RUMOR!-Fantasmic! to recieve updates or be replaced by 2020.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They seem to have decided that DHS's entertainment is fine as-is. Such a shame. And now we are at the point where any show updates will have to happen after SWL is open, which is just silly. I think what is more likely is crazy crowding leading to a new expansion getting approved.
Are they still looking at a replacement or modification to SW:AGS?

ObscurityPoint

Is any F! updates out of the question for 2021? Even minor changes like new fountains and projections?
I have such a love for this show that it’s starting to disappoint me that it hasn’t yet been updated at Wdw. For a growing, expanding park like DHS, an incredible nighttime show is needed.

Projection updates and fountains won’t cut it. If I were them I’d just change the format to fit Disneyland or Tokyo’s current version. Scrapping the pirate ship/pocahontas segment for a Moana, Aladdin, or Frozen addition. Also remove the additional villains. Just give us something that includes a new dragon.

gerarar

Premium Member
I have such a love for this show that it’s starting to disappoint me that it hasn’t yet been updated at Wdw. For a growing, expanding park like DHS, an incredible nighttime show is needed.

Projection updates and fountains won’t cut it. If I were them I’d just change the format to fit Disneyland or Tokyo’s current version. Scrapping the pirate ship/pocahontas segment for a Moana, Aladdin, or Frozen addition. Also remove the additional villains. Just give us something that includes a new dragon.
New colorful lasers were added sometime in 2017 I believe, and projections were updated from the old ones fairly recently also. The only thing left to update on the technical side is the fountains imo.

I agree with adding a Moana segment, would really work well with the mountain!!

And I'd argue that all the different villians in the show makes it better. DL's just seems lacking with its 3 or 4 villians they only have now. WDW's does seem to drag on during the villians segment, so maybe speed up the transitions or something?

Also we need a new dragon!!

SteamboatJoe

New colorful lasers were added sometime in 2017 I believe, and projections were updated from the old ones fairly recently also. The only thing left to update on the technical side is the fountains imo.

I agree with adding a Moana segment, would really work well with the mountain!!

And I'd argue that all the different villians in the show makes it better. DL's just seems lacking with its 3 or 4 villians they only have now. WDW's does seem to drag on during the villians segment, so maybe speed up the transitions or something?

Also we need a new dragon!!
A big, shiny glow in the dark Tamatoa would look really cool, especially if they could get him to rise out of the water.

ObscurityPoint

A big, shiny glow in the dark Tamatoa would look really cool, especially if they could get him to rise out of the water.
All they would have to do is have his puppet head poke out of where the dragon is now and make the mountain his shell using projection tech while Moana and Mickey run around on stage. They could drain the river for construction and install a dragon like disneyland’s that rises out of the stage rather than the crane in the mountain.

Disone

All they would have to do is have his puppet head poke out of where the dragon is now and make the mountain his shell using projection tech while Moana and Mickey run around on stage. They could drain the river for construction and install a dragon like disneyland’s that rises out of the stage rather than the crane in the mountain.
Redesign the mountain to reveal chernabog. Not as a projection but as a gaint physical effect. Simular but on a larger scale as the Spectro magic float. He spreads his wings and also lights the water on fire.

Last edited:

Kman101

The show definitely deserves some significant upgrades. I'd rather not see it replaced, just further upgraded and improved upon. I love the Pocahontas representation but they could do other things there. Move her to whenever they do Rivers of Light 3.0: We Are Still Relying on IP and she can be on one of the boats. See character integration, the current trend. And would tie in with Reflections, an IP resort ;)

gerarar

Premium Member
I can't imagine Disney ditching Fantasmic! for some lower-capacity attraction.

The amphitheatre pulls thousands of people each night for a nighttime spectacular. Whatever SW show is at the Chinese Theater sure can't accommodate everyone from F! at once.

Therefore, I hope we get an upgrade, rather then a replacement as rumored before. It's such an iconic show with an amazing score that makes people and children smile each night..

seascape

I can't imagine Disney ditching Fantasmic! for some lower-capacity attraction.

The amphitheatre pulls thousands of people each night for a nighttime spectacular. Whatever SW show is at the Chinese Theater sure can't accommodate everyone from F! at once.

Therefore, I hope we get an upgrade, rather then a replacement as rumored before. It's such an iconic show with an amazing score that makes people and children smile each night..
They not only need to update Fantasmic but find a daytime show that can be put on there. No matter what some people here with Hollywood Studios is going to need tons more capacity because it will be the number 2 park in Orlando for the foreseeable future.

Jon81uk

They not only need to update Fantasmic but find a daytime show that can be put on there. No matter what some people here with Hollywood Studios is going to need tons more capacity because it will be the number 2 park in Orlando for the foreseeable future.

Daytime show will not happen in the Fantasmic arena. There isn’t any shade from the sun and too much of the mountain relays on the cover of darkness to hide things.
They would be better to replace the existing shows as DHS has plenty of shows and theatre spaces, just the content is old.

DoleWhipDrea

Tonight I saw HS’s Fantasmic! for the first time. I grew up in Southern California, so I’m *very* familiar with Disneyland’s version of Fantasmic!

It was...weird. As someone who’s directed stage shows, I was squirming in my seat and wanting to make some serious edits and updates. This outdoor venue was built specifically for the show, and yet there are so many missed opportunities. Even a modest budget to tweak the show could make a world of a difference.

Tonight the show was definitely not at capacity when we went to see the 10 pm showing. I was delighted to be able to just walk in and grab a seat (with tons of space) 15 minutes before the show.

Knowing what Fantasmic! can be and knowing what that venue could support...I was disappointed to see the state that the show is in. Fantasmic! could easily be a crown jewel. She deserves some TLC.

ObscurityPoint

Tonight I saw HS’s Fantasmic! for the first time. I grew up in Southern California, so I’m *very* familiar with Disneyland’s version of Fantasmic!

It was...weird. As someone who’s directed stage shows, I was squirming in my seat and wanting to make some serious edits and updates. This outdoor venue was built specifically for the show, and yet there are so many missed opportunities. Even a modest budget to tweak the show could make a world of a difference.

Tonight the show was definitely not at capacity when we went to see the 10 pm showing. I was delighted to be able to just walk in and grab a seat (with tons of space) 15 minutes before the show.

Knowing what Fantasmic! can be and knowing what that venue could support...I was disappointed to see the state that the show is in. Fantasmic! could easily be a crown jewel. She deserves some TLC.
So true, but TLC doesn’t involve Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars, Frozen, Marvel, or Incredibles so it looks like it’ll continue to rot for a while.
Did I mention Disney likes Star Wars?

trainplane3

Yep. I watched it about 15 years ago and then once again 3 years ago. Both times ended with me and a parent walking out with 10 minutes left because it just wasn't good. And that was before I saw what DL's was. For a purpose built stage I expected more and still do.

gerarar

Premium Member
We see it every year and I have no idea why some see it as a terrible show or in a bad condition? I miss the spinning fireworks from the ship but it hardly ruins my evening or anything like that. Perhaps we're just easily pleased?
The spinning fireworks are still there. If they aren't present, it's probs due to wind conditions and such, same reason if the characters don't have their ribbons for the night and instead wave.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom