Star Wars Land vs Wizarding World

Marc Levin

Btw, you have to wonder if the academy will stay open...they shut it down in DL...

I was pretty surprised it was still open (and free!) last time we went, TBH.

All I can figure is that somehow the execs haven't noticed that they're not charging money for it or someone high up has an emotional attachment to it. It's weird that it's free given how much they monetise everything else.

BoarderPhreak

From my understanding (from reading about it, hopefully I'll get back to Disney to ride it one of these days) MF:SR is more like Mission Space with a Star Tours coat of paint.
MS is a multi-arm centrifuge, whereas ST is stationary/hydraulic. Both rides work in conjunction with screen(s) to put the simulated motion in context. As I understand it, MF:SR is more the latter?

🙄🙄

drizgirl

All I can figure is that somehow the execs haven't noticed that they're not charging money for it or someone high up has an emotional attachment to it. It's weird that it's free given how much they monetise everything else.
"Free"???? :cautious:

Marc Levin

MS is a multi-arm centrifuge, whereas ST is stationary/hydraulic. Both rides work in conjunction with screen(s) to put the simulated motion in context. As I understand it, MF:SR is more the latter?

🙄🙄

I was more thinking about the "you're the commander/navigator/whatever so you have to press this button when it lights up" aspect. You're no doubt right about the ride mechanics.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster

Well it was kinda shoe horned into DL, it has a better committed station in HS.

Jon81uk

They already have that in Hollywood Studios.

It's called "Jedi Training", and literally makes kids feel like a Jedi for half an hour, including letting them fight Darth Vader with a light sabre one on one, and is actually free to sign-up for.

It's been going for decades.

and the reviewer wouldn't be happy as the training academy experience couldn't happen in Galaxy's Edge. Why would Vader just walk on stage and happily fight? It works as a theme park stage show, but not in an immersive land. They could do something where you fight other things/people, similar to Luke being trained by Yoda but the current Jedi Training is very much a theme park stage show.

OG Runner

This is of course true, but I can't help but hope that someone in the chain of people designing and approving these things actually at some point said something like "wouldn't it be cool if".

Maybe I'm being naive, but the people with the creative energy to actually implement these projects must get some enjoyment out of it that goes being monetary concerns.

Exactly correct and the cooler the attraction, the more people that want to come to it, and the more money they will spend.

NickMaio

I was very disappointed by the Hogsmeade area at Universal. It's tiny and has very little in it -- and I think they made a huge mistake putting the ride inside Hogwarts. I know people absolutely love the ride (I hated it because it gave me the worst motion sickness I've ever had, even after taking a Dramamine -- I thought I was going to throw up for a good 30-45 minutes afterwards, and it also hurt my GF's neck), but they could have put it somewhere else or designed the area differently. It was a seriously missed opportunity to not have a bigger Hogwarts you could explore, visiting the different classrooms, having a restaurant in the Great Hall, etc.

Diagon Alley, on the other hand, is tremendous. The way it's completely hidden from anywhere else in the park and that you have to go through a little alley and then it opens up in front of you is just wonderful.
It is tiny because it is built to scale.......it is almost a full scale replica from the film sets. To give people the true Potter experience.
The size was done on purpose.....personally I love the Potter Lands....nothing that WDW has done yet has come close for us.

UNCgolf

It is tiny because it is built to scale.......it is almost a full scale replica from the film sets. To give people the true Potter experience.
The size was done on purpose.....personally I love the Potter Lands....nothing that WDW has done yet has come close for us.

That still doesn't excuse the decision to barely feature actual Hogwarts at all (i.e. the place that the vast majority of the books and films take place, and with numerous interesting locations). Walking through a handful of locations in the queue for the literally sickening Forbidden Journey ride (a ride I will NEVER get on again) doesn't cut it.

As I said, though, Diagon Alley is a masterpiece.

Marc Levin

That still doesn't excuse the decision to barely feature actual Hogwarts at all (i.e. the place that the vast majority of the books and films take place, and with numerous interesting locations). Walking through a handful of locations in the queue for the literally sickening Forbidden Journey ride (a ride I will NEVER get on again) doesn't cut it.

As I said, though, Diagon Alley is a masterpiece.

Yeah, I was surprised by this. I would have thought you'd be able to walk around a themed interior of it, or they'd at least have something like CRT in the Magic Kingdom.

Definitely seems like an oversight.

General Mayhem

Yeah, I was surprised by this. I would have thought you'd be able to walk around a themed interior of it, or they'd at least have something like CRT in the Magic Kingdom.

Definitely seems like an oversight.
Why don't you get to actually explore the full locations from Beast's Castle? Prince Eric's Castle? Cinderella's Castle? Sleeping Beauty Castle? Neverland? Seems like an oversight..........

chimchimcheree

I've been to DL's SW:GE and to *early* WWoHP. Like, within a year of its opening. I love both Potter and SW, but SW has the edge. I think counting out SW:GE before it's had a chance to grow and accumulate more rides, like WWoHP has done over the years, is a bit short-sighted. (Should Rise of the Resistance have been open? YES.) But I was underwhelmed by WWoHP when we visited; I haven't been since 2011 and everyone I've spoken to says it's only improved since opening. I'm optimistic that SW:GE will grow.

I was at Animal Kingdom in 1999. This is what SW:GE reminds me of. Slow start, but plenty of potential and room for growth.

General Mayhem

I've been to DL's SW:GE and to *early* WWoHP. Like, within a year of its opening. I love both Potter and SW, but SW has the edge. I think counting out SW:GE before it's had a chance to grow and accumulate more rides, like WWoHP has done over the years, is a bit short-sighted. (Should Rise of the Resistance have been open? YES.) But I was underwhelmed by WWoHP when we visited; I haven't been since 2011 and everyone I've spoken to says it's only improved since opening. I'm optimistic that SW:GE will grow.

I was at Animal Kingdom in 1999. This is what SW:GE reminds me of. Slow start, but plenty of potential and room for growth.
There are little to no expansion plots for both lands that have been constructed. Also based on California's drop in attendance this might be all that we get at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom