Fop restraints painful for kids

PeoplemoverTTA

I think it's over the top to call them painful. I've ridden this thing 20-30 times and at best they are slightly tight depending on your position.

Literally no idea how they could cause any issue breathing or pain, even on a child.

I could be wrong.

When we rode FOP last August, the CM pushed down my restraint very hard. My husband is slim, and was on blood thinners at the time (we explained this to the CM outside and asked about jostling, etc, and we’re assured it was “more like Soarin than Star Tours). As I was about to say, “you can’t push it down like that on my husband,” it was too late. I watched the CM slam the restraint (truly not trying to be dramatic, but that’s what it was), and heard my husband cry out in pain.

The CM walked away without even asking if he was okay. Afterward, we approached the CM to explain that she should be more careful. My husband said, “you really hurt me.” She just walked away.

If she had pushed it up snug, that’s one thing, but she slammed it hard. My husband had a bruise and was throbbing in pain at the site so we went to GR to let them know so this wouldn’t happen again. They said flat out that is NOT protocol, and insisted they call paramedics for my husband. We made it clear we weren’t trying to be difficult, but didn’t want this to happen to someone else.

Ricky Spanish

I think this sums it all up...
image.jpeg

ninjaprincesst

As others have stated it must be a personal thing. I am "Pooh" sized and had no issues at all, if not for the sound of the restraints clicking in place I would not have known they were there (and I have nerve damage in my back caused by a botched attempt at an epidural when I had my daughter and felt nothing). My Daughter is tall and skinny she had no issues.

Chef Mickey

You are ;)

I have issues with my spine which relates to muscular issues as well as just skeletal issues. If you push too hard on part of my back, it's painful. Also makes it harder to breathe.

Granted my 11yo is my size so I am a small adult, but as I posted I had issues with them. Different sizes have different issues with the ride.

I assure you, my experience was not exaggerated. It hurt quite a lot being in that position.
Honestly, you probably shouldn't ride if you have spine issues that are serious enough to hurt from the restraints on FOP.

correcaminos

You have to press your knees//calves inward to feel it. I think most people have their knees splayed out too wide to really feel it the entire time.
My son cannot feel it either. I think it's a short person thing really
Well there's your problem...
Maybe this isn't for you then.
Stop trying to ride things that can you (in particular, you) so much pain. There is no reason for a thread about people that can't swim drowning when they get into a hotel pool.

If you have issues that will cause you pain, talk to your doctor. Maybe they can help more than a Disney fan site. Or maybe they will give you the same advice as we are; don't ride FOP.
I have been dealing with this since childhood, so what makes you think that I wouldn't be talking to a doctor about anything? Sometimes I swear people online think they know better than the poster.
Again I know what I can ride and what I can't. I can ride this without any pain at all if the cast member isn't overzealous with pushing into hard on the back and pressing things up too much. You guys really just can't seem to understand that maybe a different sized person can feel something differently. Have a nice day all.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
As was seat testing. Not my fault I don't have extra padding and am short so when that thing gets shoved in too hard I feel it.

I'm out. Enjoy your know it all medical advice people

Strictly quibbling as you don't know the amount of force that the cast !members are trained and required to use ensuring that the restraints are properly secured.

My four foot nine inch tall 82 year old mother didn't have any issues on FoP with the restraint system.

correcaminos

Strictly quibbling as you don't know the amount of force that the cast !members are trained and required to use ensuring that the restraints are properly secured.

My four foot nine inch tall 82 year old mother didn't have any issues on FoP with the restraint system.
I didn't either the first few times. Nor the last few times. Just in between where I learned how to sit as a short and slender person. I also spoke with cast members more than once about this specific ride and how restraints are done. This was prior to getting on the ride too. Assumptions only do one thing, which you've done too much with me.

Kingoglow

Not my fault I don't have extra padding and am short so when that thing gets shoved in too hard I feel it.

Strictly speaking, this isn't our fault either. Or Disney's. It is probably on you the most though... regardless, there is nothing that anyone can do because this is a very personal issue that isn't affecting other people the same way.

I am sorry that you cannot ride FOP (at least, I hope that you stop riding it, for your sake).

jaklgreen

The OP mentioned it hurting her kids so I replied stating I can see why. I'm kid sized after all and not big all around. If you scoot too far forward the ride operators can sometimes push too hard (for some they have to so maybe they need to just be more cautious than fast) and that pushes you right into the padding in the front. That can push into your diaphragm easily making it uncomfortable, painful, or whatever when shorter.

I can see this happening. We are all different shapes and sizes and something that is comfortable for some is painful for others. My "girls" are on the bigger side and they get in the way of many restraints. Maybe contacting Disney and notifying them of this issue so that the cast members can be trained to check with people if the restraints are comfortable. This is also a good reminder to people to make sure that they speak up if something is hurting them and to make sure that their kids are also comfortable. Rides should be fun, not painful. I don't know why some people are giving you are hard time over this. I guess they are lucky that they are the perfect shape and size to where things don't bother them.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Are CM "stapling" riders now? I feel like when I rode in 2017, CMs really just checked the restraint to make sure it was locked but never pushed on it in anyway to further tighten it. My six year old (at the time) rode it at least 4-5 times and never expressed any sort of discomfort and I felt the same. The back restraint was basically just touching my back (not pushed against me per say). I could see where it could be less comfortable if the CMs were now actively pushing against the restraint (a term generally referred to as "stapling" in the coaster community) to further tighten the restraint after the restraint had engaged.

Orangeanna

Original Poster
Who said I cannot ride? I HAVE SPOKEN WITH MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS AND CAN RIDE. I'm not going to share all my personal medical history but let's just say most rides are great for me to be on. I know my limits and know what can be done. A super smooth simulator isn't even on my list of no gos. Seriously this ride is super tame in that regard. More so than Star Tours which I can do.

I hate shouting but how many times must one say it to make it utterly clear. Stop armchair diagnosing people who you do not know at all.

To explain one last time, I had 2 times out of many that they did the restraints hard or tight. The last time I just told the CM to readjust and he did. This ride is not a problem for me at all otherwise. I'm not sure how to make that any more clear to you guys. I supposed it's easier to blame a stranger and saying they should get extra padding to make it better? Sorry but gaining weight isn't a good answer either.

The OP mentioned it hurting her kids so I replied stating I can see why. I'm kid sized after all and not big all around. If you scoot too far forward the ride operators can sometimes push too hard (for some they have to so maybe they need to just be more cautious than fast) and that pushes you right into the padding in the front. That can push into your diaphragm easily making it uncomfortable, painful, or whatever when shorter.

Out of many many times of riding this has happened twice. So my advice to smaller people is to make sure you are not pushed as far forward as you can so it isn't hitting the wrong parts of the body. Then it won't feel bad or hurt. It is all about size and nothing else. Next time I'll be sure to shut up about certain things instead of trying to help the OP.
Thank you. Say the op I can tell you the cm did slam it hard. Yes, my kids are short, I am too. I brace my arms and sit back so I give myself the space I need. My kids try, having ridden before, but she shoved them forward- hard. Of course I don't want them loose. I care about their safety. I also care about their inability to breathe for 4 minutes. You know what you can ride. Overzealous cm's can make a rideable attraction unbearable. That's what happened to us. And it sounds like that's what happened to you.

PeoplemoverTTA

Are CM "stapling" riders now? I feel like when I rode in 2017, CMs really just checked the restraint to make sure it was locked but never pushed on it in anyway to further tighten it. My six year old (at the time) rode it at least 4-5 times and never expressed any sort of discomfort and I felt the same. The back restraint was basically just touching my back (not pushed against me per say). I could see where it could be less comfortable if the CMs were now actively pushing against the restraint (a term generally referred to as "stapling" in the coaster community) to further tighten the restraint after the restraint had engaged.

From the responses here (and my own experience in 2018), it seems that some CMs seem to be engaging in the behavior and others aren't. From my experience with Guest Relations, I was told explicitly that it is NOT protocol for CMs to be stapling.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I did have a CM who pushed the back restraint too hard and made it uncomfortable. Since I was able to shift a bit and compensate, I didn't say anything. If I wasn't able to compensate I would most definitely have spoken up. I wasn't going to ride in minor pain.

correcaminos

I think it is hit or miss. After the first time it happened I am more aware and quicker to say. I've ridden it quite a few times since it opened (got there the week after) and I think it is just CM dependent. Some are more harsh in force than others. After talking with the CM the last time he did just make sure it was touching and not pushing in. So I don't think it's the norm, but it can happen. Most of the time they slowly bring it up to make sure it fits. I think those in a hurry slam it more so to speak.

I can see this happening. We are all different shapes and sizes and something that is comfortable for some is painful for others. My "girls" are on the bigger side and they get in the way of many restraints. Maybe contacting Disney and notifying them of this issue so that the cast members can be trained to check with people if the restraints are comfortable. This is also a good reminder to people to make sure that they speak up if something is hurting them and to make sure that their kids are also comfortable. Rides should be fun, not painful. I don't know why some people are giving you are hard time over this. I guess they are lucky that they are the perfect shape and size to where things don't bother them.

I shouldn't have let it get to me so much, or should've dealt with it differently here, but, the idea is that one should speak up or try to scoot around so you don't feel trapped in. I'm not sure it is worth notifying unless it is a regular occurrence. I'd rather not be one of those types lol but I will speak up. I encourage parents to ask kids who are too young to know to speak up before it starts too.

Thank you. Say the op I can tell you the cm did slam it hard. Yes, my kids are short, I am too. I brace my arms and sit back so I give myself the space I need. My kids try, having ridden before, but she shoved them forward- hard. Of course I don't want them loose. I care about their safety. I also care about their inability to breathe for 4 minutes. You know what you can ride. Overzealous cm's can make a rideable attraction unbearable. That's what happened to us. And it sounds like that's what happened to you.

I can believe it and I am sorry that your kids dealt with it. I get they want us to be safe but they can be gentle. Above mentioned writing in if it happens, and maybe if it does to the kids enough you should. Fortunately for me, I'm a short little fireball who can and will speak up, so I know to just tell them right away. I know for kids it's harder to speak up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom