Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

I mentioned that we did not choose the party for the Villains but there was one offering I was very excited about and we happened to catch it by accident!

After BTMRR, we decided to head for Haunted Mansion. Off in the distance we spotted this ~

View attachment 396703

We picked up our pace and followed alongside Maleficent until she made the turn at Liberty Square.

View attachment 396702

View attachment 396701

Seeing her spew flames at night was really cool! Ominous music played during her trek and the creepy stilts performers led the way.

It was a highlight of our night!

It was the highlight of our party as well. So fun to see her at night!

Spash007

We had some time to kill before HEA. Not enough time to wait standby for an attraction. We figured we’d just hang out in Frontierland.

View attachment 396529

As we meandered, I suddenly noticed Em was no longer with me.

This was where I found her.

View attachment 396526

Did you know that the Shootin’ Gallery is free? We didn’t. Last time I was there I remember exchanging a dollar bill for quarters/tokens. But all the guns were operational and you could shoot at targets as long as you wanted.

View attachment 396527

View attachment 396528

But neither Em nor I are adolescent boys and the novelty wore off quickly (plus those guns are heavy!) I will say some fun surprises resulted upon hitting targets.

The sun was starting to set. Time to claim our fireworks spot.

View attachment 396525

I swear the shooting gallery used to be an extra charge. I believe when I was younger it was $0.25. My memory is fuzzy from the last two trips if we did it but I think we did. It's possible this is all wrong information, but it sounds right to me haha. I think in 2017 it was up to $1.25 (I remember it being more than a dollar), but in December 2018 I think it was free. I have a faint memory of my wife picking up a gun and realizing that it was on and we didn't need to pay. We thought it was just a glitch at that time, or someone paid by accident, but (if that really did happen) then I guess it was meant to be on!

So did Disney actually stop charging for something?? Never would've thought that would happen!

93boomer

Premium Member
Thursday, con’t

We finished our ice cream (the Mickey bar for sure; I think we threw away what remained of the ice cream sandwich) and went to get in line for BTMRR.

View attachment 396697

The sign said 20 minutes and we waited a full 20 minutes. A re-ride would not be happening. :cry:

We did get to appreciate some elements in the queue while we waited. I found this sign amusing.

View attachment 396699

We got the last car, though not the last row. But we got to experience the extra whipping in the back, so it was a stellar ride!

View attachment 396698
I love the “lit fuse by accident run and don’t come back”!🤣duh

epcotisbest

everything tastes better draped in dark chocolate
It was too late to be eating more ice cream (said @Longers.....NEVER!)

Mickey Bars are quite good. Shocked that was your first. We used to over indulge in Mickey Ice Cream Bars and also Magic Cookie Bars, but lately, since I have to watch my sugar intake closely, I tend save up my sugar credits for a Dole Whip, or at least a few bites of my wife's Dole Whip, and yes, she will share, but only a few bites.
Want to try something especially good covered in dark chocolate? If you ever go someplace that has chocolate covered Ruffles potato chips, try it. Crazy good. The salty, crispiness of the chips with the creaminess of the chocolate...yummmmm.

Janir

OK dear readers, I have made a *shocking* discovery.

I put on my Sherlock Holmes’ hat (or Columbo’s trench coat, or Jessica Fletcher’s spectacles, take your pick) and intently studied three photographs of the metal Mickey sculpture at the Contemporary ~ one from 1983, one from 1996 and one from 2019.

Guess what.

I purport the current Mickey is NOT the original. Nor is the one from 1996. The one in 1983 may be the original, as that is the earliest picture I could find (thanks to @MinnieM123.)

View attachment 395113

Note the North Garden Wing behind Mickey (where Bay Lake Tower now stands). Just rooms. Do you see any water? How about the beach? The sculpture seems to be installed in Chattahoochee stone (look it up), which also appears to be Mickey-shaped.

View attachment 395112

Note that the North Garden Wing is still standing, but behind Mickey is Bay Lake and on the far left in the photograph is beach. The sculpture is installed in paver stones (not Mickey-shaped). Mickey’s arms appear to be thinner and his shoes have a blue tint....although that may be the reflection of my rockin’ stonewashed denim shorts!

View attachment 395111

Bay Lake Tower has appeared and you can still see Bay Lake......but the marina and a building are now also in view. The paver stones are different (to be expected) but so is the base that secures the sculpture.

Obviously Mickey’s location has “shifted” over the years. But do you agree that today’s sculpture is not the original? Is a metal sculpture sturdy enough to withstand moving several times over many years?

I clearly have way too much time on my hands. :hilarious:
The base also looks like just a cover over the bolts so no one hurts themselves. Could be the same sculpture moved around a bit over the years.

Janir

Did you know that the Shootin’ Gallery is free? We didn’t. Last time I was there I remember exchanging a dollar bill for quarters/tokens. But all the guns were operational and you could shoot at targets as long as you wanted.

A4E1445A-993F-44E0-91C0-0872E4B06A9B.jpeg

7BB82146-A575-4C12-AD3C-8A507F359AD3.jpeg

But neither Em nor I are adolescent boys and the novelty wore off quickly (plus those guns are heavy!) I will say some fun surprises resulted upon hitting targets.
Did NOT know. Last time I tried them was probably 2014. As an accomplished Rifleman and instructor, the accuracy of those things really suck. Usually those things have some slop and that's expected, but the aim points are just plain off and they don't hold much a zero in the same place. Never wanted to spend any further money on them trying to suss out the zeroing issues and see if I can figure out how much change there is at distance and angles to the targets. But Free you say?? I might have to try in two weeks. :-D

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I swear the shooting gallery used to be an extra charge. I believe when I was younger it was $0.25. My memory is fuzzy from the last two trips if we did it but I think we did. It's possible this is all wrong information, but it sounds right to me haha. I think in 2017 it was up to $1.25 (I remember it being more than a dollar), but in December 2018 I think it was free. I have a faint memory of my wife picking up a gun and realizing that it was on and we didn't need to pay. We thought it was just a glitch at that time, or someone paid by accident, but (if that really did happen) then I guess it was meant to be on!

So did Disney actually stop charging for something?? Never would've thought that would happen!
It wasnt always free. Unless you were the first shooter of the day.
And yes, Disney is giving something away free!!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Exactly how I felt when we the did after hours at HS.
I think there needs to be an hour between park closing and an After Hours Event, like is done with MNSSHP. That way all the day guests get cycled through the attractions and the After Hours perk of "short waits" begins IMMEDIATELY when the party starts.

It seems DVC is no longer "The Best Kept Disney Secret." That honor now goes to the Frontierland Shootin' Gallery! :hilarious:

I don’t want you to be shamed alone @Tuvalu. I’ll admit I’ve never had a Mickey Bar or a citrus swirl yet either.
Awww, thanks for having my back!

Want to try something especially good covered in dark chocolate? If you ever go someplace that has chocolate covered Ruffles potato chips, try it. Crazy good. The salty, crispiness of the chips with the creaminess of the chocolate...yummmmm.
Ooooh, where would I find such a delicacy?

Did NOT know. Last time I tried them was probably 2014. As an accomplished Rifleman and instructor, the accuracy of those things really suck. Usually those things have some slop and that's expected, but the aim points are just plain off and they don't hold much a zero in the same place. Never wanted to spend any further money on them trying to suss out the zeroing issues and see if I can figure out how much change there is at distance and angles to the targets. But Free you say?? I might have to try in two weeks. :-D
You'll probably still be frustrated by the inaccuracy of the rifles! :joyfull:

Nobody tell my father, he'll be there all day...... :)
Wait until he starts bugging you and then tell him......:cautious:

DisneyGigi

I think there needs to be an hour between park closing and an After Hours Event, like is done with MNSSHP. That way all the day guests get cycled through the attractions and the After Hours perk of "short waits" begins IMMEDIATELY when the party starts.

It seems DVC is no longer "The Best Kept Disney Secret." That honor now goes to the Frontierland Shootin' Gallery! :hilarious:

Awww, thanks for having my back!

Ooooh, where would I find such a delicacy?

You'll probably still be frustrated by the inaccuracy of the rifles! :joyfull:

Wait until he starts bugging you and then tell him......:cautious:
Throwing around the idea of doing the MK after hours on the 29th, since we brought the little fella with us when we had it booked in November. Hoping maybe everyone will be so worn out from Star Wars opening it might be a good day to do it.
My luck everyone would be there avoiding it though! 😑
Also, I have never had my own Mickey Bar. I just take a bite off of B’s. (An ear of course) I am not a big ice cream fan except Dole Whips. And everybody thinks I am crazy, I know it is weird!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

There didn’t seem to be any special effects at Haunted Mansion, unless this cemetery lighting is different than the normal nighttime illumination.

6C290851-1515-40BF-BF74-1D716D6633BA.jpeg

94A0C365-21B5-4230-B3B1-63A319400830.jpeg

Next on our agenda was 7DMT. Our hope was that we were “far enough” into the party that the wait time would be short.

On our way there we passed the wall with the special party magic shot. There was no line and the photographer told us to stand against the wall and smile.

I’m fairly certain if a fiery serpent was bearing down on us we would not be smiling....

AC344127-F4C2-4A6D-9336-24168580BD7C.jpeg

Then she told us to act scared.

This resulting photo is so much better than the one above!

58C1CB1A-FA56-408B-8CE5-2535311E0D26.jpeg

The posted wait time for 7DMT was 20 minutes. We waited 15. Again a bit longer than I expected for the advertised “little to no wait”.

9C17A5ED-DA89-49CF-B25D-64319BE16099.jpeg

Em and I were set to load in the next train when we witnessed a humiliating moment for two men who were large in stature. They were traveling together with their wives (or girlfriends). The women climbed into the train and the men attempted to sit beside them.....only they did not fit. The poor men had to do the walk of shame to the exit.

Why weren’t they warned by a CM before waiting in line? Shouldn’t there be a test car in a discreet place where guests can discover if they are able to ride? There have probably been hundreds of others who have suffered the same embarrassing fate.

For some reason Em and I found the nighttime version of 7DMT a little frightening. :hilarious:

17A7BE8D-0A38-43BF-B5B9-F52B1EC77B9F.jpeg

69CA5806-A09C-4034-ACFB-70BEB2782CEB.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We began the party in Adventureland. We ended in Tomorrowland.

We popped into Mickey’s Star Traders to pick up our free AP party ornaments.

924B9014-69CA-4848-B338-E0CA033E4E11.jpeg

Then we went for an elevated spin around the cosmos.

ED00A8B5-4EA3-4F06-B01F-435F75D6FA87.jpeg

A ride on the Peoplemover is always dark through Space Mountain. Tonight it was REALLY dark because none of the lights in Space Mountain were on. “Total darkness” was the special party effect, and the wait to ride SM reflected the popularity of this feature. The posted wait never got below 25 minutes.....again, a far cry from “little to no wait.”

But Em and I were curious and got in line. It was a bad decision. I was starting to really feel my lack of sleep at this point and it seemed like forever before we boarded our rocket. And we weren’t even in the same one. 😕

C40B668D-D92E-4E6A-8AED-6AEF72E43281.jpeg

Were Jack Black and his friend praying for a safe flight?

Verdict?

We HATED it.

Em was discombobulated by the darkness. My uncertainty caused me to tense up my body, resulting in a painful pulled muscle in my back. My already-foggy head worsened with dizziness and I was thisclose to vowing never to ride Space Mountain again.

But the worst part was realizing we’d just wasted precious party time.

We made our way to the hub and caught some of the elaborate Villains stage show, which included projections and fireworks. What was your opinion of the show @NeverlandWendy? We didn’t see enough of it to formulate an opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom