Trip Report **COMPLETED** It's My Mom's Birthday and We Will Stay DVC If We Want To

Hello everyone!
We just got back from the World on Saturday night so it's time to start my Trip Report!

Who?
My Mom (Mary) and myself Megan
IMG_2148.JPG

Where?
The Beach Club Villas! It was our first DVC stay (hence the title) and we loved it!
DSC_0016.JPG

When?
August 9-17, 2019

Why?
Also as the title indicates it was my Mom's Birthday!

Day 1 August 9, 2019
We stayed at a hotel across from the airport the night before since our flight was pretty early and it was cheaper than parking my car at the airport. Plus it was Southwest Points :) So, we got ourselves out of bed at 3:30 am 😴
I completely forgot I said I would make the sign we usually use for our trip so I grabbed some computer paper from the hotel printers and my Mom made a makeshift one :joyfull:
DSC_0059.JPG

Could not keep my eyes open so we ended up with this one :joyfull:
DSC_0061.JPG

The hotel said that they would have to put us in a taxi because their shuttle did not run between midnight and 5 am. I was worried about getting all of our luggage into a taxi but when we went up to the desk around 4 am they had the shuttle ready. Hooray!
The Southwest Counter was not open when we got to the airport but it opened within a few minutes. Our luggage was checked and TSA precheck was open so we made it through security very quickly.
We stopped for our usual breakfast of bagels but they only had one so we got a bagel and a croissant
DSC_0064.JPG

The croissant was not very good but we were good with just the bagel :)
We headed to our gate and the therapy dog Jake was there! He usually does not start until 9 am but his owner knew a family flying to Disney so he brought him in. Of course I had to get a picture
dI++uGtxSXiUH5Gv2wscRg.jpg

Waiting to board our plane
yNvQ3LcUReeUH6s+rVXDvw.jpg

We boarded the plane super fast! We were in row 2!
PgPpQLOnTN22lwvax5LYVA.jpg

Gang is all here
otPvqHLbQjGsKMsG3V0+Lw.jpg

Magic Bands!
dtCjmYi1QFqJAe23vDbsUw.jpg

The entire plane was boarded by 5:55 except 2 passengers - so we were 15 minutes ahead of schedule except that we had to wait for them for about 10 minutes. It was a bit annoying and we ended up leaving a little late.

Next up: more traveling

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 August 14, 2019 - My Mom's Birthday
Woohoo! It was finally my Mom's Birthday!
We got up around 7 and got ready
DSC_0376.JPG

We headed down to the bus stop and it was PACKED! We had a breakfast reservation so we decided to just treat ourselves to a Minnie Van since its much faster :)
DSC_0378.JPG

IMG_5537.JPG

Our driver indicated that there might be an announcement about the monorails at D23 but clearly that did not happen :(
It was super cool to see the progression of Halloween stuff going up and this day the big pumpkin out front was up!
DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0381.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

IMG_5581.JPG

Oh hey pumpkins
DSC_0383.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5579.JPG

Next up: more MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 continued
We picked up this reservation the night before :)
I love this room with all the natural light !
IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG

My Mom got the Mickey Waffles (Three Mickey Waffles topped with Mickey Sprinkles on a spread of tasty - their words not mine :hilarious:Banana Pastry served with Bacon, Sausage, and a side of Fruit)
IMG_5549.JPG

And I got the create your own omelet with bacon and cheese and a side of breakfast potatoes and a biscuit
IMG_5550.JPG

Yum! Everything was delicious !
We tried to go on HM after breakfast but it was closed and the CM literally told us not to wait because it was going to be a long while so we headed to IASW instead
IMG_5552.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

Then we headed on the Carrousel
DSC_0409.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5558.JPG

Next up: more MK

slipperalwaysfits

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR MOM!!!!!!!! All the Halloween decorations are so fun! It's fun to see Disney magically morph the seasons. I love the giant pumpkins on Main Street! I've never eaten at the Plaza, I'm glad it has a good breakfast review, I'm sure that will come in handy for us someday. :jawdrop:😉

The balloons for your mom are so cute. I bet the carousel was fun! Another must-do for me at Disney. (Though I haven't done it yet!):geek:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
As much as I love Christmas and Christmas decorations, I have to be honest: I prefer the Halloween decorations at a Disney park because the colors show up so nicely in photos.

I think I agree with you....I go back and forth about that all the time!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR MOM!!!!!!!! All the Halloween decorations are so fun! It's fun to see Disney magically morph the seasons. I love the giant pumpkins on Main Street! I've never eaten at the Plaza, I'm glad it has a good breakfast review, I'm sure that will come in handy for us someday. :jawdrop:😉

The balloons for your mom are so cute. I bet the carousel was fun! Another must-do for me at Disney. (Though I haven't done it yet!):geek:

Thanks! We really like the Plaza for both breakfast and dinner :)
Aw the carrousel is so fun!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 continued
Our last FP was for Splash Mt so we headed over there. I like doing Splash in the summer when you dry off immediately :joyfull::hilarious:
I was very nervous we were not going to make it on because there was an announcement over and over again that there was lightening in the area. Also...it was a super slow slow pass :) But...we made it on!
DSC_0441.JPG

495618682.jpeg

After our ride we decided to head out
Some Halloween decorations along the way
DSC_0443.JPG
DSC_0444.JPG

My Mom wanted this photo because she said it was a celebration for her Birthday :)
DSC_0448.JPG

DSC_0449.JPG

Back at the Beach Club we decided we should eat some lunch. We weren't starving so we decided just to share something. We could not decide what we wanted, but we ended up at Hurricane Hanna's.
We decided to share the Buffalo Chicken Wrap
IMG_5585.JPG

The French fries were delicious but the wrap was :hungover::hungover:
I think it was because it was cold which we wrongly assumed it was going to be warm chicken. Ugh the chicken was so chewy and gross. Oh well - it was the one bad meal we had!
Then it was pool time!
My Mom decided to brave the lazy man river. She again had such a hard time but we literally could not stop laughing about it which probably made it even worse
DSCF2711.JPG

DSCF2712.JPG

DSCF2715.JPG

Next up: more pool time

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 continued
At one point I was laughing so hard I think the lifeguard thought I was having a hard time actually swimming/breathing :p
fullsizeoutput_3c65.jpeg

Here is my Mom jumping ship :joyfull:
DSCF2718.JPG

The sky looked very ominous so we ended up getting out and the pool closed just about a minute later.
DSCF2722.JPG

It only looked ominous in one direction though :hilarious:
IMG_5586.JPG

Since we did not eat a lot of our lunch we figured we should get some ice cream at Beaches and Cream :)
My Mom got Butter Pecan and I got Mint YUM! We liked this ice cream better than Ample Hills
IMG_5588.JPG

file-154.jpg

After our ice cream we relaxed in the room a bit because it was pretty rainy. This was the day we got the most rain which was nerve wracking because I had an outdoor surprise planned for my Mom later.
We got a knock on the door and my Mom got another Birthday surprise!
IMG_5589.JPG

My sister Jill sent her some toasting glasses and champagne !
IMG_5590.JPG

We still had a lot of time before we needed to leave for dinner, but the main pool was closed. So, we took our chances and went swimming in the quiet pool. It was pouring but it was so much fun!!!! We did stop swimming once we saw lightening though :hilarious:
After our swim we got dressed for dinner. I made my Mom do a photoshoot with her balloons :)
IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5596.JPG

Next up: more randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 continued
IMG_5598.JPG

IMG_5602.JPG

IMG_5608.JPG

We finally headed outside so we could head to dinner. It was still pouring and so we ended up taking a Minnie Van to reduce the amount of time we would be outside in the rain in our nice clothes.
My Mom wanted me to take a photo with this car because she thinks it looks like an old fashioned Tow Mater :)
IMG_5613.JPG

Since we took a Minnie Van we were a bit early for dinner so we hung out in the lobby in the Contemporary
Cool light for you..
DSC_0459.JPG

Our dinner spot was California Grill! It had been a bit of time since we last ate here so we were excited :)
We checked in and headed up the elevator !
IMG_5618.JPG

We were seated very quickly :)
Nice view of the water :) We like this back room - its very quiet!
IMG_5619.JPG

IMG_5620.JPG

IMG_5623.JPG

Next up: CG continued

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 continued
The confetti was back! There was a brief time where they stopped putting confetti on the table :)
IMG_5625.JPG

There was literally no one else in the room except us for awhile :)
IMG_5626.JPG

I was trying so hard not to stress about the weather. I could see the Contemporary pool from our window and I saw it reopen so I relaxed a bit.
IMG_5627.JPG

We both decided to have a blueberry lemon drop martini
IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

It's my go to drink at California Grill...so good!
Our waiter was super nice. He really took his time which I liked - sometimes I feel like you can get rushed through dinner but we moved along at a very relaxed pace.
Bread to start
IMG_5632.JPG

And the oil that we did not eat :hilarious: We asked for butter instead :)
IMG_5634.JPG

Next up: more CG

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 continued
We hesitated about ordering the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli. We love it but we almost always get a stomachache after eating at the California Grill and there was a time we thought the ravioli was the cause. Well..we ordered it and I am happy to report no CG stomachache this trip :hilarious:
IMG_5635.JPG

My knife accidentally collected some confetti 😂
IMG_5636.JPG

For entrees:
I ordered the Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Crispy Burbank Potatoes, Bravas Sauce, Herb Aïoli, Heirloom Tomatoes, Tomato Butter
IMG_5639.JPG

My Mom debated about getting the pizza because she really likes it but we thought maybe that was the cause of the stomachache. So, she went with the chicken since it changed since she last ordered it.
Green Circle Mole Chicken with Blue Corn Tamale Cake, Baby Squash, Jicama Ribbons, Mango, Avocado, Prickly Pear Chamoy
IMG_5641.JPG

Yum! We both really enjoyed our entrees and the changes from previous versions of the dishes. My Mom was especially happy she went with the chicken.
We declined dessert (because I told my Mom no dessert because I had something planned) but she still got some cake for her Birthday :)
IMG_5642.JPG

Our waiter kindly took a photo for us
IMG_5644.JPG

IMG_5649.JPG

We had a great dinner as usual ! Can not wait to get back someday !
We had a bit of time to kill before my Mom's surprise so we spent some time hanging around the Contemporary. I made my sister FaceTime us because I was so nervous 😬
After awhile we headed outside and I was finally able to tell my Mom what the surprise was (because she kept asking!).
I surprised her with a fireworks cruise!!
DSC_0470.JPG

DSC_0471.JPG

She was SO surprised and excited! She did not even know these existed. I really only knew thanks to @blreinsel and the DVC website :)

Next up: more boat !

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 continued
DSC_0472.JPG

DSC_0473.JPG

There were tons of snacks which we did not eat because we were so full from dinner.
DSC_0474.JPG

We did take them with us when we left the boat though because they provide you with a bag to take them.
There was also a cooler with water and pop in it too. We did take 2 bottles of water.
I also surprised my Mom with a cake! I literally had such a hard time getting ahold of the cake people so when I finally ordered it it was between patients and I could not remember what I even ordered :joyfull::joyfull:
It was chocolate cake with whipped cream frosting and it was delicious !!!!!
IMG_5653.JPG

IMG_5654.JPG

Our boat captain's name was Courtney and she was fantastic. I was nervous it was going to be awkward since there were only two of us but she made us feel very comfortable and we all became fast friends discussing all things Disney and Sponge Bob :) I also awkwardly forgot about bringing money for her tip and I had most of what I needed but needed to borrow a little from my Mom :in pain: Whoops...HBD Mom :facepalm::joyfull:
Some photos from our boat tour around FW, WL, Poly, TTC and GF
DSC_0478.JPG

DSC_0480.JPG

DSC_0481.JPG

We chatted a bit about River Country and Discovery Island. Obviously River Country is now being torn down. Some of Discovery Island is still there and this photo below is from the boat dock. She mentioned that Discovery Island in AK is named after this Discovery Island and my Mom and I were like...oh duh we never connected that :joyfull::joyfull:
DSC_0482.JPG

DSC_0485.JPG

Next up: more boat

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 continued
IMG_5682.JPG

IMG_5687.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

DSC_0509.JPG

DSC_0510.JPG

We also got to watch the Electrical Water Pageant from the boat which I was thrilled with. I LOVE the EWP :)
IMG_5695.JPG

DSC_0521.JPG

DSC_0523.JPG

Sadly our boat time came to an end. My Mom and I both said we need to do it again because it went by SO fast and we feel like we don't even remember it that well :hilarious:
It was 100% worth it and we really lucked out with the rain/storm stopping because I know @blreinsel did not have the same luck!
Anyway, we were delusional and exhausted so took another Minnie Van home :joyfull: The CM driving was like hey is this your first Minnie Van and we were both like no....it's our 3rd today :facepalm::joyfull:
She still made us take a photo though.
file-155.jpg

Overall my Mom said it was her best Birthday ever :)

Next up: Day 7

Rista1313

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom