News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

jt04

but the Wilderness Lodge is already themed to an Adirondacks type lodge... Just more of the same... The modern Springhill Suites style is going to clash with the adjacent Fort Wilderness camp ground and amenities building...unless Fort Wilderness is going to get the Springhill Suites remodel and make it also blandly Ikea... At least the two properties would feel better placed...
I agree about the Contemporary... Mid century aesthetic is good, though I do wish they would bring back the lucite trees...they brought the mural forward into the spaces... It was color saturated and beautiful... Now the Grand Canyon Concourse is a mess of muddled themes and color styles... Completely lacking vision.

WL is a different take on the form IMO. Much more 'rustic' than what I'm referencing. But yes, it would be good if they stuck with anything 'Wilderness '.

Bocabear

WL is a different take on the form IMO. Much more 'rustic' than what I'm referencing. But yes, it would be good if they stuck with anything 'Wilderness '.
When looking for reference material, all I can find for Adirondack Lodge is extremely similar to Wilderness Lodge in style and feel... What are you thinking?? Would love to see.

Skibum1970

When looking for reference material, all I can find for Adirondack Lodge is extremely similar to Wilderness Lodge in style and feel... What are you thinking?? Would love to see.
View attachment 400591View attachment 400593

I'm probably wrong but I always thought that WL was based more on the Yellowstone Lodge feel or the national parks lodges. Although, the pictures of Adirondack lodges look familiar. Maybe a lodge is a lodge?

Ponderer

Yes, Frank Lloyd Wright...But you mentioned the feel of an Adirondack Lodge...which is a whole other animal...
Ok, I understand Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie Style....Which also does not mesh with the Wilderness Lodge feel...

Maybe, but I don’t know how focused you need to be on precise meshing when you can see a monorail and the Contemporary right outside the WL windows. :)

jt04

Yes, Frank Lloyd Wright...But you mentioned the feel of an Adirondack Lodge...which is a whole other animal...
Ok, I understand Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie Style....Which also does not mesh with the Wilderness Lodge feel...

It does not have to mesh with the WL. Only the wilderness.

That FLW aesthetic was at the root of the New England and upstate New York lodge style I suspect. At least it was an influence as it dates to 1912.

Bocabear

Maybe, but I don’t know how focused you need to be on precise meshing when you can see a monorail and the Contemporary right outside the WL windows. :)
but the Contemporary is not in the Wilderness Lodge... and it is relatively shielded and distanced with the lake and an island... Planes fly overhead too, but that doesn't spoil the illusion that you are at the Polynesian...
The Disney Springhill Suites hotel is going to be basically on the grounds of Wilderness Lodge... So the properties really should mesh better...
Of course the Riviera does not mesh with the Caribbean Beach hotel either... so...

jt04

but the Contemporary is not in the Wilderness Lodge... and it is relatively shielded and distanced with the lake and an island... Planes fly overhead too, but that doesn't spoil the illusion that you are at the Polynesian...
The Disney Springhill Suites hotel is going to be basically on the grounds of Wilderness Lodge... So the properties really should mesh better...
Of course the Riviera does not mesh with the Caribbean Beach hotel either... so...

Poly site next to Grand Floridian but each feels worlds apart. Imo.

Ponderer

We literally saw the monorail going into the Contemporary from our bed every night on our last trip, like it was in the parking lot. I understand what you’re saying, but t’s not shielded or hidden at the least. I highly doubt that most of the guests at WL will even realize it’s there, but of course, we’ll see.

jt04

they are separated...there is space between them... Reflections motel is actually on the grounds of the Wilderness Lodge...

I'd have to look at the google. But poly is very close to the new dvc tower. In any case, the layout of the new reflections is clearly strategic to protect sightlines. Time will tell why that is.

ABQ

Bocabear

It will really all depend upon just how much deforestation takes place. They are not on the same grounds, but are close, however, not much closer than the CR to the WL really.
my point was actually about the new Reflections looking out of place with Fort Wilderness...not the Wilderness Lodge...

Calmdownnow

my point was actually about the new Reflections looking out of place with Fort Wilderness...not the Wilderness Lodge...
I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am probably in a minority thinking that the artwork of this resort seems very relaxing and appealing, BUT... it is so close to the Fort, which has such a different vibe and a very different appeal. Yes, Fort guests may have extra options for food, drink, spa services etc, (if they are allowed access to the Reflection amenities and it is a not a one-sided arrangement ie. Reflections guests can book pony rides, carriage rides etc, but Fort guests can't get similar access to expanded options at Reflections). However, the "hipster vibe" of the proposed new resort doesn't seem to me to sit comfortably with the "camping/self-sufficiency" vibe of the Fort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom