Disney World guests file lawsuit after allegedly eating bug-infested food

HansGruber

There's too much analyzing going on here. The bug accusation simply adds to the idea that the food was dirty or ill-prepared. It also causes a PR-nightmare for Disney. And it's just that, an accusation. The more accusations, the better chance the plaintiffs have of getting something.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Regardless if whether the people filing the lawsuit are telling the truth (personally there's not enough evidence to sway me either way), I think it's a little odd people are defending Disney because other countries eat bug regularly and it's not a big deal, or the bugs aren't toxic so it wouldn't make them sick. If bugs aren't supposed to be in my food, I don't want them in my food. Even if they won't poison me, I don't want them there. If these people really did have bugs on their salad because if some negligence on the company's part, "Well, they wouldn't kill you!" is not a good excuse.

Again, I'm personally not leaning either way when it comes to if they're lying or telling the truth.
I don’t think people are arguing it’s OK for the bugs to be in the food. The obvious attempt at a money grab is the issue.

My wife one time got what we are pretty sure was a cigarette butt in her chicken sandwich at a TGI Friday’s. There’s an outside shot it was a piece of cotton used for packaging or something, she chooses to believe that because it’s less gross but that’s really just wishful thinking. It was the filter of a cigarette. They took the plate away as fast as possible and didn’t make us pay for the meal plus gave us some coupons for free appetizers. No $15K payout. I am sure what’s reasonable compensation for eating part of a cigarette or some tiny bugs can be debated but it realistically has to be way less than $15K and probably should be a bit more than a comped meal and some app coupons. Since it was already a free buffet they couldn’t comp the food, but they could have maybe given them a bit off their room bill or some FP reservations and called it a day.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs

Shouldigo12

I don’t think people are arguing it’s OK for the bugs to be in the food. The obvious attempt at a money grab is the issue.

My wife one time got what we are pretty sure was a cigarette butt in her chicken sandwich at a TGI Friday’s. There’s an outside shot it was a piece of cotton used for packaging or something, she chooses to believe that because it’s less gross but that’s really just wishful thinking. It was the filter of a cigarette. They took the plate away as fast as possible and didn’t make us pay for the meal plus gave us some coupons for free appetizers. No $15K payout. I am sure what’s reasonable compensation for eating part of a cigarette or some tiny bugs can be debated but it realistically has to be way less than $15K and probably should be a bit more than a comped meal and some app coupons. Since it was already a free buffet they couldn’t comp the food, but they could have maybe given them a bit off their room bill or some FP reservations and called it a day.
Oh, I agree with that. This isn't something worth a lawsuit, any more than me, say, getting a burger with bacon on it when there wasn't supposed to be is worth a lawsuit.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

When I was in college we were at Dayton Beach for Spring Break (that's how long ago it was, Daytona was where you went on Spring Break). We had splurged for a meal at the IHOP (as opposed to eating free food at the clubs). I had the Fried Shrimp Platter - something like a dozen fried shrimp, I had eaten about 10 of them. I picked up one of the last ones on the plate, and there was a good sized winged ant under it. At the same time the waitress came by to check on us. She basically saw me find the ant, so she knew I didn't plant it there. I didn't ask for it, but she took my plate away (I would have ate the other shrimp) and comped my meal. My friends were all very jealous and wanted to find ants as well. (We were all looking to save money for more important things - like beer)
While MY story has nothing to do with the thread? Had to toss out my college nightmare....
About 1974-1975, Fresno CA. Roomates & I LOVED the little Taco Shack about a block down from our student apartment. Probably ate a good 200 cheap Tacos.
1976. Department of Health shuts down Taco Shack for using Cat Meat :(. No, no one sued... we just FELT really bad for weeks :(.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While MY story has nothing to do with the thread? Had to toss out my college nightmare....
About 1974-1975, Fresno CA. Roomates & I LOVED the little Taco Shack about a block down from our student apartment. Probably ate a good 200 cheap Tacos.
1976. Department of Health shuts down Taco Shack for using Cat Meat :(. No, no one sued... we just FELT really bad for weeks :(.
Wouldn’t bother me...I’m a dog person:)

jaklgreen

There's too much analyzing going on here. The bug accusation simply adds to the idea that the food was dirty or ill-prepared. It also causes a PR-nightmare for Disney. And it's just that, an accusation. The more accusations, the better chance the plaintiffs have of getting something.

Bugs on lettuce is very common. Even after you wash/spin it, bugs can hang on. There is no way that you can examine every single piece of lettuce that goes out. Where I work, we go through cases of romaine lettuce a every day. It comes pre-washed but we still cut it up, wash/spin it and occasionally there is still a bug. Their legs are made to grip and not let go.

HMFan999

I think the telling part is that they "required multiple trips to the ER via ambulance." As many have said, those bugs wouldn't have made someone sick. Someone may have made themselves sick psychologically (which is understandable tbh), but this reads as the ER released them multiple times and they felt they needed to be rushed back to the ER via ambulance multiple times...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Gives the term "cat food" a whole new meaning, doesn't it?
Wouldn’t bother me...I’m a dog person:)
You sound like a real ruff guy... ;)

My favorite adulterated food story is the verde burger with the glass chip on the bun. I asked the server if the glass chip was at extra cost, and she whisked it away. Next thing I knew, I had another burger delivered by the manager, gratis, with a plaintive "I don't know how this could have happened..."

J_Carioca

Exactly. Of course it's gross to find bugs in your food. I would be appalled, regardless of whether the bugs actually made me sick or not, and disney needs to make sure this kind of thing doesnt happen. But the reason people are criticizing the guests is because turning this into a lawsuit is a ridiculous reaction. You find bugs in your lettuce? You tell management and you see if they fix it. You don't run out and lawyer up.

Pepper's Ghost

I couldn’t not reply to this thread. So, first, I’m definitely not a Disney-defender given the unwanted changes (IMO) they’ve made to my beloved parks, but let’s examine two scenarios to see which is more realistic. I’m not saying these are the only two possible scenarios or even that one is more true than the other, but let’s look at them anyway:

Scenario 1
  • Disney’s staff is negligent and does not properly clean and/or inspect their food when putting it out on the buffet (possible)
  • A family helps themselves to the bug infested load of lettuce without noticing any of the bugs… not one family member, or any other patron for that matter (not likely)
  • The family consumes numerous wraps, presumably putting the food in their own mouths, never once seeing anything from a couple inches away that all of us can see from over a foot or two away from the camera lens (not likely)
  • Not one other patron (outside this family) complains about bugs in THEIR food. This is an isolated incident affecting the food of only one family… from a buffet, yet effects all four, and no one else (highly unlikely)
  • The family realizes the issue while sitting at the table enough to take a photograph, but never alerts anyone, so Disney is unaware of the problem until the suit is filed (highly unlikely). If Disney were made aware at the time of occurrence they would have had the chance to investigate immediately and address. If that happened, they wouldn’t fight a $15k suit because they’d be aware of their culpability. More likely they’d bend over backwards to avoid this situation from ever seeing light
  • The family gets violently ill making several trips via ambulance to the ER, and keeps getting discharged despite numerous visits (unlikely)
  • The family is so distraught from their ordeal, and overwhelmed by the financial burden of the medical attention required sues for financial relief… after staying in the bank-breaking Disney Polynesian (possible, I guess. Not sure why they’d be staying at the Polynesian if their medical costs would be so cash-strapping)
Scenario 2
  • Parents visiting a Disney resort think to themselves that it’d be nice to have Disney foot the bill for some of their extravagant vacation, even if it’s just a few thousand (haven’t we all dreamed of an all-expenses-paid trip to WDW?)
  • One comes up with an ill-advised and thoughtless scheme after seeing a bunch of bugs outside munching on a piece of lettuce in the landscape (possible, although I’m sure attentive Disney staff would’ve cleared the landscape, fumigated, and apologized to all nearby families for the inconvenience and give out FP)
  • They eat their food, one goes back outside to that piece of lettuce and brings it in, they take the picture at the table and say nothing to the staff (possible. Why alert the on-site staff of the issue if your goal is a lawsuit)
  • They get back home, and still thinking this is a good idea contact an unsuspecting attorney with photographic evidence against the giant, cash-rich Disney company for some quick money. I’m sure given the amount requested they figure Disney would definitely settle giving them free money (possible, especially if the attorney is a friend or family). During planning they probably thought the lawsuit would be for millions, but their attorney tells them it will look like a money-grab and certain loss, and advises against it
I don't know.... what do you all think?

Cesar R M

My question is why would you proceed to eat it when you notice a bunch of bugs everywhere?
As far I could understand the link... The family served the food, didnt watch the food, ate it and then noticed the bugs after feeling something crawl in their mouth. eww.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
As far I could understand the link... The family served the food, didnt watch the food, ate it and then noticed the bugs after feeling something crawl in their mouth. eww.
How do you not look at the food first, I mean those were a ton of little bugs, I inspect my food every time I eat, even my own food!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom