Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ParkPeeker

Uh...considering the ride is going to open (at best) 8 months late and they had to open the land without it, not sensing he's on thin ice with that adjective.
Didn’t mean for that to sound too sarcastic, I actually like the ‘doom and gloom’ peeps. I just love the juxtaposition between the optimistic and the doom gloom in that line, and thought it was funny and kinda related to how each coast views the other. Not really trying to saying anything more

Also, I already see a defensive reply to you haha

ImperfectPixie

“being over-optimistic in an attempt to pack hotel rooms at peak Christmas rates, or waiting for the dead of winter to open what promises to be a very unreliable new ride.”

You gotta love doom and gloomer west coasters.

This article really reminds me of the critics here. Who always get a ton of hate. No buts, no being so defensive.
Quality of show is what set the Disney parks apart from every other theme park on the planet. The people who currently hold the reins were set up with a virtual money-printing machine with WDW, but their lack of understanding of WHY people love the parks the way they do is why they're cutting streetmosphere and entertainment in current lands and opening new lands without any at all - they thought they could do away with all that and that we'd still throw money at them - and these are just a piece of the decreases in quality of show. Between the new pricing structure and ridiculous increase, outsourcing of departments that could have been kept in-house to keep "show" up to par (it shouldn't take 3 phone calls to a call center and a visit to the front desk to get a refrigerator replaced, nor should a non-working refrigerator be left in rooms at all to begin with), variety and quality of food decreases (considering how many dining locations they have, the variety is pretty dismal), treating employees poorly enough that their attitude is showing while on duty, lack of updates/regular maintenance, the sheer quantity of disabled attraction effects, the lack of park capacity increases, jamming as many bodies into the parks as possible...all they're doing is watering down their product and running the risk of becoming an average theme park instead of being the world leader.

I realize that these days everything linked to a business - especially a publicly traded business - is about monetization...but they're not keeping up to the standards that were set by their own company, and that is damaging to their reputation. I don't doubt that WDW will always be among the most beautiful parks in the world, but without those little things - the random entertainment, the "going above and beyond", the "giving us what we didn't even know we wanted"...that beauty becomes very hollow.

Incomudro

Quality of show is what set the Disney parks apart from every other theme park on the planet. The people who currently hold the reins were set up with a virtual money-printing machine with WDW, but their lack of understanding of WHY people love the parks the way they do is why they're cutting streetmosphere and entertainment in current lands and opening new lands without any at all - they thought they could do away with all that and that we'd still throw money at them - and these are just a piece of the decreases in quality of show. Between the new pricing structure and ridiculous increase, outsourcing of departments that could have been kept in-house to keep "show" up to par (it shouldn't take 3 phone calls to a call center and a visit to the front desk to get a refrigerator replaced, nor should a non-working refrigerator be left in rooms at all to begin with), variety and quality of food decreases (considering how many dining locations they have, the variety is pretty dismal), treating employees poorly enough that their attitude is showing while on duty, lack of updates/regular maintenance, the sheer quantity of disabled attraction effects, the lack of park capacity increases, jamming as many bodies into the parks as possible...all they're doing is watering down their product and running the risk of becoming an average theme park instead of being the world leader.

I realize that these days everything linked to a business - especially a publicly traded business - is about monetization...but they're not keeping up to the standards that were set by their own company, and that is damaging to their reputation. I don't doubt that WDW will always be among the most beautiful parks in the world, but without those little things - the random entertainment, the "going above and beyond", the "giving us what we didn't even know we wanted"...that beauty becomes very hollow.

^^^ Great Post ^^^

ImperfectPixie

^^^ Great Post ^^^
Thank you!

I'll never forget everyone who worked at Dixie Landings knowing our names without us even introducing ourselves...or the intricate scenes Mousekeeping made every day with flowers, towels, random things from around the room, and my Mickey & Minnie bride and groom stuffies. It's such a shame upper management doesn't know what they're messing with.

Virtual Toad

The real shame is their decision to open a land that was at best half-finished. In today's world, word-of-mouth travels at light speed and so first impressions matter more than ever. Al's article puts into sharp focus just why the land feels so lifeless.

Waiting until everything was finished (and not eliminating nearly all the streetmosphere entertainment) could have ensured the land was far more successful. Maybe in the long run it will be. But in the meantime they have a lot of criticism and tepid reviews to overcome. And sadly a large part of that was totally self-inflicted.

I do hope that GE ultimately succeeds. And if it is to succeed, it has to be a themed environment people want to spend time in. I'm worried that the choice of a barren dystopian planet as a setting was a fatally-flawed design choice right out of the gate.

I was vocal in my initial criticism of Pandora as an addition to Animal Kingdom but WDI's execution of the concept resulted in a lush, welcoming environment for guests. After my first visit, I immediately posted here (and shared with others) how the execution of the land won me over as an armchair critic and as a guest.

I'm willing to praise Disney when they exceed expectations, and I did give GE a chance with an open mind (just as I did for Pandora at AK) -- but GE in its current state is just not an environment I want to spend time in. Others may disagree and that's fine, but I sincerely hope the world leader in themed entertainment did not handicap the future prospects for this land by making a disastrous choice for its setting.

Incomudro

Thank you!

I'll never forget everyone who worked at Dixie Landings knowing our names without us even introducing ourselves...or the intricate scenes Mousekeeping made every day with flowers, towels, random things from around the room, and my Mickey & Minnie bride and groom stuffies. It's such a shame upper management doesn't know what they're messing with.

Dixie Landings, I stayed there with my wife when my friend Nicky got married at Grand Floridian.
Upper management could use a refresher course on what makes a Disney Stay feel magical.

Last edited:

TP2000

DHS has more than enough room to add that C-ticket

The same area exists in Disneyland too, the C Ticket schematic was overlaid onto the Disneyland map in that Miceage article.

But the point being made was that it will be nearly impossible, if not bring the land to a halt and chop it up into Constructionland for two years, to put the C Ticket back.

A ride would be great, but if capacity issues were part of the problem - just build one of those creatures and have it walk around with cast members riding it.
People would marvel at it.

Now that's a great idea that could still work in the land! Mr. Chapek would never allow that type of expenditure though. :(

Last edited:

Mainahman

In seriousness though ill be there the 9th of september at rope drop, not for GE, but because we need our toy story mania fix while were there. Hoping to get some photos of the land, and see what its all about.

ToTBellHop

Pesky spies must of done it. In seriousness though ill be there the 9th of september at rope drop, not for GE, but because we need our toy story mania fix while were there. Hoping to get some photos of the land, and see what its all about.
Silly, you can already find your opinion of SWGE online!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
“being over-optimistic in an attempt to pack hotel rooms at peak Christmas rates, or waiting for the dead of winter to open what promises to be a very unreliable new ride.”

You gotta love doom and gloomer west coasters.

This article really reminds me of the critics here. Who always get a ton of hate. No buts, no being so defensive.

Do you know who wrote that article? Not exactly a “doom and gloomer”, just one of the most respected online Disney writers we’ve ever had. Not trying to sound like a jerk, apologies if it comes off that way.

doctornick

The loss of the C-Ticket family friendly ride is a real bummer. I really feel like the land is lacking something for the younglings under 40" tall. And that map of the track seems like it'd make total sense with the DHS version as well.

It's interesting that this C-ticket in DHS would have actually made for a tunnel entrance from TSL into SW:GE.

And obviously DHS could have benefited from all the rides it could get. It does seem the capacity would have been horrid though, so FP+ probably wouldn't ever be an option and many guests would be unhappy if it had super long waits but small payoff.

Still, having some sort of (minor) third ride would probably make a big difference. Hopefully, that expansion plot is used sooner rather than later...

doctornick

Most of this would not take much to do. And I am now almost expecting that they do a lot of this...once RotR opens.

3 months until the planned opening in DHS... that really is plenty of time to get a few shows up and running as well as put in some puppeteered droids. I mean, they already have experience with that sort of thing with PUSH so it shouldn't be that difficult.

More permanent AA droids or aliens could take longer, but could be done sometime in the near future.

ROTR opening can be done as a sort of "second grand opening" and could/should have a lot of pomp and circumstance if they feel the land needs some PR boost. I wouldn't be surprised if - assuming the internal panic is accurate - this is something that has been already been fast tracked/worked on for the past 2 months.

As an aside, what is the status for Jedi Academy at DHS? I was suprised to see in the article that it was removed from DL - I assumed it was ongoing as part of everything Star Wars. I would hope it stays at DHS as it is a nice compliment to ST and doesn't have to be part of the story for SW:GE.

Last edited:

doctornick

I was watching a video from Collider today and a guest on the show helped me see one of the major problems with Galaxy's Edge. She pointed out that beyond MF:SR and maybe the Play App, everything else designed to immerse you in the Star Wars universe requires spending extra money to participate. Want to build a droid that will interact with the land? Pony up $100 +tax. Want that droid to have a more interesting personality? That'll cost even more. Want to build a lightsaber? $200. Want to experience the cantina? Be prepared to fork over the funds here, too, pal. So if you had to pay the cost of a day ticket to get in and don't want to (or simply CAN'T) spend beyond that, you get the ride and maybe the app (if they actually get it working in DHS). You get to walk around and watch everyone else's droids boop and beep around the land and you get to see the props. That's it. Enjoy!

Definitely a problem. I'm actually very surprised they didn't have some sort of show/intermittent entertainment lined up from the start for this reason. I mean, at least something in the times guide that goes on every hour or something.

Or certainly a proper walk through attraction. I've said before, but why not have some sort of a (free) walk through at the droid factory where you an see droids being made or repaired or whatever. Then the making a droid paid experience can be more detailed and obviously you get a droid out of it.

Disney of late has really been underbuilding the amount of "stuff to do" in new lands. The details and exploration and easter eggs are nice, but only after you have a good amount of proper clear entertainment. As much as I enjor Pandora, it really needed at least one more experience as well.

doctornick

A ride would be great, but if capacity issues were part of the problem - just build one of those creatures and have it walk around with cast members riding it.
People would marvel at it.

This. Even if not in the streets, just build one and put it in a pen moving around.

Just like there is no reason not to have some droids moving back and forth along the elevated walkways. Jut putting a droid on a stick moving around wouldn't have been some budget buster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom