News Target coming to Walt Disney World and Disney Store shop-in-shop coming to Target stores

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
As I posted in another thread, there is no building big enough on those plans for a Target, although there is still other land at Flamingo Crossing that could be used for it.
Could it be a small format Target?

The small-format stores can be as small as 15,000 square feet or less, with the average small-format Target size around 40,000 square feet. This is about one-third the size of a full-size 130,000 square-foot Target store.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They could put it here:

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The small-format stores can be as small as 15,000 square feet or less, with the average small-format Target size around 40,000 square feet. This is about one-third the size of a full-size 130,000 square-foot Target store.

It could be, but it would be on the small side even for one of those. I would think they would want to go with a bigger store in this area.

WhatJaneSays

It could be, but it would be on the small side even for one of those. I would think they would want to go with a bigger store in this area.
There might be some cause to make this a smaller form Target if it does come to Flamingo Crossings, simply because there is another Target not 5 miles away on 192. Mind you you either have to jump on 429 or take a 15 minute detour to get there if you're coming from the Flamingo Crossings area. That exiting target is less than 20 min by car from most of WDW's south half, and likely more convenient for anyone living on/near 192. If all the housing projects that way happen, plus the existing population north of there, it could probably support a full size Target. Of course that all gets blown out the window if Disney provides free transportation to this area, then it could be wall to wall Targets and they'd probably still need more. 😅

MrPromey

This seems like it would make more sense for the location. Do they really need a furniture section, vacuum cleaners and baby cribs at a Target located here?

Also, in contrast to my previous surprise at this going in to WDW, if it is in this areal along with everything else that is basically treated like it is off-property, it makes total sense.

Goofyernmost

Did I read that wrong? What I read is the Disney is going to Target to cover markets where there is no current Disney Store, not that Target is coming into Disney parks. It seems to make more sense the way I read it. Why would Disney want a middle man in the resorts?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Did I read that wrong? What I read is the Disney is going to Target to cover markets where there is no current Disney Store, not that Target is coming into Disney parks. It seems to make more sense the way I read it. Why would Disney want a middle man in the resorts?

They are going to be putting Disney sections in select Target stores and also putting a Target store at WDW, probably at Flamingo Crossing.

Goofyernmost

They are going to be putting Disney sections in select Target stores and also putting a Target store at WDW, probably at Flamingo Crossing.
Nothing new there, they have many big Disney areas in Walmarts close by WDW now. The first part is what I thought it was saying. That also makes sense. Why pay rent in malls and staffing when they can just discount prices to Target and make the same profit without the hassle.

FigmentForver96

SirWillow

Resorts used to be about getting away from your daily grind... not paying to have a sterilized, stripped down version of your normal life. I don’t want to browse the homeward aisles on my vacation... nor the entertainment section. If there is something I need for my vacation that I forgot, or broke, make it easy to get it to my room without me “making a trip to the strip mall”.

Disney could have paired up with amazon and done amazon lockers or free next day delivery to on property and then that would have been a way to improve my vacation experience.

Opening a retail location on property doesn’t do a lot for me. This deal was more about targets not at wdw...

Good. Simple answer for you then- carry on like you have in the past and don't go. Your problem is easily solved. No one is going to force you to "walk the aisles on your vacation."

While at the same time having a Target on property accessible to resort guests solves problems that many guests have picking up things that they need that Disney doesn't carry in their resort stores.

It's the best of both worlds! :p

Any chance they'll incorporate free delivery to guests staying on property? That'd be a nice perk! Synergy!

They haven't said one way or the other about delivery. Though to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up as part of the plan. Though I also don't know that they'll do "free" but it may very well be cheaper than other options. They might do deliveries from the on property Target at a lower fee than what they are now charging for other deliveries.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The last few times I was at WDW I kept thinking how they could really use a Target store with beefed up margins. It's really the one thing that was missing from my Disney vacations. I just hope it's a magical and immersive department store.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Good. Simple answer for you then- carry on like you have in the past and don't go. Your problem is easily solved. No one is going to force you to "walk the aisles on your vacation."

While at the same time having a Target on property accessible to resort guests solves problems that many guests have picking up things that they need that Disney doesn't carry in their resort stores.

It's the best of both worlds! :p

So you note "Not any real discussion of why a Target store somewhere on property wouldn't be a good thing" and when someone addresses that, you dismiss it as "you don't have to use it". The problem isn't lack of meaningful points... it's you don't want to face them.

It's not a transparent thing. If Disney were to partner with a retailer like this... it has repercussions even if you never step in the place.
- focus on a retail outlet like this could justify shaping/changing what retail options Disney puts closer to guests (Hotels)
- space to develop is a premium
- this kind of partnership would impact setting up other kinds of retail arrangements

And the kinds of discussion we are having here is not about "where I like to shop" but about the management of the resort, direction, and impact of those choices.

I outlined some alternative retail arrangements that would have been much better choices for WDW guests. Heck, make it Target and put up kiosks in the resorts where people can browse and order for quick delivery to the hotel... Order by 11am, deliver by 7pm or something. Something that could even be done based out of an existing retail base. There are already two retail locations just minutes from WDW. Create a 'uber eats' style retail experience combined with your hospitality abilities at your resorts.

These would actually all be value-adds Disney could partner with Target to add for it's guests.

IMO - putting a target on property somewhere only potentially solves one thing... a location that you could get to potentially via Disney transportation. It however does not make it necessarily a BETTER choice, as we all know how crippling Disney transportation can be. Unless they address the amount of effort and time it takes to get to that location... it's not really any better than what guests can do now. And certainly has forward looking impacts to what Disney does on property... where as simply pointing people off property does NOT.

SirWillow

So you note "Not any real discussion of why a Target store somewhere on property wouldn't be a good thing" and when someone addresses that, you dismiss it as "you don't have to use it". The problem isn't lack of meaningful points... it's you don't want to face them.

But when the only "real" complaint, as you put it, is "I don't want to go shopping at a Target when I'm at Disney", that's not a real complaint. If you don't want to do it, then don't. The same is true of anything at WDW. No one is forcing you to go to the store, or even go past it, on your way to the parks, and it's not in the parks.

I outlined some alternative retail arrangements that would have been much better choices for WDW guests. Heck, make it Target and put up kiosks in the resorts where people can browse and order for quick delivery to the hotel... Order by 11am, deliver by 7pm or something. Something that could even be done based out of an existing retail base. There are already two retail locations just minutes from WDW. Create a 'uber eats' style retail experience combined with your hospitality abilities at your resorts.

These would actually all be value-adds Disney could partner with Target to add for it's guests.

IMO - putting a target on property somewhere only potentially solves one thing... a location that you could get to potentially via Disney transportation. It however does not make it necessarily a BETTER choice, as we all know how crippling Disney transportation can be. Unless they address the amount of effort and time it takes to get to that location... it's not really any better than what guests can do now. And certainly has forward looking impacts to what Disney does on property... where as simply pointing people off property does NOT.

You don't need the kiosks in the resorts. People can already do that on their cell phones. They can just add a blurb in the papers they give you letting you know that (if they do this route) delivery from Target is available at a reduced/ free charge.

But for a lot of people, as shocking as they might be, they do like to go to the store, and they like the thought of being able to go without having to rent a car, pay for uber/ lyft, or feeling trapped. It adds an option that no one is forced to use, see or deal with unless they want to.

It's not going to change what Disney offers at their resorts. It's just simply another way to keep people from having to leave the resort property to get things that aren't offered anywhere else at the resort. And as shocking as it might be for some, not everyone wants deliver. Some actually do like walking those aisles, and for some of us it's a way to make one trip instead of 5 different orders because we keep forgetting to put something we need on it. Getting old stinks. lol

I know the rampant fear is that they are going to start dropping Target's in the resorts and the parks. And it's just a paranoid fear. They aren't going to be in the parks, and Disney does just fine making a killing with the stores they have now in the resorts. There's no reason for them to bring that into the resorts- and lose a cut of what people spend to a middle man. This just simply provides a way for Disney to help keep the guests captive on property- and to make a cut of what they were leaving property for to begin with.

LSLS

But when the only "real" complaint, as you put it, is "I don't want to go shopping at a Target when I'm at Disney", that's not a real complaint. If you don't want to do it, then don't. The same is true of anything at WDW. No one is forcing you to go to the store, or even go past it, on your way to the parks, and it's not in the parks.

You don't need the kiosks in the resorts. People can already do that on their cell phones. They can just add a blurb in the papers they give you letting you know that (if they do this route) delivery from Target is available at a reduced/ free charge.

But for a lot of people, as shocking as they might be, they do like to go to the store, and they like the thought of being able to go without having to rent a car, pay for uber/ lyft, or feeling trapped. It adds an option that no one is forced to use, see or deal with unless they want to.

It's not going to change what Disney offers at their resorts. It's just simply another way to keep people from having to leave the resort property to get things that aren't offered anywhere else at the resort. And as shocking as it might be for some, not everyone wants deliver. Some actually do like walking those aisles, and for some of us it's a way to make one trip instead of 5 different orders because we keep forgetting to put something we need on it. Getting old stinks. lol

I know the rampant fear is that they are going to start dropping Target's in the resorts and the parks. And it's just a paranoid fear. They aren't going to be in the parks, and Disney does just fine making a killing with the stores they have now in the resorts. There's no reason for them to bring that into the resorts- and lose a cut of what people spend to a middle man. This just simply provides a way for Disney to help keep the guests captive on property- and to make a cut of what they were leaving property for to begin with.

Has there been confirmation that there will be Disney transportation to Target outside of Uber/Minnie Vans/whatever you have to pay to get there?

flynnibus

Premium Member
But when the only "real" complaint, as you put it, is "I don't want to go shopping at a Target when I'm at Disney", that's not a real complaint

You were fixated on a example.. instead of grasping the important conclusion after that. Read this part again..
...that would have been a way to improve my vacation experience.

Opening a retail location on property doesn’t do a lot for me

The entire point of this is to improve the guest experience is it not? Even you said its purpose is to help guests... well I'm saying it's the WRONG choice to address that need.

And yes... 'what I need to do while on vacation' is a valid complaint... it's an essential part of the idea of vacation and why people goto RESORTS vs the idea of just going somewhere and doing everything yourself. When I go camping.. I expect to gather my food and supplies myself. When I goto a resort... I don't expect to be told "there is a grocery store 30mins away..." when I ask about food options.

If you don't want to do it, then don't. The same is true of anything at WDW. No one is forcing you to go to the store, or even go past it, on your way to the parks, and it's not in the parks.

And frankly it's naive to think such things do not have impacts elsewhere.

Kiosks serve multiple purposes
1 - Awareness - draws attention that the option is even available... right in the place your key audience is.. the shopper
2 - Advertising - provides a platform and footprint to advertise the brand and service
3 - Accessibility - you don't need your phone
4 - Screen Size - you can have a much better experience on a larger screen

Sure you can do it online - but there are still reasons to put a Kiosk type of application out there as well. Same reason many retailers have these kinds of stations in their stores instead of just a sign that says "hey, order it online"

Given the option of
1 - Find the item at my local sundry shop
or
2 - Wait for a bus, potentially transfer, go into a big store, then again wait for a bus, potentially transfer to get back

Who wants to do option 2 on their vacation? That's why this kind of thing has impact and isn't just a harmless option. When Disney has an alternative to give the guest.. even if it's less desirable for the guest... that lessens the importance Disney has to solve the problem in another way.

It's not going to change what Disney offers at their resorts

When Disney has that 'send them to target' option in front of them.. it will impact Disney's choices for it's own offers. That's reality and naive to think it has no bearing on future choices or services. When you design your offers, you consider what are the alternatives your customers have.

And as shocking as it might be for some, not everyone wants deliver. Some actually do like walking those aisles, and for some of us it's a way to make one trip instead of 5 different orders because we keep forgetting to put something we need on it.

This thinking is fine... if you weren't already paying $100 to be somewhere else that day... or you weren't on vacation.

I know the rampant fear is that they are going to start dropping Target's in the resorts and the parks. And it's just a paranoid fear.

I think the term you are looking for is.. strawman.

This just simply provides a way for Disney to help keep the guests captive on property- and to make a cut of what they were leaving property for to begin with.

And is yet another reason for Disney to not provide solutions that are better for its guests.

erasure fan1

I know the rampant fear is that they are going to start dropping Target's in the resorts and the parks. And it's just a paranoid fear.
Is there really a fear? If anything I'd say it was just a lame thing to announce at your biggest fan convention. It reminds me of when Blizzard at their convention decided to announce a mobile game instead of a proper new game. This was something that could have shown up in an email news letter or heck, on the target website.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom