Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

MrPromey

It is a luxury to not have to wait in line. I assume a VIP monorail line for reserved cars for the wealthy on the monorail would be unpalatable to most?

I do pay premium for the right to walk to a theme park. See also Contemporary, Yacht, Beach, and BoardWalk, which command a premium. As does Grand California, the closest hotels at DLP, and the hotels at Universal that don’t require a bus. Humans have legs and any hotel within a mile of a park will be accessible more quickly on foot than any other option. This is even more acutely the case at times where peak demand is placed on the transportation system.

It is a luxury to not have to wait in line. I assume a VIP monorail line for reserved cars for the wealthy on the monorail would be unpalatable to most?

That's kind of what the entire hotel monorail line originally was... Just close your eyes and imagine back in the day when it only served the Polly and contemporary and even, after adding the GF, it still was pretty nice. Then some time after extra towers and wings began being added, it went from being the nice ride to the one where you could count on standing room only pretty much all of the time if you were getting on at the GF as the last stop.

They can solve capacity problems for All Stars and Pop Century by adding extra buses at peak time. A shame they can't do something similar for premium guests.

As for the deluxe Epcot resorts, that entrance is a nice short-cut in but I feel bad for guests who miss out on the main entrance for their first visit and instead, just get sort of injected into the middle of the back.

Oh, and thanks for the anatomy lesson - didn't realize I was using legs to walk around the parks all day! ;)

Anyway, glad you're excited about this new luxury express option!*

*I know that sounds like pure sarcasm but it's honestly a 50/50 split. It takes nothing away from me so if you'll be enjoying your late night walks back to your room, I'm happy for you. Despite having two legs, myself, the miles I walk circling the parks with my family to get to fastpass times is enough for me.

Last edited:

MrPromey

How did they do this? Is there any talk of trying to actually limit the resort line to resort guests again? That would certainly increase the appeal of staying in those resorts.

I do wonder how many more guests are on the line because of DVC, though. The Polynesian only added bungalows, which even all full is only 160 people. Bay Lake Tower is the biggest. I've never stayed there, but I always hear how much owners like to walk to and from MK. I guess it mostly is Grand Floridian owners inconvenienced by crowded monorails, but it's at least one of (maybe the) smallest DVC resorts.

Oh, they lied.

Cast members used to stand at the entrance during closing time when the express line was backed up and announce that the resort monorails ONLY stopped at the hotels at this time of night and would not stop at the Ticket and Transportation Center, also, that you'd be required to show your room card on exit at your resort.

There were fewer people getting on-and-off at the hotels back then, too though.

Of course, I'm talking 20 years ago but good thing Disney's been staying ahead of these issues, right? ;)

I find it funny that it's been so bad for so long that people today think it's crazy-talk to even imagine a scenario where the hotel line could be fast, convenient, and efficient.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh, they lied.

Cast members used to stand at the entrance during closing time when the express line was backed up and announce that the Monorails ONLY stopped at the hotels at this time of night and would not stop at the Ticket and Transportation Center. Also, that you would be required to show your room card on exit at your hotel.

There were fewer people getting on-and-off at the hotels back then, too though... of course, I'm talking 20 years ago but good thing Disney's been staying ahead of these issues, right? ;)
At this point, I don't think anyone in operations has any desire to limit who rides which monorail after the fireworks dump.

While Walt's idea of making guests take a journey across the 7 Seas Lagoon to get to MK gets a 10 for creativity, it gets a firm 0 for practicality. The existing transportations systems simply can not handle the volume of guests needing to make that journey at park close.

MrPromey

At this point, I don't think anyone in operations has any desire to limit who rides which monorail after the fireworks dump.

Which is a shame because, as I'm sure you know, that convenience was once one of the big selling points for the resorts on the Monorail line after Disney started building out additional rooms around property.

It feels like people are still paying for that "luxury" even if it really isn't one, anymore.

While Walt's idea of making guests take a journey across the 7 Seas Lagoon to get to MK gets a 10 for creativity, it gets a firm 0 for practicality. The existing transportations systems simply can not handle the volume of guests needing to make that journey at park close.

Totally agree although it's really only an inconvenience today for people parked at the TTC and in a crule twist of fate, the people staying at the resorts on the monorail line.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't know why anyone in their right mind wants to follow the huge crowd out right after the fireworks. We never have. We always hang around to let the plebes push and shove their way out, and then we leisurely walk to the monorail about 45 minutes later, and it's not crowded at all.

ImperfectPixie

I don't know why anyone in their right mind wants to follow the huge crowd out right after the fireworks. We never have. We always hang around to let the plebes push and shove their way out, and then we leisurely walk to the monorail about 45 minutes later, and it's not crowded at all.
That's what we do, too...which is funny because at home hubby forgets to do that and we end up stuck in miles of traffic after the 4th of July fireworks! :joyfull:

Gringrinngghost

One thing too that's been a hamper in my opinion was when they cut the hours down to one hour after park close for the monorail. Remember when the monorails would say open 90mn after the parks closed for EMH, of If my memory is correct until 2am back like 14 years ago. The bridge whilst its a nice and long awaited edition, something tells me that this was literally their answer to "reduce" the crowds for the monorails to begin with, and I honestly don't expect it to. It's just that with the management, they holding their hand over the candle because they think the trick is not minding.

Monorail_Red_77

We usually do this as well.
However, Disney had an extra card up their sleeve on my last visit. MK closed at 10pm. So as I was making my way to Mainstreet to hang around. I noticed they were doing the Once Upon a Time Castle Projection. After. Park. Close. Ugh!! so then at 10:30 when everyone was already at the Hub, they dumped out of the park all at once. Took me over an hour to get back to TTC. I decided not to hang at Mainstreet any longer since it was not enjoyable. all the shops were packed. It was just a reminder as to why I normally stay in the park as long as possible.

rudyjr13

Should be pretty easy these days to limit who is allowed on the resort monorail. Throw a couple Fastpass scanners at the bottom of the ramp and 2 cast members...you touch your band to it...green = you go up ramp, red = go to express monorail or ferry. As a frequent monorail resort customer I welcome this and the walkway.

nickys

Premium Member
Should be pretty easy these days to limit who is allowed on the resort monorail. Throw a couple Fastpass scanners at the bottom of the ramp and 2 cast members...you touch your band to it...green = you go up ramp, red = go to express monorail or ferry. As a frequent monorail resort customer I welcome this and the walkway.

After the fireworks, perhaps. But at other times, why would they want to stop people visiting the resorts? In fact even after the fireworks, depending on the time of them, some of the lounges could be open. Any DVC Member could head over to TOTWL. You could have a Pirates and Pals cruise booked which won’t show up on MDE. Plenty of legitimate reasons that people want to visit the monorail resorts.

The best way would be to actually not have the resort monorail stop at the TTC after park close. But even that could be an issue if people want to transfer to Epcot for an after hours event.

Ripken10

It would be more complicated then that. They want to encourage people to go to those resorts for meals. I also believe that DVC members are not required to state all individuals that are in their room. DVC members can also "hop" between DVC resorts, so they all would need to be allowed to ride the monorail along with their guests. Disney also has their Christmas celebrations at each resort that pull in people to see them, bringing in revenue. By limiting who rides the monorail, less people will be able to buy gingerbread at the grand Floridian.

It just doesn't benefit Disney to limit who can ride the monorail. They would lose more revenue then they would gain by any hypothetical extra bookings because of a less crowded monorail servicing those resorts.

rudyjr13

It would be more complicated then that. They want to encourage people to go to those resorts for meals. I also believe that DVC members are not required to state all individuals that are in their room. DVC members can also "hop" between DVC resorts, so they all would need to be allowed to ride the monorail along with their guests. Disney also has their Christmas celebrations at each resort that pull in people to see them, bringing in revenue. By limiting who rides the monorail, less people will be able to buy gingerbread at the grand Floridian.

It just doesn't benefit Disney to limit who can ride the monorail. They would lose more revenue then they would gain by any hypothetical extra bookings because of a less crowded monorail servicing those resorts.

Again, if you have an ADR it should be linked to your band. But yes I see why they wouldn't want to lock people out of going to the hotels for many reasons. Which is probably why we are getting a bridge. In March I would have gladly taken the bridge the one night at park close instead of waiting for the monorail.

Ray B

Does anyone know how long the walk will be from the MK to the TTC once this bridge is built? There have been many times when the monorails are down and the ferry line is insane that I have thought about walking.

ToTBellHop

Does anyone know how long the walk will be from the MK to the TTC once this bridge is built? There have been many times when the monorails are down and the ferry line is insane that I have thought about walking.
About 2 miles. During the 7 summer months, a Burial at (Seven) Sea(s Lagoon) Premium Dessert Party will be in offer for those who perish. A similar Anna & Elsa’s parents-themed event will be available once the Skyliner opens.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

From the heart of Grand Floridian to the front gate of Magic Kingdom is essentially exactly 4000 ft long (give or take a few feet). "Stolling" (2 mph), that would be a 23 minute walk, "Moderate Walking" (3 mph) that would be a 15 minute walk, and "brisk walking" (4 mph) that would be a 12 minute walk.

Cutting a path through Grand Floridian and through Poly, I measure the path from the front gate of the Magic Kingdom to the exit ramp of the monorails at the TTC at 1.68 miles. "Stolling" (2 mph), that would be a 50 minute walk, "Moderate Walking" (3 mph) that would be a 34 minute walk, and "brisk walking" (4 mph) that would be a 25 minute walk.

Club Cooloholic

I would never want to see this because it would annoy the heck out of my walks.. but once that bridge is open...couldn't you see a little tram going up and down the walkway lol...or maybe minni minnie vans(golf carts) for paying guests lol

ToTBellHop

From the heart of Grand Floridian to the front gate of Magic Kingdom is essentially exactly 4000 ft long (give or take a few feet). "Stolling" (2 mph), that would be a 23 minute walk, "Moderate Walking" (3 mph) that would be a 15 minute walk, and "brisk walking" (4 mph) that would be a 12 minute walk.

Cutting a path through Grand Floridian and through Poly, I measure the path from the front gate of the Magic Kingdom to the exit ramp of the monorails at the TTC at 1.68 miles. "Stolling" (2 mph), that would be a 50 minute walk, "Moderate Walking" (3 mph) that would be a 34 minute walk, and "brisk walking" (4 mph) that would be a 25 minute walk.
In January, it would be quite enjoyable with a beverage in hand. Beautiful views. Somewhat less in July when you’d have sweaty sunscreen in your eyes 4 minutes in and be stuck in a thunderstorm 20 min later. It’s happened once or twice on the DHS to Epcot wall for us. Changes of socks are clutch.

rudyjr13

Just to add to this. From the MK gates to the DVC building, I'm getting about 2x as far as the walk from the BLT lobby. I've done the BLT walk many times and it's around 10 minutes so it should be about 20 minutes give or take a few. In my opinion if you were walking to the closest building Sago Cay, it would shave off 1200 feet from the DVC building or 5 minutes (10 mins from BLT at about 2500 feet). Walking to the DVC is definitely less appealing than walking to BLT but again I'll take that walk 9 out of 10 times over waiting on that monorail ramp, cramming into a monorail, and stopping 3 times before getting to the Grand.

Anyone think a new GF DVC tower is coming north of the business center? Sure would fit nicely along the existing pathway and is more economical than adding a new resort there. Not much further of a walk to monorail and food than the existing DVC. Pool distance could be an issue.

rowrbazzle

I like that Disney gives you lots of options for getting to and from the monorail resorts - two monorails, a big boat, a small boat, and now walking to (at least) 2 of the 3 resorts. Anything else they could add?

We rarely run into crowding issues on the monorail. We have small kids so we don't typically stay until park close, which I'm sure helps. But even when we do there are alternatives. An evening walk around the Seven Seas Lagoon doesn't sound too bad. Plus, the monorail hotels are so close that there really isn't the need to get out right away. You could wait 20 minutes to leave the park and still be back pretty quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom