News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

note2001

I can't believe that it looks as though they aren't even getting a paint scheme.
The beige colour at least means the blue roof and yellow supports pop-out. If you painted the buildings in stripes or something it would distract from the other elements.
I agree with Inc here. The jarring straight edges of the boxes could be softened with a carefully planned paint job to compliment the roof and supports. Even a subtle wave pattern with corners painted to blend in would make a huge difference. I can't see them allowing this to stay as is. Disney has to be coming back to this to fix soon, but perhaps they need to wait for the art department to address it.

Jon81uk

I agree with Inc here. The jarring straight edges of the boxes could be softened with a carefully planned paint job to compliment the roof and supports. Even a subtle wave pattern with corners painted to blend in would make a huge difference. I can't see them allowing this to stay as is. Disney has to be coming back to this to fix soon, but perhaps they need to wait for the art department to address it.

It looks like the final product to me. Other option of course would have been to build the walls of the facility buildings all the way to the roof.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It does beg the question why there? Perhaps Dopplemayr recommended or insisted they be located within a station because of the equipment they house?

It's possible that due to the design of the equipment that there is limit to how far away these rooms can be without getting into significant re-design cost. One of the rooms also has a window facing the platform which I assume is some sort of control room so it wouldn't make sense to have that further away.

Monorail_Orange

It's possible that due to the design of the equipment that there is limit to how far away these rooms can be without getting into significant re-design cost. One of the rooms also has a window facing the platform which I assume is some sort of control room so it wouldn't make sense to have that further away.
This is exactly my thinking. Either that, or in some cases, even a re-design may still result in decreased effectiveness/function/reliability...even if we disregard the potential window/control room aspect.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I just want to say that ever since the title of this thread has been "Every Possible What If.......? Has Been Discussed.", that I've been a bastion of maturity and didn't take it as some kind of challenge to take the whole heat/fart/death/BO/what if it breaks down over a taco truck and I have to pee really badly and then in order to avoid having my bladder burst I bust the window open with my little break window in case the car falls into a lake hammer and then make tinkle rain which then hits the taco truck and the owner clearly sees my face and even though I was in great physical pain both the taco truck owner and Disney (with regards to gondola cabin damage) so severely out lawyer me that I spend the rest of my life destitute and in a gutter ala my famous Dame Judy Dench former boyfriend character from back when she became the voice of SSE. So, for those of you looking for silver linings in these days of high Disney internetz drama, you can appreciate that.

Last edited:

Creathir

I just want to say that ever since the title of this thread has been "Every Possible What If.......? Has Been Discussed.", that I've been a bastion of maturity and didn't take it as some kind of challenge to take the whole heat/fart/death/BO/what if it breaks down over a taco truck and I have to pee really badly and then in order to avoid having my bladder burst I bust the window open with my little break window in case the car falls into a lake hammer and then make tinkle rain which then hits the taco truck and the owner clearly sees my face and even though I was in great physical pain both the taco truck owner and Disney (with regards to gondola cabin damage) so severely out lawyer me that I spend the rest of my life destitute and in a gutter ala my famous Dame Judy Dench former boyfriend character from back she became the voice of SSE. So, far those of you looking for silver linings in these days of high Disney internetz drama, you can appreciate that.
That might be the longest sentence ever formed by mankind.

Monorail_Orange

I think the issue of the “boxes” in the load/unload area at POP is being way overblown...99% of the people who get on or off at the station will never notice said “boxes”, let alone complain about the placement of them.
Sure, and 99% of people currently riding Expedition Everest have no idea the Yeti used to move...so i guess it need not be fixed either. No need for quality anymore, "good enough" is just that. That whole "Disney Difference" thing was way to much cost on the books. (/sarcasm off)

Edit to clarify: There really is no analogy between these boxes and the Yeti, but I am primarily reacting to the overall direction that many projects seem to be taking anymore. There may be a legitimate reason the boxes are where they are, and could not have been practically relocated, but still, they do intrude on the otherwise graceful appearance of this station.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the issue of the “boxes” in the load/unload area at POP is being way overblown...99% of the people who get on or off at the station will never notice said “boxes”, let alone complain about the placement of them.

I have often said this, but it's worth repeating, Disney parks contains 1000's of details that the guests may not consciously notice, but it is the combination of all the details that make Disney parks what they are and set them apartt from their competitors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom