News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Jon81uk

I have often said this, but it's worth repeating, Disney parks contains 1000's of details that the guests may not consciously notice, but it is the combination of all the details that make Disney parks what they are and set them apartt from their competitors.

And the plain coloured buildings make the architectural elements of the roof and supports stand out more. If you consciously noticed the building paint job then you wouldn’t see the awesome roof structure.

begood524

Looks like the Riviera station has gotten some more greenery additions...

Photo from https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/construction-update-disneys-riviera-resort-photos/

lazyboy97o

I agree, but curiosity still has me wondering.
It does beg the question why there? Perhaps Dopplemayr recommended or insisted they be located within a station because of the equipment they house?
It's possible that due to the design of the equipment that there is limit to how far away these rooms can be without getting into significant re-design cost. One of the rooms also has a window facing the platform which I assume is some sort of control room so it wouldn't make sense to have that further away.
This is exactly my thinking. Either that, or in some cases, even a re-design may still result in decreased effectiveness/function/reliability...even if we disregard the potential window/control room aspect.
They contain electrical and mechanical rooms along with operations rooms. All of the stations have such facilities but theyre not so prominently situated (nor are the other stations otherwise as well designed). It is always more expensive to put equipment further away as you’re running more wires. This usually is not a small additional cost, so equipment [in general] often gets priority in regards to location. Building codes also have a strong influence on the size and protection of electrical and mechanical rooms. None of that though requires an exterior that is just a box.

I think the issue of the “boxes” in the load/unload area at POP is being way overblown...99% of the people who get on or off at the station will never notice said “boxes”, let alone complain about the placement of them.
So? Many people won’t even notice that the stations are different. Many people don’t even notice the different lands. Based on what the “average guest“ supposedly does and does not care about regional amusement parks would be doing much bigger business.

And the plain coloured buildings make the architectural elements of the roof and supports stand out more. If you consciously noticed the building paint job then you wouldn’t see the awesome roof structure.
Paint is not the only way the rooms could have been handled.

SteveAZee

That might be the longest sentence ever formed by mankind.
“There was a wisteria vine blooming for the second time that summer on a wooden trellis before one window, into which sparrows came now and then in random gusts, making a dry vivid dusty sound before going away: and opposite Quentin, Miss Coldfield in the eternal black which she had worn for forty-three years now, whether for sister, father, or nothusband none knew, sitting so bolt upright in the straight hard chair that was so tall for her that her legs hung straight and rigid as if she had iron shinbones and ankles, clear of the floor with that air of impotent and static rage like children’s feet, and talking in that grim haggard amazed voice until at last listening would renege and hearing-sense self-confound and the long-dead object of her impotent yet indomitable frustration would appear, as though by outraged recapitulation evoked, quiet inattentive and harmless, out of the biding and dreamy and victorious dust.” — Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner

JayKZ

I have often said this, but it's worth repeating, Disney parks contains 1000's of details that the guests may not consciously notice, but it is the combination of all the details that make Disney parks what they are and set them apartt from their competitors.
Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that in the early stages of this thread, the general consensus was that all the Skyliner stations were going to look hideous, and destroy the entire look of the surrounding areas. Now we're complaining that the essential, but unthemed and all-too-plain equipment and control rooms are ruining an otherwise beautiful station. Riiight.

SLUSHIE

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that in the early stages of this thread, the general consensus was that all the Skyliner stations were going to look hideous, and destroy the entire look of the surrounding areas. Now we're complaining that the essential, but unthemed and all-too-plain equipment and control rooms are ruining an otherwise beautiful station. Riiight.

It is also the most plain station that is now apparently thought to be the best looking.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

"We" are not complaining about anything, Individuals are complaining about things. I also don't think there was "general consensus" that stations would look bad. It should come as no surprised that different people have different views on things, or that an individual's view on something can change.

Goofyernmost

I just want to say that ever since the title of this thread has been "Every Possible What If.......? Has Been Discussed.", that I've been a bastion of maturity and didn't take it as some kind of challenge to take the whole heat/fart/death/BO/what if it breaks down over a taco truck and I have to pee really badly and then in order to avoid having my bladder burst I bust the window open with my little break window in case the car falls into a lake hammer and then make tinkle rain which then hits the taco truck and the owner clearly sees my face and even though I was in great physical pain both the taco truck owner and Disney (with regards to gondola cabin damage) so severely out lawyer me that I spend the rest of my life destitute and in a gutter ala my famous Dame Judy Dench former boyfriend character from back when she became the voice of SSE. So, for those of you looking for silver linings in these days of high Disney internetz drama, you can appreciate that.
Well, yea.... of course! :)

truecoat

"We" are not complaining about anything, Individuals are complaining about things. I also don't think there was "general consensus" that stations would look bad. It should come as no surprised that different people have different views on things, or that an individual's view on something can change.

I think it was from @marni1971 saying the stations weren't what they could have been. Sometimes that can be a game of telephone and turn into hideous. I'm just guessing though.

lazyboy97o

The other stations are poorly designed.

It is also the most plain station that is now apparently thought to be the best looking.
Sometimes “Less is more.”

KYmickey

It does beg the question why there? Perhaps Dopplemayr recommended or insisted they be located within a station because of the equipment they house?
It's quite possible that they location is mandated because of safety concerns. Many codes especially electrical require that certain parts of the control equipment be within a certain distance from the equipment itself.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Pretty sure the likes of Jane Austen wrote a whole page in one sentence. Punctuation marks like commas, colons and semi colons were used where we would now use full stops / periods.

Fun fact, Jane Austen has consistently been “failed” in automated script marking trials.
Just goes to show that one person's "literature" is another person's endless drivel...

eddie104

Couldn't have said it better myself. 🤣

MinnieWaffles

Will the Skyliner have its own set of trading cards like the monorail and buses? I liked collecting the monorail cards, think I have all the monorail colour cards now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom