News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

smile

they taunt us with Horizons......

there's a few on there...
šŸ˜Ÿ

... hi wom

tenor.gif

tirian

The popularity of a remake doesnā€™t even have to be tied to nostalgia. Iā€™ve never seen the original Aladdin (although hubby says we still have a VHS copy and the kids watched it a thousand times), and yet I saw the live action version at the theatres six times this summer.

It wasnā€™t nostalgia pulling me back into the theatres, it was a visually stunning movie, likeable characters, great acting, catchy tunes, and mostly Will Smithā€™s portrayal of Genie.

Iā€™ve since seen dozens of side by side comparisons of Robin Williamsā€™ Genie to Will Smithā€™s Genie on YT, and Iā€™ll say it again ... Robin who?
:rolleyes:

Brainleech419

The popularity of a remake doesnā€™t even have to be tied to nostalgia. Iā€™ve never seen the original Aladdin (although hubby says we still have a VHS copy and the kids watched it a thousand times), and yet I saw the live action version at the theatres six times this summer.

It wasnā€™t nostalgia pulling me back into the theatres, it was a visually stunning movie, likeable characters, great acting, catchy tunes, and mostly Will Smithā€™s portrayal of Genie.

Iā€™ve since seen dozens of side by side comparisons of Robin Williamsā€™ Genie to Will Smithā€™s Genie on YT, and Iā€™ll say it again ... Robin who?
My opinion. Doesnā€™t have to be yours. šŸ™‚

Not sure you can have a valid opinion on comparing actors performance with out seeing the original...

JenniferS

Time To Be Movinā€™ Along
Premium Member
Not sure you can have a valid opinion on comparing actors performance with out seeing the original...
Scene by scene Genie comparisons, added to the fact that Iā€™m not at all a Robin Williams fan.

Said it was my opinion. Didnā€™t say it was an informed one. šŸ˜‰

Good thing I donā€™t actually care about anyone elseā€™s opinion of my opinion.

Probably going to get raked over the coals again for this opinion, but the animation style of the original looks flat and lacking depth to me - especially compared to the rich colours and textures, and amazing ā€œmovementā€ in Moana and Coco.

UNCgolf

Yes it's a great gig to have on the weekend. Come on WDWMagic and troll the "purists" with fresh opinions and perspectives that make their closed minded heads explode! šŸ¤Æ

I don't think anyone (or at almost anyone) is upset simply because something is new or different. They're upset because they consider it a decrease in quality. Is that merely an opinion? Of course it is, but that doesn't mean it's WRONG or they're close minded just because you disagree with it.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who love Mission Space and are happy it replaced Horizons. There may even be people out there who think the current Imagination ride is better than the original. They're not WRONG about that, because, again, it's all opinion, but I personally couldn't disagree more.

A lot of people here (I'm not singling you out, you just happen to be the person I'm replying to) seem to think anyone who disagrees with them about something has some kind of inherent bias and that's the only reason they think that way as opposed to a sincere judgment that this or that is better or worse than before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Scene by scene Genie comparisons, added to the fact that Iā€™m not at all a Robin Williams fan.

Said it was my opinion. Didnā€™t say it was an informed one. šŸ˜‰

Good thing I donā€™t actually care about anyone elseā€™s opinion of my opinion.

Probably going to get raked over the coals again for this opinion, but the animation style of the original looks flat and lacking depth to me - especially compared to the rich colours and textures, and amazing ā€œmovementā€ in Moana and Coco.
Itā€™s tough to reclaim a remake...straight up...as ā€œsuperiorā€

Originality does matter.

Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the movie though.

Ponderer

Itā€™s tough to reclaim a remake...straight up...as ā€œsuperiorā€

Originality does matter.

Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the movie though.

It really does depend on if youā€™re bringing something new to the party. It takes more effort, of course, but when it works, it REALLY pays off. Like, the original Peteā€™s Dragon has its charm, but the remake is passionate and leagues better than the original. (The Jungle Book remake isnā€™t necessarily BETTER than the original, but itā€™s as striking in its own way because it had an individual vision.)

Youā€™re not gonna get a lot of traction if youā€™re just mimicking the original with CGI or live actors, though. Itā€™s like when a band covers a classic song and uses the same arrangement. Whatā€™s the point?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom