News Tomorrowland love

brihow

My personal preference (which is worth exactly $0.00) would be to see Tomorrowland return to a retro-futuristic World's Fair aesthetic (albeit with an all-electric Tomorrowland Speedway), and EPCOT's Future World showcase a 21st-century vision of the future. Magic Kingdom seems best suited to comforting nostalgia.

I think this would also be the smartest decision, as it would have a timeless/nostalgia feel that would also compliment the rest of the park nicely. I would love going back to the 60's vision of what the future would be.

The glaring problem with these ideas is that it will make Tron stick out even more.

sedati

How's the song go? "There's a great big beautiful yesterday?"
Tomorrowland needs to move forward. Looking back, too much of old Tomorrowland felt like this:

hauntology

I might just be saying this because I'm invested in its revival but Tomorrowland should go for a Y2K aesthetic 90s futurism look if it wants to still be retro yet futuristic. Glossy, blobby, shiny and trendy all at once in a way people will love to take photos of. It would mix with the 60s revival thing they're bringing back rather well too.

All I want is for Cosmic Rays to get redone so that Sonny Eclipse truly has an amazing crowd to sing to. It's so drab and empty in there besides him.

brihow

I might just be saying this because I'm invested in its revival but Tomorrowland should go for a Y2K aesthetic 90s futurism look if it wants to still be retro yet futuristic. Glossy, blobby, shiny and trendy all at once in a way people will love to take photos of. It would mix with the 60s revival thing they're bringing back rather well too.

I dont' know if I'm interpreting it wrong, but I'm kind of intrigued by this and agree it could be a big hit with the 'instagram generation'.

Attachments

• y2k-3.jpg
    y2k-3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 257
  • y2k.jpeg
    y2k.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 254
  • y2k-2.jpeg
    y2k-2.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

Dizknee_Phreek

This is what Future World should look like, IMO.
Yes!!! This! This is how I would be ok with a FW overhaul. The whole "this is what the future may look like" theme has long been dead. Instead turn it into a conservation type of thing. What is being done and/or what can WE do in our own homes to conserve and preserve our planet? The WS part can exhibit different cultures in a "this is what we are preserving" aspect, while FW shows us how we do that going forward. Keeps the educational aspect that Epcot was known for, while looking to the future in a different way.

KikoKea

I love the vignettes as you exit SM, and I have to pause by the last oneof the futuristic lounge every time. I would love to see TL done in a serious or even Jetson-like theme. Tron could fit in easily, as would most attractions. The go carts might need an update, or better yet be taken out altogether and a amazing entrance area put in with a great water feature....and the Astro Orbiter lights all working and CoP updated and cool effects added here and there...and- but there I go dreaming again. Guess we should be thankful for the new paint job.:rolleyes:

tirian

I love the vignettes as you exit SM, and I have to pause by the last oneof the futuristic lounge every time. I would love to see TL done in a serious or even Jetson-like theme. Tron could fit in easily, as would most attractions. The go carts might need an update, or better yet be taken out altogether and a amazing entrance area put in with a great water feature....and the Astro Orbiter lights all working and CoP updated and cool effects added here and there...and- but there I go dreaming again. Guess we should be thankful for the new paint job.:rolleyes:

Folks, that was exactly what WDI did with TL ‘94. If the budget had been approved to complete the land beyond the Astro Orbitor, and if Disney has stuck to the thematic storyline instead of shoehorning in Buzz, Stitch, and Monsters, the TL at WDW would still be the best one.

Watch one of the tribute vids @marni1971 made; start around the 32:00 mark...

hauntology

I dont' know if I'm interpreting it wrong, but I'm kind of intrigued by this and agree it could be a big hit with the 'instagram generation'.

YES exactly that look. I'm writing my thesis on this aesthetic and researching at the moment, along with the early history of the World Wide Web, etc. There are ways to use this look without referencing outdated net culture too.

Could really see the buildings housing what used to be Stich/Monster's Inc Laugh Floor benefit from that look. It's such an optimistic and fresh look and I really wish it would be employed, especially when it had been so popular at the time. A lot of Imagineers do love the sort of steampunk/fifties ornamentation elements, but I really prefer the space age sleek looks myself.

The plus side of this look is that anything like technical details (like say, seeing the wiring of a neon sign, etc) is obscured due to its blobbiness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom