Golf cart rental at Fort Wilderness (not staying there)

planters49

Original Poster
We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside on our upcoming trip, but are planning to stay at Fort Wilderness on a future trip. We'd like to rent a golf cart and just explore the campground on the upcoming trip. Do they rent golf carts to non Fort Wilderness guests?

BASS

I suspect so, but don't know for sure . . . however, if you have a car, you can also do the drive and get the same experience (without paying the approximately $50 or so for rental).

I'd also suggest that if you do decide to rent a cart, try and make it out to the Chip 'N Dale campfire sing-a-long to extend your visit. It's a nice experience, particularly if you have kids (or enjoy s'mores). Bring bug spray!

planters49

Original Poster
Last year, we tried to drive around in the car, but they wouldn't let us. Maybe we tried at a bad time or something. Thanks for the Chip N' Dale tip, we'll try to check it out!

Minnie Mum

I suspect so, but don't know for sure . . . however, if you have a car, you can also do the drive and get the same experience (without paying the approximately $50 or so for rental).

You can't drive around the campsites if you aren't staying there. You have to park at the entrance lot and then take an internal bus.

Babacuss

You can reserve a cart without even having resort reservations on property. it's $65 a day and are usually ready before the 1 o'clock pick time ,unless its a busy/holiday weekend. I've gotten a cart as early as 9:30 before. Enjoy!

Commander Buzzy

Depending on how busy it is, you MAY be able to drive your vehicle through the campground or security will only allow guest wwith campground/cabin reservations as well as those with hoop de doo and trails end reservations and golf cart rentals. This is because there is no vehicle parking except at the outpost/check-in. Golf carts are $67 per night including tax. Guaranteed availability begims at 1 pm, but carts are USUALLY available earlier. Cart must be returned by 11 am.

WDWRLD

Make a reservation as they do book up and yes you can rent it for just one day. In the past we have rented one just for a day when staying at another Disney Resort. We planned a day at the Fort to have dinner at Trails and then ride around and see all the campsites decorated for Christmas. We picked up the cart at about 1pm. We rode around some then had a Trails reservation for about 4 I believe. By about the time we finished dining it was dark and we started to ride around and check out the loops. We stopped by and watched some of the movie at the campfire. Since we would be dropping it off late (around 10pm) we were told to park it at the building right near guest checkin and you leave the keys in the box. The busses are right there to get you back to your resort after a transfer at a park or DS.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside on our upcoming trip, but are planning to stay at Fort Wilderness on a future trip. We'd like to rent a golf cart and just explore the campground on the upcoming trip. Do they rent golf carts to non Fort Wilderness guests?

I believe so. I wasn't asked for my reservation number when I called, just the dates I wanted to reserve one. You can rent a golf cart up to a year in advance. Just need to cancel no later than 24 hours prior to rental date to get a refund.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Make a reservation as they do book up and yes you can rent it for just one day. In the past we have rented one just for a day when staying at another Disney Resort. We planned a day at the Fort to have dinner at Trails and then ride around and see all the campsites decorated for Christmas. We picked up the cart at about 1pm. We rode around some then had a Trails reservation for about 4 I believe. By about the time we finished dining it was dark and we started to ride around and check out the loops. We stopped by and watched some of the movie at the campfire. Since we would be dropping it off late (around 10pm) we were told to park it at the building right near guest checkin and you leave the keys in the box. The busses are right there to get you back to your resort after a transfer at a park or DS.

^^This. Call and rent one in advance. Make sure to write down the confirmation number you're given - you won't get an email confirming the rental.

WDWRLD

I believe so. I wasn't asked for my reservation number when I called, just the dates I wanted to reserve one. You can rent a golf cart up to a year in advance. Just need to cancel no later than 24 hours prior to rental date to get a refund.
Correct you do not have to be a Fort guest or a Disney guest at all. I do believe they asked if I was staying there so they could link the cart rental to a site but told them my plans.

Jgirlspic

Did they ask you for your cabin number? And how did you pay right away or at the end?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Did they ask you for your cabin number? And how did you pay right away or at the end?

They now ask for your reservation number when reserving a golf cart. You will have to provide a credit card number when making the reservation, but it's not charged until you return the cart.

Jgirlspic

They now ask for your reservation number when reserving a golf cart. You will have to provide a credit card number when making the reservation, but it's not charged until you return the cart.
Right, We have one booked but it's been awhile I couldn't remember what they required when actually pick it up.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Right, We have one booked but it's been awhile I couldn't remember what they required when actually pick it up.

Your photo ID, and that of anyone else who may be operating the cart, to prove you're old enough to drive the golf cart. I'd also have the reservation number handy.

Cowboy Steve

If you are feeling particularly energetic you could rent some bicycles and ride around the campground.

Something else you can do is go to Google Maps, and view the campground that way. Select the 'street' view and you can literally drive around all the loops and see the entire campground - including each individual site.

If you do decide to camp at Fort Wilderness in the future, there are some great off-site golf cart rental options. It costs almost 1/2 as much as renting from Disney. There is a downside though... outside rental companies aren't permitted to deliver carts on Disney property. You meet the rental company off-site in a parking lot, and use their trailer to haul the cart to the campground. Then run the trailer back out to them. And the same in reverse when turning the cart in. Yup, it's a pain... but worth saving $500. And to be honest, so far we haven't had to do the trailer dance yet. There has always been a cart being turned in the day we arrive, so the departing renters leave the cart at one of the cart parking areas and you pick it up there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom