Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Is It possible this path will eventually be for foot traffic, but some other conveyance initially.

Trams for instance.

I’m thinking there is an expected extended monorail downtime in the near future.
I'm no engineer, but that bridge doesn't look like it's built for long-term tram traffic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Applying logic here, if it were a future new resort adjoining the path, why build the path now? We haven’t even seen balloons suggesting a future resort have we? Thus no immediate need to provide access for a resort a couple of years away. So a new resort can’t be the driving force for building the path now after all these years.
The second possibility is that due to the building they’ve already done - VGF, BLT tower, Poly conversion - the existing transportation options aren’t up to the task & the path is an attempt to lesson existing crowding.
The third possibility is that there is planned reduction in the existing transportation - either monorails being reduced or boats.
I hope it’s not the boats - I love the boats.
This would actually be the right way to do it. It seems odd because most companies/governments do infrastructure backwards. It is much easier to install bridges, roadways, drainage, etc before they are needed vs after.

Monorail_Orange

This would actually be the right way to do it. It seems odd because most companies/governments do infrastructure backwards. It is much easier to install bridges, roadways, drainage, etc before they are needed vs after.
Spot on. For all the criticism we heap on TDO (and the vast majority of it is fair and valid), RCID and TDO do seem to have a very good concept of future infrastructure needs. I'm really kinda stuck on the idea that there is something more on the horizon.

Monorail_Orange

Just fishin’...
Assuming it’s not meant for short term tram use either right?
I'm no structural engineer, but to me, the bridge looks suitable for non-motorized traffic plus ECV's (scooters). It does not look like it's designed to support the weight of parking lot trams under any circumstances.

Beacon Joe

and it is a lot farther than it looks...

🤣 o_O :banghead:

LOL. From the current resort launch location, it will only be ~ 0.8 miles to the farthest point of the Grand Floridian (the front portico of the DVC building), and only ~ 0.7 miles to walk to the main portico of the Grand Floridian. For comparison, that's less than an lap longer than the walk from the Grand Floridian main building over to the Grand Ceremonial House, which hundreds of people make every single day. And this distance is just shy of the length of the walk from EPCOT Center's security gates to the Mistukoshi.

If you have ever stayed at the Grand Floridian, left the Magic Kingdom at closing time, and seen the lines for the monorail and the resort launch, you would know that this walkway will get used a lot. And guests have wanted it for a long time.

mj2v

Taken Thursday

Attachments

• E4A6811C-F491-479F-9597-F626421EA807.jpeg
    E4A6811C-F491-479F-9597-F626421EA807.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 166

tirian

Photo update as of Thursday, August 8, 2019. A better view of the bridge work for the walkway between the Grand Floridian Resort and the Magic Kingdom.

View attachment 396784

Note the swing bridge has already been delivered to the site, however the footings for the bridge have not even begun yet.

View attachment 396785

It’s about time! This might convince me to stay at the GF again rather than the Contemporary, but of course only with substantial discounts ;).

Anyone who’s had to fight the evening resort line monorail from the MK will probably appreciate this path.

Last edited:

MrPromey

🤣o_O:banghead:

LOL. From the current resort launch location, it will only be ~ 0.8 miles to the farthest point of the Grand Floridian (the front portico of the DVC building), and only ~ 0.7 miles to walk to the main portico of the Grand Floridian. For comparison, that's less than an lap longer than the walk from the Grand Floridian main building over to the Grand Ceremonial House, which hundreds of people make every single day. And this distance is just shy of the length of the walk from EPCOT Center's security gates to the Mistukoshi.

If you have ever stayed at the Grand Floridian, left the Magic Kingdom at closing time, and seen the lines for the monorail and the resort launch, you would know that this walkway will get used a lot. And guests have wanted it for a long time.

What does this say about the state of things when the welcome transportation improvement for the guests staying in some of the most expensive rooms on property is to add nearly an extra mile to their day (two if we're talking round trip) to their walk to avoid the problems with what Disney is already providing them to the park they paid to be closest to?

Not saying there's anything wrong with walking if that's what you want to do for fun or health but wanting to walk to avoid the hassle of Disney's transportation speaks to a problem of Disney's creation here, in my opinion, and certainly doesn't feel like it should be the mindset of someone who is spending hundreds of dollars a night on a "premium" room.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom