 5 and the biggest storm ever.

You’re in the cone but don’t worry, you’re out of cone but still worry, we moved the cone, if your in the cone you could be out of the cone, if your out of the cone you could be in the cone. We just don’t know.

It’ll strike South Florida, Central Florida, Gulf Coast, North Coast, West Coast, South cCoast, North Florida, South Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina...it might eventually destroy icebergs in Greenland and kill 4-leaf clovers in Ireland. We just don’t know

You might just get a breeze or it might blow your house off it’s foundation. It might not, but could, maybe, probably, small chance, big chance, little chance. We just don’t know.

We’ll know more on Friday, definitely know more on Saturday, for sure on Sunday, by Monday we will totally know, maybe Tuesday but definitely have answers on Wednesday. We don’t know when we will know.

I’ve eaten enough hurricane snacks and gained so much weight that I might just end up strapping my house to myself to secure it and wait for Dorian.”

Katiebug?

JohnD

The one in the Gulf is the one I'm keeping an eye on.

I'm headed for Amelia Island at the end of the week. The beach will probably be torn up from Dorian but I don't care. Sea breeze, the sound of waves, and doing nothing for a whole week. Bliss. As an added bonus, hopefully nothing comes up the Gulf, but if it does, I'm out of the way. But that other storm forming off the coast of Africa. Sigh. Will have to keep an eye on that one.

prberk

You pay the airfare for a family of 4 and put them up in you.houae for a week too. That would also be a great way to give back.

That is a ridiculous comment. What I was talking about is something that is possible -- positioning a moving hotel that is essentially a city at sea that is built to take on passengers to a place that it normally visits with a port where it is familiar but that is now completely devastated with an urgent local need, to provide temporary housing while they spend the day recouping and while shelters or other options can be put up.

And you come with some smart-aleck comment like flying people up (who have no airport that would work), stripping them away from the place so that could not spend the day cleaning up and or work on a permanent solution.

I am more than happy to give money for help, and my church organization (the Baptist associations) has emergency response crews and equipment (showers, kitchens, mud-out teams) that we already have ready for responses on the continent and send regularly. And I help with rebuilds through a team called Impact Virginia.

But the Bahamas are a special situation because of the location. People will need to rebuild and need to stay there to do that, but now they need shelter and food there first -- something these boats could help with much more efficiently than "flying a family to my house" could do with your smug comment.

There would likely be logistics to work out in my suggestion, and there could be practical reasons that it would not work, but it was an idea that was not smug and facetious like yours. It is meant to be an idea to respond in an extraordinary way to an extraordinary need.

It was not meant to be any different than the "thinking practically yet outside of the box" that is done when Disney moves the folks that are camping at Fort Wilderness to a hotel, or when they have given out mattresses to those affected by the hurricane (as they did in years past). Or other hotels take in evacuees. Or people take in pets. Or like the celebrity chefs that went in the Puerto Rico after that hurricane to set up feeding tents and brought their own people and equipment.

People have had catastrophic devastation on an island, and if a cruise ship can be sent with all of the practical aspects and the capacity of a huge temporary hotel, with showers, kitchen, food, and staff at the ready, for just a short time -- then, yes, I would recommend it. Feed and shower a thousand at their own place right now, or wait for the airport to be up and running to fly one family away from home to my place for the week? You tell me which might actually be practical.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member

Did you not see video of the airport? It's under 5 feet of water. It would take DAYS, if not weeks, for the infrastructure to be rebuilt so that commercial flights can resume. A floating hotel with the capacity to house and feed 4000 is better than flying a family of 4. In addition, those ships can carry tons of needed materials to rebuild.

Actually I didn't ask if anyone would pay for the hotel. I asked if Disney would help us find a room if Delta cancelled our flight. I didn't mean to imply that anyone needed to pay for the room except me.
My question would be why would Disney be held accountable to help find a room for a cancelled flight? Delta is not there responsibly nor is any other Airline. The only way I can remotely even slightly think they would have some barring on that if it was a package with flight you had booked. They might but I wouldn't personally expect them to.

LSLS

Did you not see video of the airport? It's under 5 feet of water. It would take DAYS, if not weeks, for the infrastructure to be rebuilt so that commercial flights can resume. A floating hotel with the capacity to house and feed 4000 is better than flying a family of 4. In addition, those ships can carry tons of needed materials to rebuild.

Not to mention, it's happened before. It's harder for Disney who only have a few ships, but Royal Caribbean and Norwegian sent ships to help out with Irma. Guy is just looking to troll.

durangojim

My question would be why would Disney be held accountable to help find a room for a cancelled flight? Delta is not there responsibly nor is any other Airline. The only way I can remotely even slightly think they would have some barring on that if it was a package with flight you had booked. They might but I wouldn't personally expect them to.
Never said they were responsible, but imagine this, you're staying at Disney and supposed to check out, but your flight is cancelled. If you go to the front desk and say, "I was supposed to check out today but our flight has been cancelled due to the hurricane, could you help me find a room?" They will help you find a room either at the same resort or on property. I spoke with the Boardwalk manager about this on Saturday. It's good business for them. People who think otherwise are foolish. The members here who think it was implied that Disney or Delta are under obligation are obtuse and have low reading comprehension levels, or they're just trolls.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Not to mention, it's happened before. It's harder for Disney who only have a few ships, but Royal Caribbean and Norwegian sent ships to help out with Irma. Guy is just looking to troll.

I will be docking at Nassau 3 weeks from today and Castaway Cay 3 weeks from tomorrow...maybe. I'm apprehensive about what we'll see. Less concerned about impacts on my itinerary. More concerned about the residents of the Bahamas. They've been through hell.

If DCL decided to take the Dream offline for a few days whenever it's able to return to Port Canaveral and send it to the Bahamas to help in the rescue and recovery, even if it impacts my cruise, I will applaud them. And donate what I can to aid that recovery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom