Cell phones on rides (rant)

ppete1975

Try going to a concert. While some performers have a strict (they will cancel the show if they see one camera) no camera rule, others don't care and its horrendous. I was recently at a intimate (special invite) concert for luke combs maybe 100 people total. And everyone had their arms raised with their iphones or tablets recording the entire concert. After awhile I told the people in front of me to stop (the entire family was doing it), its one thing to film with your backlight dwon in front of your face. But when your backlight is all the way up and you are holding it as high as possible, you are blocking everyone behind you. I saw footage of a concert recently that was from about 10 years ago.. it was glorious it was like looking at the stars with no light pollution. Now this is what you see....

Mander

In the Parks
No
Totally depends on how it's done. You can be discreet- silence the device, dim the screen as low as it will go, and don't hold it high enough to obscure anyone else's view.

I'd venture a guess that the people who do all of those things don't get noticed often. It's the people being rude you notice. I took way more video on our trip last fall than I ever had before. My nephew, who was fourteen, was a few months out from his first ever trip. I'd send him clips of things we were doing- he loved it and got so excited for his visit! But I was always conscious of those around me. I filmed a chunk of It's a Small World but I did all the things listed above. I also usually kept my phone right in front of my body or down near my lap to minimize the risk of bothering someone. When I recorded Happily Ever After, I kept my phone down low in front of my chest. It is possible to record these things and be polite!

What I don't understand is why folks can't manage to do these very simple things.

BoarderPhreak

Use a camera with a proper EVF (not a rear screen) when shooting video. Nobody will know or be bothered, and you can properly see/adjust the settings. You need a camera that can do good video, a bright(er) lens, stabilization and most of all - good high-ISO performance. That leaves out most, if not all smartphones.

Heppenheimer

Try going to a concert. While some performers have a strict (they will cancel the show if they see one camera) no camera rule, others don't care and its horrendous. I was recently at a intimate (special invite) concert for luke combs maybe 100 people total. And everyone had their arms raised with their iphones or tablets recording the entire concert. After awhile I told the people in front of me to stop (the entire family was doing it), its one thing to film with your backlight dwon in front of your face. But when your backlight is all the way up and you are holding it as high as possible, you are blocking everyone behind you. I saw footage of a concert recently that was from about 10 years ago.. it was glorious it was like looking at the stars with no light pollution. Now this is what you see....View attachment 397073View attachment 397074
Dear God! This is why I hope millennials never discover classical music (but classical music still staying alive some how).

erasure fan1

The whole debate boils down to manners. Unfortunately we are in a time where not having common courtesy is no longer frowned upon. No business will enforce this kind of thing because they are too worried about bad press. For the most part, people do not care about their surroundings. How many times do people stop in the middle of an exit to do something, instead of taking 2 more steps and moving to the side. Its not just Disney, it's society as a whole unfortunately.

DreamalittleDisney

distracting?? sure, vacation ruining?? not so much. I pretty much try and let the small stuff roll, actually I tend to fell bad because society no longer knows how to enjoy the "moment" . I recognized that one time while recording my sons graduation, realized that I really didn't experience it because I had my face in a screen trying to "capture" it.

Sorry you had a bad experience op
I get this! My first trip with my little one I have everything documented in video and photos but second trip with him I thought back and realised I'd missed certain bits like watching his face during certain magical moment because I was trying to take a good shot! Felt pretty cr*happy about it so ensured phones were away for shows and fireworks on the 2nd trip and sure it will be the same on his 3rd trip. I also stopped using all social media platforms think this helps to live in the moment and enjoy those around you rather than trying to show the world your perfect trip!

Elfinko

Ironically, I think you get more information and sensory recall from a good photo than you do from a shaky cell phone video with tin can audio. I don't get the video on rides thing myself. Good photos take too much patience and attention from the ride itself. Sometimes we do a quick group selfie before the ride starts.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I šŸ‘ you?
Premium Member
On a related note,as one who avoids having my picture taken, I really have a hard time understanding selfies. And food pictures - I just don't get it. Put the phone away and enjoy what you're seeing!

*end of rant*
Iā€™ll usually take a quick, no flash pic of my food when Iā€™m out some place on vacation. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever shared one on social media before, but I like coming across them when scanning through pictures of a trip. It allows you to remember, ā€œoh yeah, that meal was really good, I liked that restaurantā€ or ā€œman, that meal was bad, I think weā€™ll skip that place if we ever make it back.ā€

That said, I do it as discretely as possible and am not that person trying to get their face in the photo or walking around the table trying to get the ā€œperfectā€ artistic food photo! šŸ˜

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its nothing new.
And before that it was everyone keeping their flash on which to me was more annoying than seeing someone filming.
We live in a world that we have a phone/camera/computer... all in the palm of our hand so this should not come as a surprise and its not going anywhere.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I think it depends upon where the other guest's screen is, in relation to your line of sight. For example, I was sitting in a middle row on the boat in Small World. A guest in front of me had her tablet held up (directly in my line of sight) for the entire ride. It was distracting.

On rides such as Haunted Mansion, each group has its own Doom Buggy space. If people in other buggies are filming, it doesn't distract me.
The flash photography is really the only thing that really irks me. I know people used to carry camcorders but it just seems so pervasive now with cell phones because you just see so many people holding them up and watching through the phone than live it seems. It's their choice but I really wonder how often they even go and watch those videos in their phones. I'm personally not a "phone person" and very rarely take pictures of anything but if that's what people wanna do I guess it's up to them. They probably think I'm weird for NOT keeping my phone in my hand every waking second. LOL!

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

On a related note,as one who avoids having my picture taken, I really have a hard time understanding selfies. And food pictures - I just don't get it. Put the phone away and enjoy what you're seeing!

*end of rant*
One thing I've always found so odd about the social media age is how the mundane seems to be so celebrated. As a joke I once called somebody and left a voicemail that said "I'm sitting at a red light". Then I hung up and called right back and left another one that said "I just pulled out. LOL!" Then I called back and said "I just facebooked you". I was just joking about how silly it is to actually CALL someone to tell them these mundane things but when you put it on facebook it suddenly makes it seem "interesting" even though it's literally just as useless information there as it is in person. I feel the same about what people eat. If I called someone and said "I'm about to eat beans and cornbread for supper" they'd be like "Um. Ok...." but on facebook it's supposed to like give me "status" or something? I just think it's really weird how the mundane is seemingly glamorous on social media but I don't do social media so maybe that's why I don't really "get it". I'm fine not getting it though.

SSH

No business will enforce this kind of thing because they are too worried about bad press.

That's the problem - rude people have no problem indignantly screaming and complaining the moment they don't get to do what they want - aka "bad press." If enough of the polite people got just as vocal - complaining and causing a stink to management when others ruin their experience, business would pay some attention to them.

Unfortunately, too many of us fume silently or to our companions or vent on boards like these instead of raising the issue with the business itself. So the business doesn't have to worry about us - we're the suckers who will just put up with whatever. They end up fearing and kowtowing to the rude ones to keep them happy.

ppete1975

Dear God! This is why I hope millennials never discover classical music (but classical music still staying alive some how).
That begs a question. I wonder how operas, theater shows (like cats)treat phones. Are they allowed? I know some concerts make you use yonder.
Pretty cool idea maybe disney could do this. Like now you secure your stuff on roller coasters. Actually they could just make boxes on the rides where you put your phone hat personal items in and when the vehicle is in motion it locks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom