News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

prberk

Ft. Wilderness is, more specifically, the definition of Walt Disney World. It’s spread out and takes advantage of the luxury of space. You can watch fireworks from the beach, take a boat to the magic kingdom, wilderness lodge, or contemporary. You can just walk around and enjoy the vibe that is both a real world place, and also a fantasy land that doesn’t really exist in time.

Hoop dee Doo is a great example of that classic Disney world experience. It’s family friendly, completely Disney, and yet there isn’t a single Disney character to be found.

I wish I could have visited when the steam trains were running and you could visit discovery island and river country.

Yep, I cannot call them my own regrets because I was really too young for most of the time, but I never got to visit River Country or Discovery Island; and o how I wish I had. I knew about them by the time I graduated college and could afford to go, but it took a while for me to make it down on my own... and then I was focused on staying at the Poly and Contemporary for the first time and visiting the parks on my own. At that time I always thought I would do them "next time," as usually I had at least one newby with me who had to see the "must-sees" of the parks in our limited time.

But truly this part of the Vacation Kingdom was what I fell in love with so early: that it was expansive and took advantage of the "blessing of size." You could wander around and discover so many things outside of the parks and often at your own pace. And Fort Wilderness was exactly that. So was the Poly and even the Contemporary. Each had a marina where you could rent personal boats -- which, to me, was amazing and something I could never do at home -- and, remember, ALL THREE had a themed dinner show. (The Contemporary's was "Broadway at the Top" in the restaurant where California Grill is today.) But mainly I learned over time really to appreciate the details and places to explore at the resorts that were truly Disney ... and FW was really the best at that.

Maybe a future generation will understand again how "Disney" did not have to include cartoon characters. It was bigger than that.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

IMG_0052.PNG

I, for one, am looking forward to the toilet in its very own glass enclosure. It allows the modesty to do your business in your own space, while never having to leave the ever-present gaze of your family for a single moment on your trip.

Nothing says togetherness like passing yesterday's Pecos Bill while making direct eye contact with Little Billy as he brushes his teeth. But in that classy, high-end sort of way where there's a fully transparent divider between you for no apparent reason.

Forget rides and character meals, these are the vacation memories that guests will cherish for a lifetime!

Ravenclaw78

View attachment 398866

I, for one, am looking forward to the toilet in its very own glass enclosure. It allows the modesty to do your business in your own space, while never having to leave the ever-present gaze of your family for a single moment on your trip.

Nothing says togetherness like passing yesterday's Pecos Bill while making direct eye contact with Little Billy as he brushes his teeth. But in that classy, high-end sort of way where there's a fully transparent divider between you for no apparent reason.

Forget rides and character meals, these are the vacation memories that guests will cherish for a lifetime!
I assumed the shower and stall doors were clear in the renders for purposes of showing what's inside, and would be frosted glass in reality. But yeah, as depicted, they're rather unfortunate.

Sir_Cliff

I feel like I'm letting the team down, but I don't really mind the character murals as depicted here. Well, with the exception of the Brother Bear toilet mural. They actually seem reasonably integrated into the architecture and Bambi, Pocahontas, and Fox & the Hound are also quieter, more atmospheric films with artwork that I think actually work ok in this setting. The films also seem to have been chosen because they fit the theme even though they don't fit the current Disney franchise mandate.

I certainly far prefer this to the example we've seen of The Incredibles shoehorned into The Contemporary.

note2001

I like the designs on one level as I love the movies being depicted...
but I don't want this become a giant comic book. That's what value resorts are for. *sigh*

I need to see this in person, if the grounds are amazing, if that lazy river is one I can float in until the Florida sun fries my skin to a crispy red, I may forgive the overabundance of murals and 1960s wood paneling feel and just say
"Ow... Good night Disney, I'll see you tomorrow"

Chupaca Bruh

This looks like they want to put giant photographs behind the beds. His has been going on for a few years now and I didn’t like it when it was new. I understand, and can see, what they are attempting with the design. It is a bit bland and needs to be much more of it’s time period. As usual, of late, they are being to cautious = fine but pedestrian.

eddie104

My thoughts on the concept art

1. Personally I look at this as a standalone hotel because I can't compare it with the current ones on property for a couple reasons and one major being the time period it was built in. To me it looks fine and definitely matches the standards of what a deluxe hotel should be at WDW today.
  2. As far as theming goes I feel like Disney has put a lot more effort into this resort than the Riviera so that is a major plus in my book and everything looks to have a very nice spa/rustic feel.
  3. This is supposed to be opening in 2022 so a lot can be changed between now and opening so I wouldn't hundred percent say this is what Reflections is going to look like.
  4. I feel like a lot of people judge things on what Disney has built in the past and maybe be a little blind to what current consumers want in a modern day hotel. In my opinion this is just not some generic hotel you can find anywhere and has elements that are unique to it so I don't really agree with comments like that.
  5. If I was visiting the parks and had the money I would most certainly look at this resort as option to stay at because it checks all the boxes plus more.

Ponderer

1. Personally I look at this as a standalone hotel because I can't compare it with the current ones on property for a couple reasons and one major being the time period it was built in. To me it looks fine and definitely matches the standards of what a deluxe hotel should be at WDW today.

This occurred to me - secluded spa retreat with a woodsy, relaxing vibe IS a theme, as much as National Park lodge or New England seaside hotel. You may not LIKE that theme, it may not be your vibe, it may be too woo-woo or modern or whatever, but this is the expectation of this kind of theme and the preliminary art is executed well with a soft Disney vibe. Even the not especially showy architecture reinforces this, with the this-is-part-of-nature followthrough. It is exactly what it's supposed to be - they're not making up a theme as they go.

jt04

This occurred to me - secluded spa retreat with a woodsy, relaxing vibe IS a theme, as much as National Park lodge or New England seaside hotel. You may not LIKE that theme, it may not be your vibe, it may be too woo-woo or modern or whatever, but this is the expectation of this kind of theme and the preliminary art is executed well with a soft Disney vibe. Even the not especially showy architecture reinforces this, with the this-is-part-of-nature followthrough. It is exactly what it's supposed to be - they're not making up a theme as they go.

There is such a rich source of inspiration they can draw from Florida history, and local nature. What the GF is to the age of industry, this can be the nature inspired opposite. Perfect counter programming. And this would fulfill the 'Wilderness' setting. WDW already has the seaside and mountain lodge resorts.

The lazy river almost certainly will be based on Florida springs and runs. The rest of the script writes itself IMO.

Ponderer

There is such a rich source of inspiration they can draw from Florida history, and local nature. What the GF is to the age of industry, this can be the nature inspired opposite. Perfect counter programming. And this would fulfill the 'Wilderness' setting. WDW already has the seaside and mountain lodge resorts.

The lazy river almost certainly will be based on Florida springs and runs. The rest of the script writes itself IMO.

Which is fine, but I personally like the focus on relaxation. It's not supposed to feel like a tribute to the Ahwahnee or Hotel del Coronado. I think it's supposed to feel like a disconnect from the real world where the focus is YOU. A lack of specific references in favor of purpose, I believe that's going to help a lot of people unplug and unwind. (Which is sort of why the one choice my heart's not in is the Pocahontas statue, but the IP situation is what it is.)

Last edited:

jt04

Which is fine, but I personally like the focus on relaxation. It's not supposed to feel like a tribute to the Ahwahnee or Hotel del Coronado. I think it's supposed to feel like a disconnect from the real world where the focus is YOU. A lack of specific references in favor of purpose, I believe that's going to help a lot of people unplug and unwind. (Which is sort of why the one choice my heart's not in is the Pocahontas statue, but the IP situation is what it is.)

I agree and also think that the deluxe resorts should use IP sparingly. The hotel should be the character.

If they want to build a resort based on relaxation and escape with modern amenities then surely they could find a place on property more appropriate in setting. Epcot perhaps?

Ponderer

I agree and also think that the deluxe resorts should use IP sparingly. The hotel should be the character.

If they want to build a resort based on relaxation and escape with modern amenities then surely they could find a place on property more appropriate in setting. Epcot perhaps?

I could definitely see such a resort being relaxing in its own way, but there are few areas that could feel as secluded or nature-centric, you know? So many of the other resorts are defined by proximity to the closest theme park, but this is a good bit more out of the way and seems kind of ideal for the purpose of unplugging. (One of the reasons WL has always felt like our home resort was because it feels like a mental space separate from the rest of WDW, if that makes sense.)

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The far end of resort parking lots really don't get a lot of noise. Cars driving past don't blare their horns. There are no parking lot raves. And it's dead at night. Plus, the horsies get a brand new stable and a walking path on the wooded side of the barn.

New barn...

jt04

Random thoughts...

The Marvel overlay in Paris works well because the hotel never was iconic.

A mid century makeover of the Contemporary Tower is very compelling. An Incredibles theming of a few rooms and perhaps some character dining m&gs would be sufficient IMO.

Reflections could work themed to an Adirondack lodge arts and crafts movement homage if Florida wilderness is too obvious.

Just my 2 centavos.

Bocabear

Random thoughts...

The Marvel overlay in Paris works well because the hotel never was iconic.

A mid century makeover of the Contemporary Tower is very compelling. An Incredibles theming of a few rooms and perhaps some character dining m&gs would be sufficient IMO.

Reflections could work themed to an Adirondack lodge arts and crafts movement homage if Florida wilderness is too obvious.

Just my 2 centavos.
but the Wilderness Lodge is already themed to an Adirondacks type lodge... Just more of the same... The modern Springhill Suites style is going to clash with the adjacent Fort Wilderness camp ground and amenities building...unless Fort Wilderness is going to get the Springhill Suites remodel and make it also blandly Ikea... At least the two properties would feel better placed...
I agree about the Contemporary... Mid century aesthetic is good, though I do wish they would bring back the lucite trees...they brought the mural forward into the spaces... It was color saturated and beautiful... Now the Grand Canyon Concourse is a mess of muddled themes and color styles... Completely lacking vision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom