Disney World guests file lawsuit after allegedly eating bug-infested food

Minthorne

What's the big deal? La Cava de Tequila Mexico pavilion has been serving insects for quite a while now with their margaritas with Black Ant Salt, Grasshopper Salt, and Mezcal Worm Salt.

The insects and arthropods buffet will be an up-charge event next year.

Janir

HansGruber

Is this a service where food is prepared by professional chefs? Or is it one prepared by minimum-wage workers?

No amount of process or procedure can provide completely fool-proof food service. But food provided by a professional chef, who has an actual stake in the game, is more likely to be prepared correctly.

jloucks

Quite a few years ago now we were eating a delicious salad at Tippins. I was about half way thru when I noticed there were actually quite a few lovely green colored inch worms also eating the salad. Challenge Accepted!! That was my salad, they could go slurp it.

...yea... I ate them. All of them. Didn't get a bit sick either I might add.

I'm pretty hard core/paranoid when it comes to germs. I'd rather eat a Tippins inch worm than lick an elevator button. Anyday.

Stellajack

Premium Member
If this is really a Disney property buffet, then they should have taken additional photos to show the authorities. I'm inclined to disbelieve this entire claim just based on the food pictures.

Disney4family

I guess they wouldn't want to try the "Creepy Crawly Critters" ice cream (made with dark chocolate covered crickets & coconut toffee brittle mealworms) or the "Dracula's Blood Pudding" ice cream (made with pig's blood) at Salt & Straw at DLR's Downtown Disney.

Shouldigo12

Regardless if whether the people filing the lawsuit are telling the truth (personally there's not enough evidence to sway me either way), I think it's a little odd people are defending Disney because other countries eat bug regularly and it's not a big deal, or the bugs aren't toxic so it wouldn't make them sick. If bugs aren't supposed to be in my food, I don't want them in my food. Even if they won't poison me, I don't want them there. If these people really did have bugs on their salad because if some negligence on the company's part, "Well, they wouldn't kill you!" is not a good excuse.

Again, I'm personally not leaning either way when it comes to if they're lying or telling the truth.

Minthorne

If there were lettuce wraps I wonder if you couldn't see the bugs unless you unwrapped them. In that case I could see biting into a wrapped wrap and eating it before realizing it had more fillings than expected. I do agree that if this really happened it is totally unacceptable.

NCO91590

If there were lettuce wraps I wonder if you couldn't see the bugs unless you unwrapped them. In that case I could see biting into a wrapped wrap and eating it before realizing it had more fillings than expected. I do agree that if this really happened it is totally unacceptable.

Typically lettuce wraps are "build your own", so it makes sense that they saw the bugs while they were putting them together. What does not make sense is why they would continue to eat them lol.

Phonedave

Is the buffet at the Poly completely indoors, or could the bugs have flown into the buffet area and landed on the food?
Either way, most of this lawsuit sounds like b.s. to me. Some people look at Disney and see $$ in front of their eyes. I've been eating salad at a restaurant, and saw a little inchworm crawling on to my fork. I told the waitress, and we got the meal for free. I left, didn't go back again, and everyone was happy. Maybe I should have sued the restaurant on false claims and made a few bucks out of it?

When I was in college we were at Dayton Beach for Spring Break (that's how long ago it was, Daytona was where you went on Spring Break). We had splurged for a meal at the IHOP (as opposed to eating free food at the clubs). I had the Fried Shrimp Platter - something like a dozen fried shrimp, I had eaten about 10 of them. I picked up one of the last ones on the plate, and there was a good sized winged ant under it. At the same time the waitress came by to check on us. She basically saw me find the ant, so she knew I didn't plant it there. I didn't ask for it, but she took my plate away (I would have ate the other shrimp) and comped my meal. My friends were all very jealous and wanted to find ants as well. (We were all looking to save money for more important things - like beer)

Raineman

OK, so, even if we assume that the staff at the Poly did not clean the lettuce properly, and it was ingested-why the lawsuit? What damages were incurred as a result of this? And, as others on this thread have asked, were the 3 plaintiffs not looking at the lettuce as they served themselves at the buffet, especially after consuming "multiple" lettuce wraps? If there were dozens of insects on the lettuce, it should have been fairly easy to see when grabbing it from the buffet, or picking up the lettuce to eat it. At that point, a complaint could have been made to the restaurant staff, and this whole situation could have been avoided. Too many people now refuse to take their share of personal responsibility-both Disney and the plaintiffs are equally at fault here, IMO, if the claim is valid.

Phonedave

So as a lawyer who does some personal injury work, I want to caution people who read the complaint into taking it too seriously. Complaints often are hyperbolic and always assert the worse case scenario. Even if Plaintiff is able to prove she got food poisoning and that Disney was negligent in their food service procedures, I don't know what her damages would be?

Yeah, I was sued once involving a car accident.. The suit stated the person had "permanent damage to a major bodily organ". I asked my lawyer what exactly they were talking about. He said that skin is an organ, they got scraped, it's going to leave a scar, that's permanent damage.

jaklgreen

Bugs happen, especially in lettuce. Most restaurants get their lettuce "pre-washed" and ready to go in the bag and just open it up and dump it. How a person reacts to this shows what kind of person they are. Most people either put aside the piece with the bug on it or tell staff and have them replace the lettuce. A small few overreact and expect something for their "trauma". I don't think that anyone would get food poisoning from aphids. It is more likely that if they got sick, it was psychosomatic. It probably just grossed them out.

fosse76

Not to take sides, but bugs in food is unacceptable. I don't care if the bugs are poisonous or not, it's gross. Also, eating "new" foods can cause digestive issues (though not necessarily food poisoning). Just ask a vegetarian who eats beef for the first time. It's not pretty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom