News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

No Name

It sounds like there’s at least to be some minimal effort to make the actual attraction fit the park, and not just the excuse that Peter Quill visited Epcot as a child. That's good to hear.

However this ride will still be remarkably less timeless, “Disney,” or family friendly than many beloved original attractions in the park, and it’s kind of concerning that the folks in charge don’t realize this.

Movielover

But it really limits things.

Going backwards means your head isn’t supported
Going backwards means females have their ***** crushed if they have over the shoulder restraints
Going backwards means lap style restraints would punch people’s guts

Basically.. it means forces against the body that are NOT supported by your seat. So you can’t be anywhere near as dynamic or risk comfort or injury issues. Attractions like Superman go backwards at high speed... but at freefall acceleration... not launch.

Clearly you've never been on one of these babies! That backwards launch is intense!

trainplane3

Going backwards means females have their ***** crushed if they have over the shoulder restraints

Basically.. it means forces against the body that are NOT supported by your seat. So you can’t be anywhere near as dynamic or risk comfort or injury issues. Attractions like Superman go backwards at high speed... but at freefall acceleration... not launch.
The restraints they're apparently using are Vekomas "over the head but not quite" setup:
badf1e24b059eb9e8ca921e6f2cc38e6.jpg

Epcot82Guy

It also depends a lot on the intensity (or lack there of). Given the mechanics, I would bet those cars are NOT light. So, getting them up to speed won't be the burst something like RnRC has. Likely closer to Big Grizzly Mountain (if that). And certainly nothing like Superman, Top Thrill Dragster or even Cheetah Hunt (which should be obvious given Disney). I'm sure we'll hear complaints as always. But, I doubt the coaster will put that much strain on the body.

Incomudro

Yeah, backwards is just wrong for the human body in so many ways.
We aren't designed to accelerate in reverse - where forces pull everything away.

trainplane3

It also depends a lot on the intensity (or lack there of). Given the mechanics, I would bet those cars are NOT light. So, getting them up to speed won't be the burst something like RnRC has. Likely closer to Big Grizzly Mountain (if that). And certainly nothing like Superman, Top Thrill Dragster or even Cheetah Hunt (which should be obvious given Disney). I'm sure we'll hear complaints as always. But, I doubt the coaster will put that much strain on the body.
Ya I'm not sure why some are assuming this is going to rip your head off. It's going to be a "ride for the whole family".

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ya I'm not sure why some are assuming this is going to rip your head off. It's going to be a "ride for the whole family".
Well...this is the company that installed a transportation system where riders regularly burst into flames and plummet into alligator infested swamps while being struck by lightning so anything is possible. ;)

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

Firechaser Express at Dollywood is a kids/family coaster (39" height requirement) with a backwards launch. Absolutely possible to do it and it still be very comfortable/enjoyable.

Movielover

Well...this is the company that "allegedly" installed a transportation system where riders regularly burst into flames and plummet into alligator infested swamps while being struck by lightning so anything is possible. ;)

Fixed that for ya since I still have my doubts that they are building it, especially since the ladder was spotted over at Guardians...

;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Firechaser Express at Dollywood is a kids/family coaster (39" height requirement) with a backwards launch. Absolutely possible to do it and it still be very comfortable/enjoyable.

Sure... but that launch is very very low speed and really only gets you up and over what... about a 20ft hill?

Nothing like the big launch tunnel and climb seen in guardians. Unless the gimmick is only used in small scale like your fire chaser example. I immediately was drawn to the main launch... but maybe that’s traditional

trainplane3

The long launch tunnel and what... 150ft climb or so... is that at kiddie speed or thrill speed in your view?
I suppose not but a 150ft hill usually means about 60-65mph give or take. That's not exactly fast and we don't know if we're going to the highest point right after the launch either. But I also didn't call it a kiddie coaster. It's not like there's going to be 3 or 4 year olds riding this.

@marni1971 are there multiple launches/boosts or one and done?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Sure... but that launch is very very low speed and really only gets you up and over what... about a 20ft hill?

Nothing like the big launch tunnel and climb seen in guardians. Unless the gimmick is only used in small scale like your fire chaser example. I immediately was drawn to the main launch... but maybe that’s traditional

Fair enough... Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City has rotating cars (not programmed rotation, more free rotating) and launches at 50 mph (in some situations, riders could be launching forwards, or sideways, or backwards). Granted this is a more "adult" coaster, but there are examples. The coaster could start launching backwards then rotate mid launch as the train picks up speed. Further, the LIMS could extend some/much of the way up the first hill to keep the Gs to a minimum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom