DVC members. 2nd class citizens???

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
So I read an interesting post on another thread and the poster said that they always felt like DVC members were treated like 2nd class citizens.

My question is: what did you expect upon purchasing your dvc and do you feel that we are treated "less than"?

Maybe it's because I had experience with timeshares prior to purchasing my membership (a family member has a marriott membership) I did not have an expectation of "extras". I knew that basically what we were buying is our future accommodations at today's lower rate. that's it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So I read an interesting post on another thread and the poster said that they always felt like DVC members were treated like 2nd class citizens.

My question is: what did you expect upon purchasing your dvc and do you feel that we are treated "less than"?

Maybe it's because I had experience with timeshares prior to purchasing my membership (a family member has a marriott membership) I did not have an expectation of "extras". I knew that basically what we were buying is our future accommodations at today's lower rate. that's it.
In what way did they feel like second class citizens? What prompted that feeling? Was it because something was offered to regular cash paying guests, and not to DVC members? When we go, we've never felt that way at all.

The one and only thing we expected when we bought in was to save money on our resort costs. We've saved over $30,000 on resort costs so far, and it will only continue to grow. We've never expected perks, but will happily use them if we can.

correcaminos

Do you have a link to this article? I've been an owner since 2004 - so 15 years - and I cannot think of any time I was treated like a 2nd class citizen. I'd love to see exactly why they think they are.

If this is over the SW:GE stuff, then I have no qualms about calling them entitled snobs.

We expected rooms. That was it. Nothing more, nothing less. Then again in 2004 the perks of being an owner were less than now. Only thing worth mentioning was the valet parking but that wasn't DVC's fault.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Do you have a link to this article? I've been an owner since 2004 - so 15 years - and I cannot think of any time I was treated like a 2nd class citizen. I'd love to see exactly why they think they are.

If this is over the SW:GE stuff, then I have no qualms about calling them entitled snobs.

We expected rooms. That was it. Nothing more, nothing less. Then again in 2004 the perks of being an owner were less than now. Only thing worth mentioning was the valet parking but that wasn't DVC's fault.

yes. it wasn't an article, it was actually another thread. The Bob Iger thread. I just found it very interesting. I did ask for a clearer explanation.

can honestly tell you that even as a DVC member for 10 years I've always felt like a second class citizen. I feel like with us Disney knows they sorta "have us" but they want all those that aren't "hooked" they just wanna try and appeal to them. I've talked to a lot of DVC members that feel the same.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

In what way did they feel like second class citizens? What prompted that feeling? Was it because something was offered to regular cash paying guests, and not to DVC members? When we go, we've never felt that way at all.

The one and only thing we expected when we bought in was to save money on our resort costs. We've saved over $30,000 on resort costs so far, and it will only continue to grow. We've never expected perks, but will happily use them if we can.
I didn't know there was an article about that but there were different things when we first joined that are actually not the same anymore. Initially, at Bay Lake Tower (which is where we are members) you couldn't even check in over there and had to do it at Contemporary. That was just kinda annoying. The recent thing they done that really irked me personally was how many limits they put on Moonlight Magic attendance but then literally make the same exact event for general guests and sell tons of tickets to it. Also if you try and call the main line of Disney for some things and it turns out you're a DVC member they literally can't do anything to help you and that's just sort of annoying from time to time. Don't get me wrong, though. I LOVE BEING A DVC MEMBER AND COULD NEVER EVER EVER IMAGINE GOING BACK TO NOT BEING ONE! We've had INCREDIBLE accommodations for the last 10 years that would qualify as "once in a lifetime" trips for the vast majority of people and we get those accommodations three times a year! That's an INSANELY good deal for us. I just don't feel like Disney necessarily "values" us as much as they do those staying at the All Star resorts for once in a lifetime because I feel like Disney knows we're on the hook and they want those people to be on the hook as well.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I didn't know there was an article about that but there were different things when we first joined that are actually not the same anymore. Initially, at Bay Lake Tower (which is where we are members) you couldn't even check in over there and had to do it at Contemporary. That was just kinda annoying.
Which, due too DVC members complaints, you can now check in at BLT. Yes, they may have messed up initially, but they fixed it. They do listen to member complaints and attempt to fix what they can. So checking in at the same place as people that are paying hundreds of dollars per night, when you are paying zero, felt like a second class citizen?

The recent thing they done that really irked me personally was how many limits they put on Moonlight Magic attendance but then literally make the same exact event for general guests and sell tons of tickets to it.

So now you're complaining about something you get for FREE, when others have to pay money for the same exact experience? Seems like the people that have to pay would feel like second class citizens, when they realize that they have to pay for something that we get for free. And can you please point me to the proof that the limit the Moonlight Magic tickets any more than the paid events?

Also if you try and call the main line of Disney for some things and it turns out you're a DVC member they literally can't do anything to help you and that's just sort of annoying from time to time.

Umm, sorry, but as a DVC member for 10 years, you should be well aware that you call Member Services for anything first. There is nothing that I have found that they cannot do that the regular resort line can. I have never been directed by them to call anywhere else, regardless of the question. And so you have a dedicated team of DVC professionals that can help you with anything, and you think you are second class? Again, I would think that the people that don't have a dedicated team would feel more like second class citizens. You have a private line to call and get things done. They don't.

Don't get me wrong, though. I LOVE BEING A DVC MEMBER AND COULD NEVER EVER EVER IMAGINE GOING BACK TO NOT BEING ONE! We've had INCREDIBLE accommodations for the last 10 years that would qualify as "once in a lifetime" trips for the vast majority of people and we get those accommodations three times a year! That's an INSANELY good deal for us. I just don't feel like Disney necessarily "values" us as much as they do those staying at the All Star resorts for once in a lifetime because I feel like Disney knows we're on the hook and they want those people to be on the hook as well.
Nothing you have stated looks like you are treated as a second class citizen. I would argue that the shoe is really on the other foot, and regular guests - especially those at a value resort - should feel like second class citizens.

I will absolutely agree with loving being a DVC member and incredible accommodations that we have stayed at!

Club Cooloholic

Which, due too DVC members complaints, you can now check in at BLT. Yes, they may have messed up initially, but they fixed it. They do listen to member complaints and attempt to fix what they can. So checking in at the same place as people that are paying hundreds of dollars per night, when you are paying zero, felt like a second class citizen?

So now you're complaining about something you get for FREE, when others have to pay money for the same exact experience? Seems like the people that have to pay would feel like second class citizens, when they realize that they have to pay for something that we get for free. And can you please point me to the proof that the limit the Moonlight Magic tickets any more than the paid events?

Umm, sorry, but as a DVC member for 10 years, you should be well aware that you call Member Services for anything first. There is nothing that I have found that they cannot do that the regular resort line can. I have never been directed by them to call anywhere else, regardless of the question. And so you have a dedicated team of DVC professionals that can help you with anything, and you think you are second class? Again, I would think that the people that don't have a dedicated team would feel more like second class citizens. You have a private line to call and get things done. They don't.

Nothing you have stated looks like you are treated as a second class citizen. I would argue that the shoe is really on the other foot, and regular guests - especially those at a value resort - should feel like second class citizens.

I will absolutely agree with loving being a DVC member and incredible accommodations that we have stayed at!
I dont have the length of time as a member that you guys have but I will say that on my first DVC trip I did not feel like a second class citizen. In fact, when there was construction noise starting at 7AM outside our window in the Poly, Member services was fantastic as was the front desk.

raymusiccity

You will always find comments from 'trolls' and people looking to get 'comped' in all avenues of entertainment or lodging. For example, look at comments posted for Aulani or even the Four Seasons. You'll find thousands of 4 Star ratings for the 'best vacation ever!'.......then you'll see the bottom dwellers posting 'Terrible' reviews.....'worst vacation ever'...... 'all staff members are rude'......'never coming back'.
I'll bet each one of those people 'come back' for a discount or a 'sorry for your poor experience' apology from misguided management. These are exactly the kind of people that you do not want returning to your establishment, restaurant, hotel or time share. :greedy:

nickys

Premium Member

Just to add to this.

Member Services can also do things that the regular resort CMs cannot do, or won’t do. Like make ADRs for all parts of a split stay, for example. That is one “perk” which I think is often forgotten. And it applies to any member whether they bought direct or resale, and even if part of it is a cash reservation at a regular resort.

nickys

Premium Member

“Entitled”, certainly. Not so sure about the “snobs” part.

I do understand why people are upset, but the reasons are pretty clear cut. Look at how fast a week of previews went for platinum AP holders. And of course, many DVCers do have Platinum APs anyway, even if the majority have Gold ones.

Nottamus

We bought resale just before the 2016 restrictions set in, and it was the smartest thing we've done! I never felt entitled OR second class...
It allowed us to go to WDW AKL twice a year which we would not be able to do without a DVC!!

Our excitement was contagious, as two of our friends also purchased contracts!

The internet: a place for everyone to complain about at everything at least once.....

Last edited:

BhamDisney

I've been a DVC member since 2007--never felt like a second class citizen--HOWEVER--I do feel that DVC Members sell their power short. As a collective--DVC fills a good bit of rooms--and Disney NEEDS members to go to the parks.

I have always said that DVC members--from time to time--should be offered discounted tickets--a far better discount than members receive currently--especially considering the rate at which prices are rising.

Again--the DVC investment is a good one--I understand what I'm saving in hotel rooms, etc. However, I do understand Disney doesn't do that out of the kindness of their hearts. Which is why this has always irked me--why DVC members 'settle'--feeling like Disney is 'giving' them something.

Do people not want more? The money I've saved in stays--Disney has likely balanced out with ticket cost/food cost/toy cost in the parks. There is NO way DVC is a money loser for them--they would never continue to do it.

Is asking for a little bit more of a discount too much to ask for?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I've been a DVC member since 2007--never felt like a second class citizen--HOWEVER--I do feel that DVC Members sell their power short. As a collective--DVC fills a good bit of rooms--and Disney NEEDS members to go to the parks.

I have always said that DVC members--from time to time--should be offered discounted tickets--a far better discount than members receive currently--especially considering the rate at which prices are rising.

Again--the DVC investment is a good one--I understand what I'm saving in hotel rooms, etc. However, I do understand Disney doesn't do that out of the kindness of their hearts. Which is why this has always irked me--why DVC members 'settle'--feeling like Disney is 'giving' them something.

Do people not want more? The money I've saved in stays--Disney has likely balanced out with ticket cost/food cost/toy cost in the parks. There is NO way DVC is a money loser for them--they would never continue to do it.

Is asking for a little bit more of a discount too much to ask for?
So not defending DVC, but they do at least offer us the same price on APs as Florida residents, and the ability to purchase a Gold Pass, instead of having to buy the higher level Premium passes. Now, those Florida resident DVC members don't really get any benefit (other than being able to pay monthly for their passes) from the discounts. We can also buy the TiW, that saves us a ton of money, which no one but Florida residents and DVC members are allowed to purchase.

Now saying that, would be buy the Premium Plus APs if they offered them at $399 again? Oh heck yeah! We bought those before, and would certainly do it again. But until then, we are glad we get to buy the Gold Pass, as we get all of the benefits of Premium, with a few blockout dates - which we would never go there during those days anyway.

I don't feel that we are settling for anything. There are actually quite a few more perks now than when we bought in so many years ago. The discounts on APs are better as well. For example, back in 2010, the discount for DVC on a Premium AP was $125. Now the discount is $220. So you are getting almost double the discount from just 9 years ago. I would never consider a bigger discount as settling!

There is a fine line between wanting more, and coming off as entitled. As a DVC member, you are ONLY entitled to resort cost savings, and that is all we have ever expected. We are glad for additional perks and discounts, but never expect that we are entitled to them. We aren't, and if someone is buying into DVC expecting the perks, then they are buying for all the wrong reasons.

BhamDisney

So not defending DVC, but they do at least offer us the same price on APs as Florida residents, and the ability to purchase a Gold Pass, instead of having to buy the higher level Premium passes. Now, those Florida resident DVC members don't really get any benefit (other than being able to pay monthly for their passes) from the discounts. We can also buy the TiW, that saves us a ton of money, which no one but Florida residents and DVC members are allowed to purchase.

Now saying that, would be buy the Premium Plus APs if they offered them at $399 again? Oh heck yeah! We bought those before, and would certainly do it again. But until then, we are glad we get to buy the Gold Pass, as we get all of the benefits of Premium, with a few blockout dates - which we would never go there during those days anyway.

I don't feel that we are settling for anything. There are actually quite a few more perks now than when we bought in so many years ago. The discounts on APs are better as well. For example, back in 2010, the discount for DVC on a Premium AP was $125. Now the discount is $220. So you are getting almost double the discount from just 9 years ago. I would never consider a bigger discount as settling!

There is a fine line between wanting more, and coming off as entitled. As a DVC member, you are ONLY entitled to resort cost savings, and that is all we have ever expected. We are glad for additional perks and discounts, but never expect that we are entitled to them. We aren't, and if someone is buying into DVC expecting the perks, then they are buying for all the wrong reasons.
Totally agree--and I promote and sell DVC to people all the time--just saying, as you mentioned, throw us a bone every now and then. The discounts rival the annual pass--which we buy anyway.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I'm not "complaining about something I get for free". I'm complaining that they limit the crap out of it for DVC members but then have the same exact thing but call it "After Hours" and charge tons for it and let way more people in. Also the DVC can NOT do everything and I just learned that a few months ago. In May they ROYALLY screwed up our reservation and didn't have our room ready until 9:30 at night and they actually comped us a free night because of it and gave us a number to call when we wanted to book our next trip and have the free day added. Then when we called THAT number they told us they didn't have access because it was DVC stuff and then when we called DVC they told us they didn't have access because it was a comped thing and neither seemed to really know how to handle it and it was just a little irritating that neither side knew what to do. Disney treats the DVC as an inconvenience it seems. I know the DVC tries to take care of its members but often it seems Disney doesn't care as much about them.

correcaminos

“Entitled”, certainly. Not so sure about the “snobs” part.

I do understand why people are upset, but the reasons are pretty clear cut. Look at how fast a week of previews went for platinum AP holders. And of course, many DVCers do have Platinum APs anyway, even if the majority have Gold ones.
Snob in that the sense of they think they are above others and elevated above others. It's not just a snob if that makes sense. Us Americans often put phrases together not meant to be picked apart LOL I nearly said brat but second guessed myself and thought snob was more fitting since they think they are super high on the totem pole.

I truly don't get why people are upset if they are DVC. Our money goes towards accommodations, nothing else. We're not really entitled to anything.

I'm not "complaining about something I get for free". I'm complaining that they limit the crap out of it for DVC members but then have the same exact thing but call it "After Hours" and charge tons for it and let way more people in. Also the DVC can NOT do everything and I just learned that a few months ago. In May they ROYALLY screwed up our reservation and didn't have our room ready until 9:30 at night and they actually comped us a free night because of it and gave us a number to call when we wanted to book our next trip and have the free day added. Then when we called THAT number they told us they didn't have access because it was DVC stuff and then when we called DVC they told us they didn't have access because it was a comped thing and neither seemed to really know how to handle it and it was just a little irritating that neither side knew what to do. Disney treats the DVC as an inconvenience it seems. I know the DVC tries to take care of its members but often it seems Disney doesn't care as much about them.

While I am sorry for your issues, I don't think that is the norm, nor do I see Disney treating DVC different or inconvenient to them. I've had mostly good service in my 15 years of too many nights to count. Some not so great but nothing that makes me feel lesser.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

The really hilarious thing about all of this is that everyone talks about people "complaining" and "expecting stuff" or whatever BUT if any perk gets took they all get online to whine about it. I can't tell you how much whining I heard when Disney started taking perks from people not buying direct contracts. Our first two contracts were direct and our 3rd add on was through resale but we still of course get whatever deals we get (although they are diminishing compared to what they were) but the people who thought they were gonna lose a perk in that new policy were flipping out.

bUU

I'll bet each one of those people 'come back' for a discount or a 'sorry for your poor experience' apology from misguided management. These are exactly the kind of people that you do not want returning to your establishment, restaurant, hotel or time share. :greedy:
And these are the people responsible for forcing those establishments to modify their responses to such concerns in order to crack down on the abuse and exploitation of their generosity. Most of the times someone whines, "Why doesn't Disney do X like they used to in situations like Y?" the answer is because other people found loopholes to obtain X for themselves even though Y wasn't inflicted on them.

ryguy

I would assume the person who wrote this post bought on the secondary market. There are points that can be made that those purchasers could argue they feel like second class owners. There is a symbiotic relationship between direct and resale. Disney is starting to murky up that relationship. Will be interesting to see how things shake out over the next few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom