Trip Report Buffalo, Bugs, and Beer - A lostpro9het Surf 'n' Turf report.

Alright, alright, alright let’s get this beast going! As pointed out in the PTR, this trip had some purpose to it and I wont rehash the reasons why here. I will say that we had an amazing time saying goodbye with some great surprises along the way. With that, lets go!

Saturday May 11th
We got up bright and early at 04:00 and were pulling away by 04:30. This seems to be the only time one can navigate through Atlanta without hitting traffic, sadly the same cannot be said for Henry County’s traffic. Anyway, our go-to pit stop is always Tifton where we fueled up and grabbed some breakfast at Starbucks, we skipped ChikFilA for some reason. About an hour later and we passed the boarder.
image2 (2).jpeg

All was going swimmingly until around the time we hit Gainesville. Then it was tick….tick…tick..tick. The swarm made its first appearance. The windshield started to look like a Jackson Pollock painting that could not be undone with wipers and fluid. I swear, lovebugs bleed quick dry contact adhesive, more on this later. Soon we were hitting the turnpike and then 429 to Western Way. We made right for home.
image1 (3).jpeg

IMG_6289.JPG

Last edited:

krisri18

Finally submitted my final grades for Summer semester just in time for the new school year to start, crazy times! Anyway...

Saturday May 14th, Nassau, cont.

After cleaning up we explored the ship a little more before 80's music trivia. We started aft and walked forward. We began in the adult district. Here's a wonderful view of the bathroom corridor.
View attachment 395905

We walked all the way forward to Walt's Disney Theatre before heading aft again.
View attachment 395906

As we headed back to 687 for trivia we noticed this contraption at the Bon Voyage bar. It sounded kinda amazing but no one was working the bar yet and we had to get back for trivia.
View attachment 395907
View attachment 395908
View attachment 395909
View attachment 395910
Straight out of chemistry class... Or maybe Potions with Snape. Lol

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Wednesday May 15th, Castaway Cay

Another great night of sleep and with a veranda free of lovebugs we would be eating breakfast on our deck! I went topside to grab a few pics until Cabanas opened. It was beautiful out.
IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6573.JPG

IMG_6572.JPG

IMG_6574.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

Cabanas opened and I got the text from my bride that room service had delivered their part so I made my way back to our room just in time for us backing into CC.
IMG_6576.JPG

IMG_6577.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

IMG_6579.JPG

IMG_6580.JPG

Things looked promising for a great day!

Straight out of chemistry class... Or maybe Potions with Snape. Lol
I would so be scoring all O's in my O.W.L.s in that class if this was the subject matter!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Wednesday May 15th, Castaway Cay, cont.

So after breakfast we decided to disembark with the Castaway Cay 5K group to get out a little early, 8:30ish. As we disembarked we grabbed some towels and followed the race herd.
GOPR2831.JPG

GOPR2832.JPG

We stayed with the pack until we hit the Pelican Point tram stop and grabbed a tram to Serenity Bay.
GOPR2833.JPG

GOPR2834.JPG

GOPR2835.JPG

GOPR2836.JPG

GOPR2837.JPG

We were one of the first trams to arrive and pretty much had the run of the beach.
GOPR2838.JPG

We picked a spot out about mid way down under an umbrella.
GOPR2840.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

After claiming a spot we waded out to test the water. Water was fine! There were a few clouds out but the temp was good.
GOPR2842.JPG

GOPR2843.JPG

GOPR2844.JPG

After exploring for a bit we made our way to shore for some drinks. I mixed up my Castaway Cocktail mix before disembarking and the DW went with a Konk Kooler.
GOPR2845.JPG

GOPR2846.JPG

We relaxed for a bit on the shoreline enjoying our drinks before heading back out to look for wildlife. The water was pretty clear and made spotting things pretty easy.
GOPR2847.JPG

GOPR2848.JPG

GOPR2849.JPG

GOPR2850.JPG

GOPR2851.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

We continued our way around the water. I don't know what it is but I LOVE looking for wildlife in the water. I could search for critters for hours. A first for us in all our times to Serenity Bay was finding this fella.
GOPR2852.JPG

GOPR2853.JPG

GOPR2855.JPG

It wasn't long before we came upon another one of these guys too.
GOPR2864.JPG

GOPR2862.JPG

GOPR2863.JPG

We were also being followed by a few friends . These guys made random appearances all day long. They sure weren't scared and took a real shine to the tourists.
GOPR2866.JPG

GOPR2868.JPG

We were a few hours in when it looked like trouble may be headed our way. Couldn't really tell if it was headed our way or running parallel with the island.
GOPR2872.JPG

Beach still looked good.
GOPR2873.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

Around 11:00 it was clear that the ominous clouds were heading our way and not out to sea. We weighed the idea of getting back on board for lunch or hitting up the Serenity Bay BBQ. The BBQ is one of my DW's favorite meals on the cruise so the decision was easy. We packed up our gear not knowing how bad/long the storm was going to be and headed for the BBQ.
GOPR2885.JPG

Somehow we beat the crowd and were right in the food queue.
GOPR2886.JPG

GOPR2887.JPG

GOPR2888.JPG

GOPR2889.JPG

GOPR2890.JPG

As we exited the line, we were fortunate to find a nice spot under an umbrella. The line to get food now was a good 20 yards long AND the skies opened up! I felt bad for the folks standing in line during the downpour but, honestly, the food is worth it. Speaking of which.
GOPR2891.JPG

GOPR2892.JPG

Now, again, if you followed along in the past you know what I went with for dessert. The only sad part about dessert is they no longer have the banana ice cream, boo, and I had to settle for vanilla/chocolate swirl.
GOPR2893.JPG

As we finished lunch, as fast as it started, the rain stopped and the sun came back out! So back to the beach we went!

lostpro9het

Original Poster

So after lunch we made our way back to the beach and things were looking good!
GOPR2894.JPG

GOPR2895.JPG

All the weather seemed to have passed over us and now out of mind.
GOPR2896.JPG

This meant we were back on the prowl for more wildlife. It didnt take long before we struck conch again. This time two of them were right next to each other.
GOPR2900.JPG

The first one we pulled out looked like your typical conch.
GOPR2899.JPG

GOPR2901.JPG

GOPR2902.JPG

GOPR2903.JPG

GOPR2904.JPG

The banana ice cream is my favorite, too! I can report it was on the Fantasy/Castaway in late June, along with strawberry. Hopefully it’s back to stay!

Great news! I hop its back for good!

lostpro9het

Original Poster

We swam and looked for wildlife for another couple hours then decided to head back to our chairs to hydrate. I grabbed the DW a mojito.
GOPR2916.JPG

I got a cup of ice for my CC mix. Speaking of cup, it seems DCL has moved to paper based cups now for Castaway.
GOPR2917.JPG

We sipped and relaxed for a while before deciding to head back to the ship. It was pushing 4:00 and all aboard time was closing in. We took a terrible selfie before embarking too...
GOPR2919.JPG

GOPR2920.JPG

Tonight was pirate night and our Mickey pirate gear was delivered to our room.
IMG_6588.JPG

We still had about 2 hours till Palo and decided to relax on the veranda for a bit as we pulled away from the island. This was a great time to try the next beer from the exchange.
IMG_6589.JPG

This was Local Legend by Deep Ellum Brewing. My untappd notes read: 3.75/5, Smooth, slightly smoky, and subtly sweet.

As I said, we were pulling away and the timing was probably ideal as it looked like the skies were about to open up.
IMG_6590.JPG

IMG_6591.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

So we relaxed on the veranda for a while before cleaning up for dinner. It was Pirate Night and if you've followed along in the past you know how we dress for Pirate Night and why.
IMG_6596.JPG

You also know this means one thing
IMG_6615.JPG

With Palo comes spaghetti & meatballs...
IMG_6614.JPG

...and some ornate restrooms.
IMG_6597.JPG

IMG_6598.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

As is tradition for us, we forgo the Pirate Night insanity and head for more peaceful dining. We had another wonderful ocean view table this experience.
IMG_6600.JPG

We were greeted by our waitstaff and presented menus. We chose some regulars and and some first timers. After ordering, the antipasto cart was brought to our table. A custom plate was created and given to us along side bread service. All was excellent as always.
IMG_6601.JPG

IMG_6602.JPG

Typically we roll with a bottle of red wine but tonight's wine list wasn't resonating with the both of us so the DW went with a glass of read.
IMG_6603.JPG

And I went with a double of Disney Select Bourbon by Creek.
IMG_6604.JPG

In addition to the antipasto we shared the arugula salad and the caprese salad.
IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6606.JPG

So far so excellent!

lostpro9het

Original Poster

After our apps we were given a palate cleanser, very refreshing as intended I suppose.
IMG_6607.JPG

Time for the main event. The DW decided to go with the Wild Mushroom Risotto.
IMG_6610.JPG

And it should come as no surprise that I went with the Palo tenderloin
IMG_6608.JPG

We asked to sample the Osso Buco which meant they brought out the whole dish. If the tenderloin wasn't on the menu I would probably get this every time. It was so tender and just melted as you ate it. Tons of flavor too!
IMG_6609.JPG

You'd think that after all that we would be tapped. We probably should have stopped but you just cannot come to Palo and not get the souffle, it is amazing. We had a cup of coffee to accompany it.
IMG_6612.JPG

IMG_6611.JPG

To close out the meal we were given an after dinner drink that was strong and tasty.
IMG_6613.JPG

[TANGENT_TIME]
We've got a cruise planned for Thanksgiving week and of course creep has just set in as we were able to add two nights at the end today.
PostCruise.jpg

[/TANGENT_TIME]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom